June 12, 2019, 5:03pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +877
Gold Stars: 14
Quoted from Ipswin
lots of previous clubs and only a smattering of goals at those clubs

Quite rightly only a week or so ago you were (once again) bemoaning the break up of the 2016 promotion winning team.

However your quote above isn't entirely fair as Green's record of 132 goals from 456 games is fairly similar to Amond's record of 144 from 457.

You might not live in Grimsby any longer but you've certainly retained that "glass half empty" mentality Grimbarians seem to revel in.

62 Seasons following the Mariners from the Barrett Stand side.(apart from 2020-21)
[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DL2SD1UW4AAfaOx.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 126
June 12, 2019, 5:12pm
Guest User
All the negative crap from the usual suspects, and we are not even halfway through June yet!

I didn't see anyone moaning about how old Dizza was when he played for us, also I remember watching 36 year old David Perkins having a great game for League 1 club, Tranmere Rovers not so long ago, and who can forget our own Paul Futcher, signed at 35 years old, and was one of the best centre halves seen at Blundell Park.

Edit:  Tony Ford played regularly till the age of 42, his last 7 seasons were all played in Division 3, which is the equivalent of todays League 1.  
Reply: 61 - 126
Superdan147
June 12, 2019, 5:26pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -5
Approval: +112
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Barrattstander

Quite rightly only a week or so ago you were (once again) bemoaning the break up of the 2016 promotion winning team.

However your quote above isn't entirely fair as Green's record of 132 goals from 456 games is fairly similar to Amond's record of 144 from 457.

You might not live in Grimsby any longer but you've certainly retained that "glass half empty" mentality Grimbarians seem to revel in.

I think Matt green and paddy Amond is a very fair comparison. Remarkably similar records since 2011 in the fourth and fifth tiers. Both similar in terms of age, style of play too. Let’s hope Matt green can produce for us like Amond did!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 126
MuddyWaters
June 12, 2019, 5:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,277
Gold Stars: 236
Lincoln decided to effectively replace him with Akinde after MG had been top scorer the previous season. Very few Gimps seem to have a bad word about him and his scoring record is far better than anyone else at the club so let's give him the welcome he deserves rather than the usual, pre-conceived sniping.
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 126
Teesknees
June 12, 2019, 5:41pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,596
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from Barrattstander

He doesn't even have a glass!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 126
StaffsMariner
June 12, 2019, 5:51pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +428
Gold Stars: 6
"I liked him as a player, and if you accept that he will miss chances that he should score then you will like him, he will score goals at L2 I am sure"

Sounds like LJL from that comment.
I think this is a great first signing to go along with our younger forward players.
Anyone thinking hes too old should give him a chance before voicing concerns. Modern footballers dont retire at 30 anymore, thats the thinking that got Ivano playing here. Top flight clubs thought he was too old.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 126
quebec38
June 12, 2019, 6:04pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,588
Gold Stars: 48
Busy forward with decent pace has always been my opinion of him. Can play through the middle or wide as well. I think it’s a great signing to start things off. If he could get to 15 league goals I think that would be a good return and then anything more would be excellent in my eyes.
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 126
RonMariner
June 12, 2019, 7:03pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,786
Gold Stars: 226
Seems a well regarded player by the fans of other clubs he has played for.

The key thing will be the service we can deliver to him. Max Wright may well be the player to help with that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 126
Kris2
June 12, 2019, 7:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
The main difference between Green and Amond is that Green is more of a busybody around the pitch who will score and create maybe 1 in 10 attempts but with a high ratio of attempts will probably get results. Amond just tends to quietly lurk until an opening happens then tries to capitalise on it. Tends to score more of his chances at a lower ratio because he won't put himself about as much.

He'll probably end up being more of a Bogle that tries to do everything and you may get him on a good day or a not good day with no idea of which you get. Dunno if he's prone to sulking when things don't go his way like Bogle was not seen enough of him.
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 126
MuddyWaters
June 12, 2019, 7:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,277
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from RonMariner
Seems a well regarded player by the fans of other clubs he has played for.

The key thing will be the service we can deliver to him. Max Wright may well be the player to help with that.

Max Wright has played ONE league game, a meaningless dead rubber at that, let’s give him a chance to bed in before proclaiming him as the key to getting the best out of MG
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 126
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Matt Green signs

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.