Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Takeover
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 219 Guests

Takeover

This thread currently has 61,254 views. Print
38 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Youngy
January 4, 2019, 4:53pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +1,675
Gold Stars: 9
I'm already concerned if Bryan Huxford is involved. He made some truly awful financial decisions when he was chairman (especially his obsession with bringing in no name foreign 'talent' and paying them massive wages and sacking Buckley after 3 games and bringing in Lennie Lawrence).

Much of the debt that Fenty inherited (including the £750k tax bill) was built up on Huxford's watch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 379
Madeleymariner
January 4, 2019, 5:03pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,061
Gold Stars: 50
Was told at Notts game there was serious interest from someone about taking over and that Fenty was happy to let it happen and woulkd be gone by the end of the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 379
Mikey_345
January 4, 2019, 5:04pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +5,536
Gold Stars: 107
Quoted from Bigdog

You don't think the past twenty years have been a disaster then? Our grass hasn't been green for a very long time..

As long as they love the club, better the ineptitude you know eh?

That’s clearly not what I said is it? Point I’m making is if it’s true we shouldn’t presume the new owners are the messiah just because they aren’t John Fenty.

Last years have been terrible, but unlike others we still have a club that is also football league.

It’s just a word of caution.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 379
lew chaterleys lover
January 4, 2019, 5:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Mikey_345
One thing I would say, if this all pans out to be true - which in itself is a big if!

We should all be mindful the grass isn’t always greener. Yes John splits opinion and I wouldn’t disagree with a lot of the criticism aimed at him in terms of decisions made etc. However we see some of the disasters that happen with some owners who come in and in some respects have no affiliation/attachment with the club prior (just look at Blackpool and chesterfield) and one thing that certainly cannot be said about John is that he doesn’t care about this club or have it’s best interests at heart.

If there is a takeover then I’m happy to see how it goes as I think a fresh approach is needed, but we shouldn’t just assume everything is going to be rosey.

Every aspect of life involves risk, including getting the right people to run a football club.

However, in our circumstances there has been no new ideas or investment to speak of for 20 years, and often during those years things have been absolutely diabolical.

We all feel a little more encouraged with our present form and Michael Jolley, but all the underlying problems remain, especially the chronic lack of investment in all areas to keep up to date in a fast-changing football world.

We need a new start, new dynamism and new investment to try to get us moving forward.

The grass is not always greener as you say, but when you haven't a lot of grass to begin with surely it would be best to have a fresh start?
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 379
Bigdog
January 4, 2019, 5:24pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Mikey_345

That’s clearly not what I said is it? Point I’m making is if it’s true we shouldn’t presume the new owners are the messiah just because they aren’t John Fenty.

Last years have been terrible, but unlike others we still have a club that is also football league.

It’s just a word of caution.

I know Mikey.. but my instinctive feelings in hearing rumours (true or not) about a change in ownership are of hope and excitement instead of going straight to fear and caution..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 379
nightrider
January 4, 2019, 5:25pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
Sounds a load of shite

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 379
Mikey_345
January 4, 2019, 5:30pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +5,536
Gold Stars: 107
Quoted from Bigdog

I know Mikey.. but my instinctive feelings in hearing rumours (true or not) about a change in ownership are of hope and excitement instead of going straight to fear and caution..

I get that mate, really I do. Honestly a new approach and ideas plus investment would be much needed and great for us.

Just hopeful it isn’t a crack pot or a fruit loop 😂

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 379
chipsandgravy
January 4, 2019, 5:31pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,632
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from Youngy
I'm already concerned if Bryan Huxford is involved. He made some truly awful financial decisions when he was chairman (especially his obsession with bringing in no name foreign 'talent' and paying them massive wages and sacking Buckley after 3 games and bringing in Lennie Lawrence).

Much of the debt that Fenty inherited (including the £750k tax bill) was built up on Huxford's watch.

Totally agree. As I have stated on another thread he is far from my favourite person. Having met through previous buinesses dealings In my opinion his ego was far bigger than his capabilities of chairman. When you put him along side the likes of Carr/Furneaux who went before him he was out of his depth both as a chairman and as a person.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 379
Tinymariner
January 4, 2019, 5:35pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
This info confirms what I was told a couple of weeks ago by someone extremely in the know. I never repeat what he has told me previously, on his request, and he has never been wrong. As the story is out I’m sure he won’t mind me disclosing on this occasion. Although this info is missing a lot of details, overall it’s on the right track.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 379
pizzzza
January 4, 2019, 5:45pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
Always amazes me how many people on here are in the know or "been told...". They also always seem to post after the news has broke funnily enough  
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 379
38 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Takeover

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.