8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
GrimRob
September 16, 2018, 4:46pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,432
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Abdul19

I'm guessing the people who've used last season's team as a yardstick aren't specifically referring to the first 8 games of it. They're probably thinking about that spell of 5 points from 57 at the start of the year.

Agreed, but the corollary of that is that MJ should be given more time. A couple of wins and everyone would be talking of the play-offs again.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 40 - 72
Gaffer58
September 16, 2018, 4:53pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,097
Gold Stars: 33
I would be interested if anybody on here has any idea what the various badges are about, I assume there will be some type of coaching, e.g.: leaving nobody up when defending a corner, but is most of the badges about dealing with the players on a personal level, contracts moral etc. I once talked to a lad who looked after Lincoln's youths and he commented how one tactic taught was when 1 goal up with only minutes to play you get the ball in the opposing corner to help run the clock down, very innovative!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 72
NorthseaMariner
September 16, 2018, 4:59pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,523
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from rancido

I'm sorry but this is a typical attitude from " old hands " completely disregarding new ideas and modern innovations in the work place. I say this as a 70 year old so it's not as if I'm a youngster trying to belittle the older generation. All my working life I've experienced older, more experienced people totally rejecting new techniques because " that's not the we  used to do it ". Every industry , and football is an industry, evolves , develops and embraces new approaches.
The analogy you quote is totally irrelevant as in that instance you have one tradesman telling somebody in a different trade how to do a job. It's rather interesting you mentioned a gasman as I have a close friend who did his apprenticeship with East Midlands Gas in the mid 60's and he often recalls how the " old hands " would frequently dismiss the new  techniques as "not how we were taught ".

So true. I had an old Electrical forman who told me,”these electronics are okay, but they’ll never replace relays”. How wrong he was.

Anyway, all this talk of how long due you give MJ. What’s the alternative then? Get another journeyman manager in, on the cheap and he’s going to turn it all around, with a team put together by MJ?

Doesn’t sound a good plan to me. All we can do, is support the team and hope he knows what he’s doing.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 72
topuphere666
September 16, 2018, 5:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +1,843
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from denni266
What beats me is how a financial banker or what ever..with a few , what seem to be useless badges can tell seasoned  so called pro footballers how to play, Its like a gas man telling me how to re wire a house , His  experiance is virtually nil  and will be seen as just that by the players.. some have said that he has lost the dressing room and players are not doing as he says,, am beginning to wonder if he ever had it this season. Its showed through in todays interview that he didnt realy know what to say , and i dont think for one minute he knows what to do

And the Cowley brothers are the leading scorers from La Liga. Jesus Christ.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 72
Ipswin
September 16, 2018, 5:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from NorthseaMariner

What’s the alternative then? Get another journeyman manager in, on the cheap and he’s going to turn it all around, with a team put together by MJ?

We got MJ in on the cheap and he turned it around with a team put together by a journeyman, shame he can't do it with a team he's put together himself

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 72
Ipswin
September 16, 2018, 5:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from denni266
What beats me is how a financial banker or what ever..with a few , what seem to be useless badges can tell seasoned  so called pro footballers how to play, Its like a gas man telling me how to re wire a house , His  experiance is virtually nil  and will be seen as just that by the players.. some have said that he has lost the dressing room and players are not doing as he says,, am beginning to wonder if he ever had it this season. Its showed through in todays interview that he didnt realy know what to say , and i dont think for one minute he knows what to do

Sadly I think this is very likely correct

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 72
Northbank Mariner
September 16, 2018, 6:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,525
Gold Stars: 172
Ian Holloway is looking for a new challenge!!....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 72
H19P1
September 16, 2018, 6:27pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +710
It was never going to be easy but we must give him more time and abit of slack.

The majority knew the risks whilst MJ being favourite for the role and wanted to go against the grain as our next appointment.

Let's try and be patient, i can understand the frustration but let's ride the transition together and hope for an upturn in point scoring soon
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 72
geir
September 16, 2018, 6:36pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +1,385
Gold Stars: 9
We have met a lot of teams who are at the upper end of the table. We have had suspensions and injuries.
If I remember correctly, the first season with Paul Hurst as a manager, in the conference, we ended up as number 16 in the table. We are two wins away from being 16. Please remain calm, we are not going down yet.
I think we owe it to Jolley, considering that he saved us from certain relegation last season, to avoid the panic button and remain calm a little longer.

My non-football related blog: http://geirmykl.wordpress.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 72
MuddyWaters
September 16, 2018, 6:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from geir
We have met a lot of teams who are at the upper end of the table. We have had suspensions and injuries.
If I remember correctly, the first season with Paul Hurst as a manager, in the conference, we ended up as number 16 in the table. We are two wins away from being 16. Please remain calm, we are not going down yet.
I think we owe it to Jolley, considering that he saved us from certain relegation last season, to avoid the panic button and remain calm a little longer.

I apologise if you go to home games but, watching the warm-up yesterday, I saw seasoned professionals going through the motions with a young assistant fitness coach (Greg Howard). In the background, Adam Forrest was walking around whilst Anthony Limbrick was kicking the ball around with the mascots.

I've not played sport to a very high level but I have had coaching in other sports by one or two national level coaches - I respected the need to get fit to be the best I could be and, therefore, respected the people coaching me. I may be very wrong but I certainly didn't see any intensity yesterday.
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 72
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Jolley interview

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.