Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › I've never quite understood..............
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 428 Guests

I've never quite understood..............

This thread currently has 7,064 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
RoboCod
October 29, 2017, 10:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from HertsGTFC

No you didn't dream them up you just pulled them from history....

Yes I did, a bit like the post I was responding to. Just examples, because I'm not buying it that we need to play the type of football we are playing currently to push this club forward, I'm not happy that we need to play like this to be 'safe' first then see if we fancy a belated crack at the playoffs, I'm stunned that Accrington seem to be managed in a carefree manner that foregoes all of these worries and negative factors and get to 2nd in the table.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 47
ginnywings
October 29, 2017, 10:59pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,122
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from HertsGTFC
[quote=799]What about a third option- playing decent football and winning?

Even Accrington Stanley can manage that on gates of less than 2000, with a player that couldn't hit a cows bottom with a banjo for us, but can't stop scoring for them. One has to ask why that is so?[/quote]

Better supply from the rest of the team and a run in the side since the start of the season?

I'd say it was intent. Hurst, like Slade played the game with the brakes on and Jackson was shunted out to the wing, with his defensive duties to be performed. Jackson has 7 goals already for Accrington, not to mention the 10 by Billy Kee.  

Can you imagine that? Having 17 goals from your 2 strikers at this stage of the season. They must be able to afford better players than us.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 47
HertsGTFC
October 30, 2017, 7:36am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from ginnywings

I'd say it was intent. Hurst, like Slade played the game with the brakes on and Jackson was shunted out to the wing, with his defensive duties to be performed. Jackson has 7 goals already for Accrington, not to mention the 10 by Billy Kee.  

Can you imagine that? Having 17 goals from your 2 strikers at this stage of the season. They must be able to afford better players than us.  

Yeah I'd level with that to be honest, both Hurst and Slade appear to be "safety first" when in charge of Town.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 47
HertsGTFC
October 30, 2017, 7:44am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from RoboCod

Yes I did, a bit like the post I was responding to. Just examples, because I'm not buying it that we need to play the type of football we are playing currently to push this club forward, I'm not happy that we need to play like this to be 'safe' first then see if we fancy a belated crack at the playoffs, I'm stunned that Accrington seem to be managed in a carefree manner that foregoes all of these worries and negative factors and get to 2nd in the table.

How many times have you watched Accrington apart from when they have played Town this season? That was a fixture Town won regardless of the hosts supposed free flowing football.

I do agree we are playing within ourselves but I am not convinced we have the quality in the right part of the field to do anything other, just simple economics I'm afraid in that we signed what we could afford.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 47
RoboCod
October 30, 2017, 8:06am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
just simple economics...we signed what we could afford

Accrington Stanley

2nd in the table

I've no idea how they play, I don't care, the above points are my concern. If they play lovely football AND get 2nd spot, bravo.
If they play unattractive lumping AND get 2nd spot then they are doing it the correct way at least.

We don't do either of those things in a constant, effective way. An early exit from the FA Cup and this season's a dead duck.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 47
cannylad68
October 30, 2017, 8:07am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
In reply to the first post, longstanding Town supporters have been 'spoilt' in the past.
The amount of class players we have seen in the black and white shirts over the years compared to the recent signings over the last 10 years or so, is more than sufficient to kill the enthusiasm of us 'oldies'.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 47
Swansea_Mariner
October 30, 2017, 8:53am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,443
Gold Stars: 63
Why do some insist that entertainment and points on board are mutually exclusive?

A manger whose team plays one dimensional boring football and loses regularly and a manager who plays some expansive entertaining football but also loses regularly will BOTH get sacked sooner rather than later. That's an Apple for Apple comparison.

A manger whose team plays one dimensional boring football and wins regularly and a manager who plays some expansive entertaining football but also loses regularly is an Apple for an Orange comparison. Argument makes no sense.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 47
barralad
October 31, 2017, 6:12pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
Why do some insist that entertainment and points on board are mutually exclusive?

A manger whose team plays one dimensional boring football and loses regularly and a manager who plays some expansive entertaining football but also loses regularly will BOTH get sacked sooner rather than later. That's an Apple for Apple comparison.

A manger whose team plays one dimensional boring football and wins regularly and a manager who plays some expansive entertaining football but also loses regularly is an Apple for an Orange comparison. Argument makes no sense.

What about pears? #justiceforconferences

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 47
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › I've never quite understood..............

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.