8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
July 22, 2018, 4:58pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
PS even if people are hypocritical about this it doesn’t mean that the principal they’re arguing for is wrong.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 74
mariner91
July 22, 2018, 5:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,721
Gold Stars: 262
I don’t think the issue is them putting money in, it’s the amount they are artificially inflating their budget and giving them such a huge financial advantage.

Last season they averaged less than 1400 fans at home despite winning promotion and they were charging £10 per ticket so their income per home match is less than £10K when you take concessions and season tickets into account.

If they’re paying one single player pretty much their entire gate receipts (some weeks they won’t have gate receipts cause they’ll be away) then that’s ridiculous and makes a mockery of the division. That doesn’t even take into account the transfer fee paid for that player. What will they do when financial fair play comes into the equation because they must be comfortably spending at least 10x their income?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 74
July 22, 2018, 5:10pm
Guest User
Quoted from mariner91
I don’t think the issue is them putting money in, it’s the amount they are artificially inflating their budget and giving them such a huge financial advantage.

Last season they averaged less than 1400 fans at home despite winning promotion and they were charging £10 per ticket so their income per home match is less than £10K when you take concessions and season tickets into account.

If they’re paying one single player pretty much their entire gate receipts (some weeks they won’t have gate receipts cause they’ll be away) then that’s ridiculous and makes a mockery of the division. That doesn’t even take into account the transfer fee paid for that player. What will they do when financial fair play comes into the equation because they must be comfortably spending at least 10x their income?

This.
Reply: 62 - 74
July 22, 2018, 5:27pm
Guest User
Quoted from TheCodfather1966
This is pure jealousy, nothing more nothing less.  If all the so-called anti Salford brigade are so against this, would they be so against any former town players sinking money into GTFC .................  I think not.

Jealous of the way Accrington Stanley and Lincoln have been run over the last few years? Yes.

Jealous of Salford City? You’re having a laugh.
Reply: 63 - 74
Bigdog
July 22, 2018, 5:49pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from KingstonMariner
I think we're sleepwalking (or in severe danger of it) Bigdog. But if the only alternative is to sell our soul I'd rather not play that banjo. In actuality I think there is another way, where we harness the potential of the whole fanbase and community. But there doesn't seem to be the will.

In reality KM, we've already sold our soul to someone who hasn't got the cash or the wherewithal to takes us forward. Selling our soul to someone who has more cash to invest and more acumen looks like a better bet than the hand we've got already. I don't care how much of a fan the owner is, how's that worked out for us over the past twenty years and who else is there locally to save us anyway? I want that person to be the best man for the job with the most cash to unlock the club's full potential by investing into infrastructure where it's badly needed. Pipe dream I know, but we can always hope as other League clubs have seemed to manage it recently.

Totally agree with you regarding your second point about the lack of will inside the fanbase and community though. It's just not there to make a significant difference, and that's a worry as much as it's a shame..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 74
BrMarin
July 22, 2018, 6:15pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +17 / -2
Approval: +96
Gold Stars: 8
I wonder if any posters on this thread have man u as a "second team"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 74
July 22, 2018, 6:20pm
Guest User
Quoted from BrMarin
I wonder if any posters on this thread have man u as a "second team"

Oh Christ, don’t even get me started on second teams..  
Reply: 66 - 74
KingstonMariner
July 22, 2018, 10:19pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Bigdog

In reality KM, we've already sold our soul to someone who hasn't got the cash or the wherewithal to takes us forward. Selling our soul to someone who has more cash to invest and more acumen looks like a better bet than the hand we've got already. I don't care how much of a fan the owner is, how's that worked out for us over the past twenty years and who else is there locally to save us anyway? I want that person to be the best man for the job with the most cash to unlock the club's full potential by investing into infrastructure where it's badly needed. Pipe dream I know, but we can always hope as other League clubs have seemed to manage it recently.

Totally agree with you regarding your second point about the lack of will inside the fanbase and community though. It's just not there to make a significant difference, and that's a worry as much as it's a shame..

I don’t see Fenty as Mephistopheles. Just a misguided person with an overinflated sense of his own abilities. Regrettable as his regime has been, there’s still a flickering flame. If some mega rich person pours lots of money into the club, what does that mean? In what way will GTFC still represent us?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 74
Posh Harry
July 23, 2018, 5:14am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,368
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from TheCodfather1966
This is pure jealousy, nothing more nothing less.  If all the so-called anti Salford brigade are so against this, would they be so against any former town players sinking money into GTFC .................  I think not.

Maybe you could point out just exactly when they actually played for Salford to make your analogy accurately?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 74
MarinerMal
July 23, 2018, 12:07pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +783
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from Ipswin

That's the ridiculous thing about all the anti-Fenty whingers

They want him out and for him not to have any loans (benign or otherwise) but they female dog about Jolley having a good transfer budget

Sadly we can't have it both ways, we need his money or there just isn't enough. Working within your means is one thing but if 'your means' means signing absolute duffers because they're free then we can't moan if we finish 18th (or worse)

Why can't we have Fenty out AND Jolley have a good transfer budget? What makes you think they are in anyway mutually exclusive?

How about this. Fenty leaves and someone comes who is more capable of running a football club,  without sending the club spiraling down the divisions, out of the football league and bringing the club almost to it's knee's.Then maybe with the club now being run so much better it generates more income and therefore Jolley gets a larger transfer budget. Result: Fenty is out and Jolley has a good transfer budget.

We don't need his money, he hardly puts any in nowadays.

For the record, I've never complained about the transfer budget and can't remember hearing anyone claiming the need for a larger transfer budget either. Not this close season at least.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 74
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Salford City

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.