This thread currently has 2,424 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
June 1, 2017, 3:41pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197

I remember it well, I was one of the couple of hundred or so brave souls that night.......

http://www.codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=6291

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
crusty ole pie
June 1, 2017, 7:30pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,327
Gold Stars: 66
I remember that night well it was certainly bizarre
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 9
The_Laughing_Mariner
June 2, 2017, 10:31am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,041
Gold Stars: 10
I was there that night

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 9
grimps
June 2, 2017, 3:20pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,121
Gold Stars: 46
I remember going there in 89 or 90 when Buckley substituted our Sub Big Kieth after about ten minutes of playing time , He had missed two or three sitters and Alan had hand enough.
We went onto win with later goal and sent the big away following home happy.
My other memory of this game was the coach breaking down on the way there and then having our replacment coach tyres slashed when we went to board for the way home.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 9
June 3, 2017, 10:27am
Guest User
I was at the 5-2 game with my brother - who'd had to persuade me to leave the real ale at the nearby boozer (called the Cemetary?).
He was looking a bit ashen-faced with Town 2 down quickly and the heavens opening up on us!

The remarkable thing about the game was not that we scored five away goals....but that we somehow contrived to concede two
goals to a Rochdale side that would have been outclassed by the best XI the Town fans there could have assembled.

So I said to 'bro at two down: "We will win this, because Rochdale are too bad for us not to." I was correct (which is most unusual).
Reply: 4 - 9
Quagmire
June 3, 2017, 11:17am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +926
Gold Stars: 43
Quoted from grimps
I remember going there in 89 or 90 when Buckley substituted our Sub Big Kieth after about ten minutes of playing time , He had missed two or three sitters and Alan had hand enough.
We went onto win with later goal and sent the big away following home happy.
My other memory of this game was the coach breaking down on the way there and then having our replacment coach tyres slashed when we went to board for the way home.

https://youtu.be/Z3sAlxbXY1Y
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 9
gary_elton
June 3, 2017, 12:05pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.20
Rep Score: +23 / -6
Approval: +1,243
Gold Stars: 6
I was in the away crowd at Rochdale for the 89-90 game....pandemonium when we scored... lost
my 11 year old daughter instantly... panic set in... only to find her up on top of the fence screaming
and yelling and waving her fist in the air...   I went back to my place....   happy days...

All my pictures , Seem to fade to black and white.... (Reg Dwight)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 9
barralad
June 3, 2017, 12:07pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
That match took place on my 21st. birthday. I was booked on the Supporters coach. Took the afternoon off work...got hammered in the White Knight on Bacardi and was woken up by a policeman at 4.30 in the afternoon on the steps of the ABC Cleethorpes. Another successful trip....not.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 9
Mrs Doyle
June 3, 2017, 4:29pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
unfortunately I am old enough to remember when the crowd at BP changed ends at half time lol. No segregation in those days.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 9
mimma
June 3, 2017, 6:25pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,571
Gold Stars: 78
Went to this game with my brother. There was some handbags outside before the game so we thought we go in the side stand to avoid the idiots. When we got in we found ourselves sorounded by the Rochdale mob baiting the Town fans behind the goal.

We were two down after 15 mins and the Rochdale fans around us were going mental.

We scored and then a very rare event happened, a Bobby Mitchell goal.

After half time the Rochdale mob went behind the goal so we were safe to celebrate the end half onslaught from Town.

Had to dodge missiles in the car park outside the stand after the game to get to our car.

Rochdale was bloody rough dump in those days.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 9
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The night the crowd changed ends

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.