Tommy
February 2, 2019, 8:58pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
Absolute legend/cult hero of the Club.

To mention him in the same breath as Barry flipping Conlon should be a criminal offence.

Was never the same player after the fractured skull as he never really challenged for headers properly again after that. Was probably understandably wary of doing some more damage to it, but it hampered a big part of his game unfortunately.

Shame about the testemonial story/quote SkaFace has put up. I'd not seen or heard of that before today.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 98
realist
February 3, 2019, 7:06am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,685
Gold Stars: 41
I thought he was a bit of a donkey - no pace and limited footballing skills.

Before you all leap on me his best goals tally was 11 and averaged 4 per season. Not a startling record for one of the main strikers. You knew whenever he won the ball and was heading one on one to the keeper that A) he would be caught and tackled by a defender, or B)  he would kick it straight at the keeper or over the bar.   We have had far better
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 98
KingstonMariner
February 3, 2019, 10:39am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from realist
I thought he was a bit of a donkey - no pace and limited footballing skills.

Before you all leap on me his best goals tally was 11 and averaged 4 per season. Not a startling record for one of the main strikers. You knew whenever he won the ball and was heading one on one to the keeper that A) he would be caught and tackled by a defender, or B)  he would kick it straight at the keeper or over the bar.   We have had far better

Several football club managers would disagree with you.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 98
realist
February 3, 2019, 10:45am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,685
Gold Stars: 41
Possibly but we often see things differently, but he was definitely not a legend. Super Clive, Matt Tees, Stuart Brace, Donavan, Burnett were head and shoulders above him
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 98
MuddyWaters
February 3, 2019, 12:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,277
Gold Stars: 236
The testimonial story is sad - probably too much water gone under the bridge to do anything about it.
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 98
Marinerz93
February 3, 2019, 12:19pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
The only thing in question here is, he your real brother and is he really a Town fan, Livvo may not have scored a bucket full of goals for us, there was far more to his play and what he contributed help generate that great team spirit we had back then. Livvo was the type of player to run through brick walls, rebuild them then run back through them again and again, someone who got stuck in and had that guile were are currently sadly missing.

In short your kid needs to give his head a wobble.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 98
Shipwrecked In Gainsborough
February 3, 2019, 12:19pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +248
Gold Stars: 2
Livvo was my favourite player back in the "Glory Days", he gave 100% for Town and was a hard old fashioned centre forward. He was also a top bloke off the pitch, so down to earth and would freely interact with fans. I got to know him quite well  as he lived just a few doors down from me. He had two sons at the time(maybe had more kids later), his oldest son Frankie was a bit older than my eldest lad, he was always round our house and was football mad, constantly kicking a ball around with him, for his age he was very talented and I thought he would have made it as a pro footballer, but never heard of him making it in football, he would have been gutted as he lived and breathed the game. His younger son, think he might have been named Jake, was just a baby at the time, but did hear as others have mentioned, that he later had a trial for Town, but nothing seems to have come of it after. One thing that most fans never realised about Livvo, was that he was constantly struggling with a long term back problem. I think that this injury limited his career at a higher level. I know that it caused him a lot of pain at times and would see him hobbling around his garden and think there is no way he will be playing Saturday and yet his determination got him through it and out he would run come 3pm. Why he never got a testimonial is a disgrace, it was a pleasure to watch him play and it was a pleasure to have known him. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 98
Gtfc8279
February 3, 2019, 2:26pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +23
The man is a Grimsby Town Legend and rightly so
His chip at Stoke
Single handed lay turning round the Leicester game
The impact on the he Wembley match
His ability to play up front or centre back
His general hardness, you didn’t intercourse with Livvo
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 98
KingstonMariner
February 3, 2019, 6:00pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from realist
Possibly but we often see things differently, but he was definitely not a legend. Super Clive, Matt Tees, Stuart Brace, Donavan, Burnett were head and shoulders above him

We're all entitled to see things differently.

The fact that so many people see Livvo as a legend means he is a legend.

It's not about how good a player someone is, it's about how they're seen. We all have opinions about how good someone was or was not. We're split down the middle about, say, the Shop, but I doubt many of his fans would see him as a legend ('good servant of the club' maybe). Then there are players like Disley, who most will see as a legend even though he never achieved the heights our players from the 80s and 90s achieved.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 98
MuddyWaters
February 3, 2019, 6:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,277
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from KingstonMariner

We're all entitled to see things differently.

The fact that so many people see Livvo as a legend means he is a legend.

It's not about how good a player someone is, it's about how they're seen. We all have opinions about how good someone was or was not. We're split down the middle about, say, the Shop, but I doubt many of his fans would see him as a legend ('good servant of the club' maybe). Then there are players like Disley, who most will see as a legend even though he never achieved the heights our players from the 80s and 90s achieved.

I don't see Livvo as a legend but I also couldn't remember him being with us 10 years. When you think that Dis got a testimonial, it's pretty unfair that Livvo didn't, especially as he effectively suffered a career-ending injury in the Black & White.
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 98
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Steve Livingstone

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.