5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
chelseacity
December 11, 2018, 12:28pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +364
Gold Stars: 9
I have it delivered everyday, i look online as well, the paper version is very good for all the local info, i find out whom i know has passed away, i love the bygones section & photo's, i will always buy it as it's our area's local paper, you never know what you miss until it's gone. I also miss the Football on a Saturday night. I just want to support it, bit like GTFC really.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 40
denni266
December 11, 2018, 1:25pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +702
Gold Stars: 132
I have the same problem finding the angling section on line, even in the print it seems to be just a few match results or carp fishing.. And remember well waiting outside the paper shop for the sports paper to be delivered, every one stood chatting about town
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 40
moosey_club
December 11, 2018, 1:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,295
Gold Stars: 226
I think i cancelled my order with the Newsagent after they printed one of these;

an article on the historic fishing smack awaiting Heritage Centre funding/renovation in Alexandra Dock sinking.......alongside the article was a photograph of the wrong wreck on the opposite side of the dock poking out the water...

or  ..

Humber Tsunami !  as a headline with an article below saying there wont be one

When i see a copy now at friends or families it doesn't take long to establish its cr@p.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 40
Kris2
December 11, 2018, 2:05pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
Newspapers will eventually be a thing of the past. The new generations are being bought up in the digital age and they consume everything through HD screens. You simply get news faster online and on demand so it makes the idea of buying a paper to read news obsolete. We've seen formerly huge papers die out and local rags are slowly fading away. I feel like once my parent's generation is gone that'll be the last of the people who were heavily bought up on newspapers and magazines and still read them out of habit. Mine adapted to the internet  in the late 90's and never looked back because new tech just kept coming. Once smartphones and tablets happened I think that was the final nail in the coffin for printed media. It's just a matter of time but several papers and magazines die each year due to dwindling sales.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 40
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 11, 2018, 2:40pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Kris2
Newspapers will eventually be a thing of the past. The new generations are being bought up in the digital age and they consume everything through HD screens. You simply get news faster online and on demand so it makes the idea of buying a paper to read news obsolete. We've seen formerly huge papers die out and local rags are slowly fading away. I feel like once my parent's generation is gone that'll be the last of the people who were heavily bought up on newspapers and magazines and still read them out of habit. Mine adapted to the internet  in the late 90's and never looked back because new tech just kept coming. Once smartphones and tablets happened I think that was the final nail in the coffin for printed media. It's just a matter of time but several papers and magazines die each year due to dwindling sales.

I think you are right Kris. The biggest benefit is speed and accessibility. The biggest drawback is inaccuracy. We know that from the Fishy with all these rumours that come from Twitter or some arcane website. The big plus of the printed paper was that 99% of the time, for football at least, the journalism was true and if Charles Eckberg or Roy Line said something critical then it was not just gossip or PR from a player or the club.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 40
Kris2
December 11, 2018, 4:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136

I think you are right Kris. The biggest benefit is speed and accessibility. The biggest drawback is inaccuracy. We know that from the Fishy with all these rumours that come from Twitter or some arcane website. The big plus of the printed paper was that 99% of the time, for football at least, the journalism was true and if Charles Eckberg or Roy Line said something critical then it was not just gossip or PR from a player or the club.

We call that sort of thing click bait for a reason  . Most people under 50 are well aware of what internet rumours can do and how fast they can spread around, so I think we are becoming smarter to rumours. Since a good majority of The Fishy are over 50 it'll probably take a bit longer until this forum gets smart to fake news and click bait lol. There are also many newspapers that have been known for bait articles and fake news. Most sports newspapers would publish rumour and hearsay as fact even before the internet news really took off. I think saying 99% of what was printed was true is a bit laughable.

And besides, most people on The Fishy get their news from drinking with the granddad of young players down the local and getting stuff repeated that he's heard from the grandson. Anyone on here talking about a "reliable source" is probably talking about this. Only a couple of idiots make up stuff and a few more idiots believe it. I've make nonsense rumours up for fun that are so ridiculous they'd never happen and got DMs from some people asking me for more details and if it's true lol.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 40
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 11, 2018, 5:23pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Kris2

We call that sort of thing click bait for a reason  . Most people under 50 are well aware of what internet rumours can do and how fast they can spread around, so I think we are becoming smarter to rumours. Since a good majority of The Fishy are over 50 it'll probably take a bit longer until this forum gets smart to fake news and click bait lol. There are also many newspapers that have been known for bait articles and fake news. Most sports newspapers would publish rumour and hearsay as fact even before the internet news really took off. I think saying 99% of what was printed was true is a bit laughable.

And besides, most people on The Fishy get their news from drinking with the granddad of young players down the local and getting stuff repeated that he's heard from the grandson. Anyone on here talking about a "reliable source" is probably talking about this. Only a couple of idiots make up stuff and a few more idiots believe it. I've make nonsense rumours up for fun that are so ridiculous they'd never happen and got DMs from some people asking me for more details and if it's true lol.

I am talking about the Sports Telegraph Kris, not the Mirror, Sun, Star, Mail ....... back pages. That was trustworthy, many of us knew those reporters personally and they lived and drank locally. We talked to them at BP on a Saturday. Tabloids are always suspect. I used to get a good laugh out of the tabloid celeb columns ghost written like the programme notes from most managers. What you say is right but the wrong way round. Older people already have a pretty good idea what is a con in the press and know that digital media click bait is just a faster way of creating a rumour, the same thing that went on for ever in the tabloids. But you are far from the only one who makes things up for fun. The real fun is working out fact from fiction.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 40
TownSNAFU5
December 11, 2018, 5:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,894
Gold Stars: 42
I used to love waiting for the Sports Telegraph to arrive in Mablethorpe on a Saturday night.  The only way to find out any details of a good away win or performance.  (I went to the home games),

Simple pleasures.  I remember reading about a special 5-2 away win at York when Stuart Brace scored a hat-trick.  

I got my mum to send on the Sports Telegraph and other footy clippings for 26 years when I joined the RAF and then moved from the area.  This was the best way in those days to keep up to date. Priceless info on GTFC.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 40
Cod Cheeks
December 11, 2018, 5:45pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +374
IMO. the paper version is much better than the online one.
I read most of it but mainly for town and local sports news.
I buy it everyday and think most days it's good value for 70p and I would be disappointed if stopped.
Unfortunately I only skim the angling as I know very little about it.
Is it somebody Sturman or similar?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 40
lukeo
December 11, 2018, 6:32pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,396
Gold Stars: 149
The last and only paper I've bought in the past 10 years was the non league one. It was quite a good read most weeks
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 40
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Local News

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.