This thread currently has 11,679 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
wiggers
July 17, 2017, 9:03am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: +460
Gold Stars: 11
I agree with Denni. We are ok up top. Jones and Yuseff to start up front with Asante to come back from injury plus Veron. I would rather see us spend money on a decent LB plus a younger CB who could learn from Collins and Clarke ready for the following season. If we are to get another striker it should be a loan signing from a Prem or Championship club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 28
fishyfanny
July 17, 2017, 9:08am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.94
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,516
Gold Stars: 15
Could Veron still do it though? Think he's 42 now...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 28
ginnywings
July 17, 2017, 9:29am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
I wouldn't expect Wooton to be a first choice. Clubs at our level need to take a punt on youngsters, with the hope that the will come good, score a few goals and be sold on. One eye on the future is the way forward, otherwise you end up stagnating with has beens and getting relegated to non league.

Can't see how he is worth 6 figures mind but i doubt a tribunal would agree with that anyway.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 28
bax
July 17, 2017, 9:38am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +25 / -3
Approval: +2,645
Gold Stars: 30
I was impressed with Robinson when he came on against Barnsley. Looked as if he had all the above attributes and has scored 2 in 2...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 28
Stew0_0
July 17, 2017, 9:43am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,199
Gold Stars: 35
Agree with above. Think if we sign Cardwell and Robinson we have everything we need up top.

Also sign up Dixon and that should be us set.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 28
Mariner_09
July 17, 2017, 9:48am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,189
Gold Stars: 54
I'm not sure the striker issue is quite has huge as people are suggesting. Jones scored 7 in 16 at the end of last season in an utterly incoherent side with various partners and was unfit when he first arrived. There's every reason to suggest that after a full league pre-season and half a season of getting used to the opposition and his teammates that he can score 25 goals in this league. The issue last year was the complete lack of service to the strikers. Osborne and Comley out wide, so no width, Slade appears to have addressed this issue. I think a more varied approach play will cause chaos for defenders in this league. I think that Vernon would be an ideal partner. He's clever and can hold it up well.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 28
acko338
July 17, 2017, 9:59am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Gold Stars: 33
£100,000 on a striker with a very average goals return added to a high wage request - I'm out !!!

Sure we would find a better deal from one of the numerous U23 team lists, or look at the Nike Academy again for another gem ??

In regards to Robinson and Cardwell, if they score any amount of tap ins, then the team have got the football in the right area for a clean, simple finish.

Too many strikers can be marked out of the game by a solid defender - can't they, Mr Shearer - how's the scar, these days? - Amond scored against poorer teams but hardly any with better defenders in the top teams.

Variety in attacking play, hopefully at a faster pace than last year, should give several players in the squad the chance to get to double figure goal tallies. Love to see 3 in the top scoring list rather than just 1 at the top.

What I definitely want to see this season is a more solid defense not letting in stupid goals from lack of communication or poor marking at set pieces.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 28
mariner91
July 17, 2017, 12:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,249
Gold Stars: 253
Not sure Shearer is a good example of a striker who was easily marked. He's the all time Premier League top scorer and did actually score against us the night Whittle whacked him.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 28
acko338
July 17, 2017, 6:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Gold Stars: 33
Yes, Shearer is a national legend, and yes, he did score that night, but he moaned for ages afterwards in the press and in tv interviews in regards to the treatment he received and the physicality he took from Whittle.

No disrespect to Whittle either as he had to use whatever tactics he could to try to stop Shearer from scoring.

With Shearer's proven ability against international and Premiership class defenders, then only one goal could be regarded as a semi triumph !

I was trying to use an analogy of Amond having easy games against lower teams in that season but not scoring against many of the higher teams where centre halves were better quality.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 28
jock dock tower
July 17, 2017, 7:06pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Cardwell has signed for the Town according to Facebook just now.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 28
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Kyle wootton

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.