This thread currently has 6,225 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
oldun
June 5, 2017, 4:19pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
I am normally a glass half full person, but at the moment I just cannot get myself into a positive frame of mind about the coming season. I am not seeing "guaranteed" top end of the league players on the books. A lot with potential and 2 or 3 seasoned pros.Some contracted players who did not do it for us last season. I am struggling to see a style of play or formation forming despite having plenty of "bodies in the building". I see a lot of experimenting again, no stability which is likely to lead to inconsistency.I am as keen as anyone for Slade to succeed but I don't see it at present and am a bit underwhelmed with the players we now have, Don't worry I am not suicidal but could do with a dose of optimism. All help will be appreciated.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Mariner93er
June 5, 2017, 4:21pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,728
Gold Stars: 28
I think it's been a bit of a boring transfer window, with few rumours.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 33
mariner83
June 5, 2017, 4:24pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +25 / -4
Approval: +2,001
Gold Stars: 5
At least you don't support 'ull?
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 2 - 33
Mariner_09
June 5, 2017, 4:27pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
I think that Slade will prioritise getting the team solid and hard to beat. We may have kept quite a lot of clean sheets last season but when we conceded that was it, we fell 2 or 3 behind. If we could get in at 1-0 in these games then there'd be half a chance we could sneak a result. Barnet, Cheltenham, Hartlepool, Crewe, Colchester, Exeter are all examples of this. This is purely a mentality thing, we could clearly defend but we didn't have the confidence to come from behind or keep a score down.

The defence won't be weaker, I never thought Andrew was a great defender, he was a fantastic attacker and great athlete but did get caught out of position and play the odd terrible ball too often. He did improve throughout the season though, probably because he was playing for the first time in years. Slade needs a defensive minded left back and a good, athletic partner for Collins then we can allow Osborne, Jones, Dembele etc to express themselves going forward and not worry too much about defending.

I am optimistic, there is clearly an awful lot of talent in the squad but the majority needed to get to grips with League 2 football and everyone needed to have a manager who could clearly present a cohesive and understandable plan. With all that added together we'll have a really good side IMO.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 33
June 5, 2017, 4:38pm
Guest User
I'm still staggered we allowed Shaun Pearson to leave while we have re-signed two 36 year olds.

Dembele hasn't ever played a league game so us unknown really. Rose? I work in Mansfield and have heard very average reports about him, but we'll give him a go. The winger from relegated Port Vale? Again, we'll give him a go.

I'm ready for a break from football, Town in particular. Last season was largely a yawnfest, no real chance of promotion under that clown Bignot, never in danger either. We do have some good players, Osborne, Jones in particular (fair one, credit to Bignot there) so there is some sort of base.

I think Slade will get us sorted, but I wonder how much ambition there really is to win promotion, it's only div 4, are we waiting on the new ground?
Reply: 4 - 33
moosey_club
June 5, 2017, 4:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Oldun...you should know by now ,if your alter ego is a reflection of your status that is, we could have the most exciting of transfer windows on paper and look like absolute dog shite once the friendlies start....or the polar opposite....i am confident that RS will however try and have a side that is hard working & organised ala Hurst but also one that will give us some off your seats counter attacking style play.
A good sign to me is , despite us already having a myriad of other central midfielders on the books, RS has bought in the one type that Hurst/Bignot failed to include in the form of Rose, who hopefully will live upto his box to box tag. He has also brought in some actual wide players which again were largely lacking under Hurst and almost extinct after Bignot's axe wielding.

Some early shoots of hope for me, i also think that RS may also have a bit of wheeler dealing to do late pre season/ mid August as that is when those that he has inherited will really discover that they do not fall under his favour and will maybe want to ship themselves out to try elsewhere rather than languish. I would expect RS to have targets in mind that he will maybe have to wait until the first deadline day to officially approach.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 33
ginnywings
June 5, 2017, 4:49pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,126
Gold Stars: 548
It's early June...
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 33
Mrs Doyle
June 5, 2017, 4:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Feeling a bit underwhelmed myself but it is early yet,players are on holidays so maybe things will start to move in a week or two. We do seem lumbered with one or two sub standard players though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 33
MeanwoodMariner
June 5, 2017, 5:02pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
The bookies have us 18th favourites to win the league so they aren't particularly optimistic either.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 33
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 5, 2017, 5:05pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
We all feel a bit underwhelmed at the minute I think.

Perhaps this is because 2017 follows on from the euphoria of being back in the league last year and being in the middle of OP the previous pre-season.

One thing I am sure about is that RS & PW will not be letting the grass grow under their size 11s while we are sitting around twiddling our collective keyboards waiting for news.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 33
Maringer
June 5, 2017, 5:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,506
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner
The bookies have us 18th favourites to win the league so they aren't particularly optimistic either.

The bookies don't care one way or the other - we're 18th favourites because we haven't made many signings and so nobody has put many bets on us. Might bung 20 quid on now. Who is giving the best odds for promotion, though, as I don't expect us to be title contenders regardless?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 33
Abdul19
June 5, 2017, 5:17pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,560
Gold Stars: 216
10/1 at Bet365 according to oddschecker.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 33
jonnyboy82
June 5, 2017, 5:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Or you could have just been told today you have been made redundant just like me.

Be positive and for what it's worth the signings so far are fine with me as I'm sure more pace and power is on its way.

GTFC is keeping me positive .

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 33
jimgtfc
June 5, 2017, 5:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,086
Gold Stars: 45
How ridiculous... it's the first week of June, get a grip.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 33
lew chaterleys lover
June 5, 2017, 5:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,712
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from oldun
I am normally a glass half full person, but at the moment I just cannot get myself into a positive frame of mind about the coming season. I am not seeing "guaranteed" top end of the league players on the books. A lot with potential and 2 or 3 seasoned pros.Some contracted players who did not do it for us last season. I am struggling to see a style of play or formation forming despite having plenty of "bodies in the building". I see a lot of experimenting again, no stability which is likely to lead to inconsistency.I am as keen as anyone for Slade to succeed but I don't see it at present and am a bit underwhelmed with the players we now have, Don't worry I am not suicidal but could do with a dose of optimism. All help will be appreciated.

It could be a lot, lot worse. Had Bignot still been in charge we would have had 43 incomings and 1 outgoing with the majority being from Solihull. It is just a lull before it kicks off proper, and it is nice to think we have two experienced men at the helm who will know as far as it is possible to know, what we need and where to get them. We will be going all out for promotion from August so I for one am looking forward to it.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 33
rancido
June 5, 2017, 5:45pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from 75
I'm still staggered we allowed Shaun Pearson to leave while we have re-signed two 36 year olds.

Dembele hasn't ever played a league game so us unknown really. Rose? I work in Mansfield and have heard very average reports about him, but we'll give him a go. The winger from relegated Port Vale? Again, we'll give him a go.

I'm ready for a break from football, Town in particular. Last season was largely a yawnfest, no real chance of promotion under that clown Bignot, never in danger either. We do have some good players, Osborne, Jones in particular (fair one, credit to Bignot there) so there is some sort of base.

I think Slade will get us sorted, but I wonder how much ambition there really is to win promotion, it's only div 4, are we waiting on the new ground?

To be fair to MB his brief , when he was appointed, was to ensure league status and build for the future. I believe he was genuinely trying to achieve this and brought in players , like you mentioned, for next season. The two things that fans gripe about his approach was his experimenting in formations ( fair point ) and his signing of  Gunning. But seeing as he only signed Gunning to the end of the season we don't know if he would have become a permanent signing.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 33
cmackenzie4
June 5, 2017, 5:55pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.26
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Or you could have just been told today you have been made redundant just like me.

Be positive and for what it's worth the signings so far are fine with me as I'm sure more pace and power is on its way.

Hope you get a job lined up mate, did you know this redundancy was coming? Must be a difficult time, hope you get sorted out soon.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 33
Marinerz93
June 5, 2017, 6:30pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
This time of year is football Limbo. I'm sure there will be talks or deals being sorted but unable to release the news due to current contracts or certain players waiting see what's on offer.

Itching to get a bit of news but it's just a case of bide your time.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 33
oldun
June 5, 2017, 6:47pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Thanks fishys keep it coming with reasons to be cheerful.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 33
Garth
June 5, 2017, 6:58pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from rancido

To be fair to MB his brief , when he was appointed, was to ensure league status and build for the future. I believe he was genuinely trying to achieve this and brought in players , like you mentioned, for next season. The two things that fans gripe about his approach was his experimenting in formations ( fair point ) and his signing of  Gunning. But seeing as he only signed Gunning to the end of the season we don't know if he would have become a permanent signing.

Marcus was Gunning`s female dog!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 33
rancido
June 5, 2017, 7:12pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Garth
[/b]

Marcus was Gunning`s female dog!

Didn't RS play Gunning in his first two games in charge?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 33
lukeo
June 5, 2017, 7:19pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
For me it is a little frustrating seeing lots of clubs bringing in good talent already, but there is still a long way to go yet. I'm confident Slade is a better man for the job than the previous two in charge. Whether that's promotion or just a top half finish we'll have to wait and see.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 33
KingstonMariner
June 5, 2017, 11:47pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from ginnywings
It's early June...

Said Terry Scott  

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 33
KingstonMariner
June 5, 2017, 11:51pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Sorry to hear that mate. Hope you get sorted soon.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 33
promotion plaice
June 6, 2017, 12:01am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197

Lincoln seem to be really playing the waiting game, could backfire on them.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 33
Tommy
June 6, 2017, 12:52am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from oldun

Think you're fretting over nothing Oldun.

1) I don't think there are any players that are "guaranteed top end of the league".

2) of course we're not seeing a formation or style of play forming yet, we haven't played any games yet and are still building the squad.

Think we just need a bit of patience and belief that just because we aren't signing players from the Premier League, we could still be in with a chance for promotion.

Time will tell. But let's not get too wound up about what we've got when pre season doesn't even start for another few weeks yet.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 33
jamesgtfc
June 6, 2017, 7:13am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,957
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from promotion plaice

Lincoln seem to be really playing the waiting game, could backfire on them.

My old man knows Bob Dorrian and got chatting to him the other week and they are only looking to add a couple of players to the squad.

Dangerous strategy, for every Bristol Rovers that add a couple of players and achieve back to back promotions there is a Cheltenham.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 33
Mariner_09
June 6, 2017, 7:51am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
I must say, they had a couple of good players but players such as Rhead, Waterfall and Nath have been in the league before and not been up to it. I thought they'd need some serious rebuilding. Woodyard, Raggett, Habergham might be able to do it though as they are untested at that level.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 33
acko338
June 6, 2017, 8:53am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,224
Gold Stars: 33
Fans have to realise that the joy of being back in the league brings delays with changes in contracts as league player contracts last for an extra month. This delays the activity process as you don't pay players until old contracts run out. There will be negotiations going on behind the scenes that won't be public until July 1st !!
Slade may not be Mr Popular with older fans but he is no idiot from previous jobs at higher levels and he has a promotion owed to many loyal fans which could be the only way to win back his doubters !

Good luck to him - need to see some better times after a stutter season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 33
ginnywings
June 6, 2017, 9:07am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,126
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from acko338
Fans have to realise that the joy of being back in the league brings delays with changes in contracts as league player contracts last for an extra month. This delays the activity process as you don't pay players until old contracts run out. There will be negotiations going on behind the scenes that won't be public until July 1st !!
Slade may not be Mr Popular with older fans but he is no idiot from previous jobs at higher levels and he has a promotion owed to many loyal fans which could be the only way to win back his doubters !

Good luck to him - need to see some better times after a stutter season.

Extra 2 months i think.

As for Lincoln, i think their players showed they could hold their own against better opposition in that FA Cup run. Whether they can do it over 46 games is another matter.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 33
golfer
June 6, 2017, 9:59am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,428
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Mariner93er
I think it's been a bit of a boring transfer window, with few rumours.

O.K. then let's start a few rumours. Town have suggested having a ground sharing scheme with Lincoln City or as Slade has suggested merging the 2 clubs into one. We could call ourselves "The Fishy Imps"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 33
Tommy
June 6, 2017, 10:15am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Mariner_09
The defence won't be weaker, I never thought Andrew was a great defender, he was a fantastic attacker and great athlete but did get caught out of position and play the odd terrible ball too often. He did improve throughout the season though, probably because he was playing for the first time in years. Slade needs a defensive minded left back and a good, athletic partner for Collins then we can allow Osborne, Jones, Dembele etc to express themselves going forward and not worry too much about defending.

Still banging that drum are we 09?

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 33
MuddyWaters
June 6, 2017, 4:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,242
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Tommy

Still banging that drum are we 09?

09 clearly is a better judge of a left back than Darren Ferguson and all the other managers who've signed Danny Andrew at L1 level.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 33
Mariner Timsky
June 6, 2017, 6:09pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 5
'Yawnfest' and 'stutter season' have been used so far on this thread to describe last season. I wouldn't say it was at all boring and as for stuttering it was a season of establishing ourselves back in the football league and that was exactly what was achieved.

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 33
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Help me

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.