KingstonMariner
February 3, 2019, 6:20pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from rancido

I'm not supporting any position , certainly not JF's. Just pointing out some scenarios in the situation. Once again a poster thinks because I don't condemn JF then I must support him. Can't somebody just be neutral and point out both sides of the argument? But then again this is The Fishy and opinions must be polarised - no middle ground allowed here. As far as the Slade fiasco is concerned , it seems that you would rather blame JF than consider there was another side to the situation.

Remind me, what was the other side to the Slade fiasco?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 63
KingstonMariner
February 3, 2019, 6:22pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
PS and don't tar the whole Fishy with my views. Some of the others are quite reasonable by comparison to me.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 63
MuddyWaters
February 3, 2019, 6:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from rancido

I'm not supporting any position , certainly not JF's. Just pointing out some scenarios in the situation. Once again a poster thinks because I don't condemn JF then I must support him. Can't somebody just be neutral and point out both sides of the argument? But then again this is The Fishy and opinions must be polarised - no middle ground allowed here. As far as the Slade fiasco is concerned , it seems that you would rather blame JF than consider there was another side to the situation.

The thing that remains glaringly obvious is that Slade in 2006 and Hurst in 2016 both left as soon as another club came calling. They are the only two managers that have been remotely successful since 2004 and I'm sure that Michael Jolley will also, in the future, have aspirations of working at a higher level.

Why, therefore, would you let the club's most important asset leave under his terms and not the club's? Isn't it just solid business practice to tie him in for as long as possible (if you believe in him, that is)?

Private Message
Reply: 32 - 63
rancido
February 4, 2019, 12:22pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,617
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from MuddyWaters

The thing that remains glaringly obvious is that Slade in 2006 and Hurst in 2016 both left as soon as another club came calling. They are the only two managers that have been remotely successful since 2004 and I'm sure that Michael Jolley will also, in the future, have aspirations of working at a higher level.

Why, therefore, would you let the club's most important asset leave under his terms and not the club's? Isn't it just solid business practice to tie him in for as long as possible (if you believe in him, that is)?

That's assuming he wants to be tied in to a longer contract. It may seem obvious to us that he would want that security but he might have a different vision for his future and anything other than a rolling contract doesn't fit in with that. Let's face it , you can't make him sign a different contract.
As far as Slade and Hurst were concerned I seem to recall they both went to higher division clubs.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 63
lew chaterleys lover
February 4, 2019, 12:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from rancido

That's assuming he wants to be tied in to a longer contract. It may seem obvious to us that he would want that security but he might have a different vision for his future and anything other than a rolling contract doesn't fit in with that. Let's face it , you can't make him sign a different contract.
As far as Slade and Hurst were concerned I seem to recall they both went to higher division clubs.

Gawd we are never going to get anywhere with an attitude like that.

If the Board think he is the right man to bring their much vaunted "footballing fortune" then back him to the hilt. Offer him better a better deal, ask him, plead with him to be the man that takes us up the leagues and get us respected in the game again.

Get him tied up and make it difficult for other clubs for the next few years to undo any good work by snapping him up. Lincoln has done that with a management team who they believed would be good for the club, why cannot we do the same if indeed the club thinks he is the right man?

I think Bigdog continually makes the point that without a vision and blueprint any improvements will be short-lived if the club doesn't know what it wants and has a plan to deliver it. If the Board think Jolley is the first brick in a long term plan then let them show some intent.

The board have to ignore people like me who wanted him gone after the Morecambe home game and that series of defeats, but they have the advantage of seeing him every day and by now will have formed their impressions of whether he is the right man or not.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 63
February 4, 2019, 1:04pm
Guest User
Quoted from Son of Cod

Just checked and we finished that match 4 points ahead of Notts County in 23rd, but they were beating Morecambe at a point when Northampton were beating us so that would have been correct yeah. Finished the match 9 points ahead of Macc though, so we never went bottom.

I've actually pulled something in my brain trying to work out the permutations of this.
Reply: 35 - 63
Biccys
February 4, 2019, 1:29pm
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from Meza
I'd also add a minimum fee release to give the club compensation

£2m should cover it nicely.....

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 36 - 63
ginnywings
February 4, 2019, 3:03pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
The problem we have had in the past is that we have mostly got managerial appointments wrong, and subsequently the players they brought into the club were also wrong, meaning lots of pay offs over the years. Rolling contracts for managers, and short term contracts for players has come about because we have got our fingers burned too often paying for recruitment mistakes. This also leads to short term thinking and waiting for something to click, or "football fortune" as it's known.

We need to get away from this and build something long term. We have started giving players longer contracts, so maybe it's about time we started to do the same with managers, as we used to. If you believe you have the right man for the job, back your judgement and give a 2 year deal. JF says that rolling contracts protect both parties, and he's right, until some massive club like Shrewsbury come along and take your manager from you.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 63
friskneymariner
February 4, 2019, 3:45pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Given that J.F has made so many poor decisions by the laws of probability sooner of later he was going to make a good one.You know he has got your backside out of the fire ,so now reward him with contract he deserves.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 63
rancido
February 4, 2019, 3:58pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,617
Gold Stars: 96

Gawd we are never going to get anywhere with an attitude like that.

If the Board think he is the right man to bring their much vaunted "footballing fortune" then back him to the hilt. Offer him better a better deal, ask him, plead with him to be the man that takes us up the leagues and get us respected in the game again.

Get him tied up and make it difficult for other clubs for the next few years to undo any good work by snapping him up. Lincoln has done that with a management team who they believed would be good for the club, why cannot we do the same if indeed the club thinks he is the right man?

I think Bigdog continually makes the point that without a vision and blueprint any improvements will be short-lived if the club doesn't know what it wants and has a plan to deliver it. If the Board think Jolley is the first brick in a long term plan then let them show some intent.

The board have to ignore people like me who wanted him gone after the Morecambe home game and that series of defeats, but they have the advantage of seeing him every day and by now will have formed their impressions of whether he is the right man or not.

It's nothing to do with " an attitude like that ". Ok , so maybe I'm playing " Devil's Advocate " here and I would love to get MJ on a contract of at least 2 years , preferably 3. All I pointed out was  maybe MJ doesn't want a change of arrangement. Once again a poster has not read properly what was posted or chose to interpret it in a different way.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 63
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The Great Leap Forward

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.