This thread currently has 16,451 views. Print
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
oldun
April 29, 2017, 6:27pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Now we know, our performances have had nothing to do with the managers. We have had 3 and nothing has changed. Maybe number 4 will have better luck.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 103
Mrs Doyle
April 29, 2017, 6:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I think we have been pushed around a fair bit this season so it's a good observation Ginny, sometimes you need one or two bullies in a side I fail to see who plays that role for us. Also if you listened to RS post match today he mentioned the word mentality so maybe Marcus did have a point around mind set after all.

Funny league this as this morning we where 7 points ahead of Barnet who sat in 15th, watching the game today you would have thought it was the other way around.

Gunning always looked a bit of a bully but the top sides like Donny.Portsmouth Plymouth did not need a bully more of a case of unsettled side imho. It's hard to be consistent when your constantly chopping and changing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 103
mariner91
April 29, 2017, 6:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,641
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from rancido

......and who picked the team ? Only " super morphing power manager Russell Slade". If anyone thought that RS being appointed as manager would make  lot of difference are sadly disillusioned. MB should have been allowed to carry on with his vision of  what he required to make the club a force next season. A lot of criticism on the thread about Ben Davies but he was PH's solution to what we needed at right back!!! I hope that the summer signings will bring a new perspective to next season but I don't think " super morphing power manager "nearly man" manager Slade" will be the answer.

And who left him with the most unbalanced squad that we've ever seen? He'd have been crucified if we'd lost 3-1 and he'd not played a designated RB at RB so who else was he going to pick other than Davies?! Bignot was in over his head and I have no doubt that RS will do better than he would have done. Nobody has claimed that Slade is whatever it is you've described him as but is he a safer bet than a man we took from a career high of 16th in the National League? Of course he is.

People were saying Bignot had had no time yet you've come out with this rubbish after two poor performances and two very good ones when he's only been here less than three weeks.  Talk about hypocritical.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 103
rancido
April 29, 2017, 6:58pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

Well that didn't take long Ben Davis was the best thing since sliced bread first game in when he scored that free kick lol and I see Slades still got his knockers must feel like a kick in the maracas to the magnificent 1,200 travelling Amigo's though.

For the record I never thought Ben Davis was " the best thing since sliced bread" regardless of any sensational free kick he scored. In fact there are many examples of players scoring against us and many other teams who have scored once in a lifetime free kicks. I will openly admit I never wanted Slade back! His departure , regardless of what JF says now , left a nasty taste in my mouth. IMO MB should have been given more time to put into practice the ideas and vision that he had for the club. We , as spectators , were obviously baffled by some of MB's team selections but he obviously had a reason for these and they weren't just random selections or picking players names out of a hat! I could be proved wrong ( and I sincerely hope I am ) but to me RS is a " nearly man " and I don't think he will get us out of League 2. To me the only saving grace is that Wilko is his deputy and he could be the answer we need.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 103
Mariner93er
April 29, 2017, 7:24pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,728
Gold Stars: 28
Bignot knew what he was doing. No one can convince me otherwise.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 103
rancido
April 29, 2017, 8:29pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from mariner91

And who left him with the most unbalanced squad that we've ever seen? He'd have been crucified if we'd lost 3-1 and he'd not played a designated RB at RB so who else was he going to pick other than Davies?! Bignot was in over his head and I have no doubt that RS will do better than he would have done. Nobody has claimed that Slade is whatever it is you've described him as but is he a safer bet than a man we took from a career high of 16th in the National League? Of course he is.

People were saying Bignot had had no time yet you've come out with this rubbish after two poor performances and two very good ones when he's only been here less than three weeks.  Talk about hypocritical.

Unbalanced by virtue of the fact it was still work in progress. Yes , we did have far too many midfielders but Clements, Osbourne and Sam Jones were astute acquisitions and surely MB was justified in getting them when their performances are factored in?
I don't accept that MB was " in over his head " but will accept that he is still learning his trade and with his experience as a player he will get better.
Contrary to what you say , there were posters on this site positively drooling over the fact that RS was back, that he would be the saviour of GTFC and indeed many had been clamouring for him to come back over the last few seasons.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 103
Swansea_Mariner
April 30, 2017, 8:48am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,443
Gold Stars: 63
I dont think its fair to lay all the blame for this squad at MBs door. PH is more to blame for the unbalanced state of the squad. Looking at what we had it's obvious why MB thought it needed sorting.

PH signed Berret, Summerfield, Disley, McAllister, Vose, Comley, Venny and Clifton. That's 8 centre mids probably none of which are really up to it for a promotion chasing side, but good enough to deliver a lower mid table finish which is what we have.

PH also signed only 4 wide players, 3 of which had never played a league game and the other came from a relegated side.  

Ultimately MB went a bit transfer happy when he should have just worked with what he had, which was a mid table unbalanced team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 103
jaygy
April 30, 2017, 9:08am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +2,351
Gold Stars: 6
MB inherited an unbalanced Mid-table team, signed a load of players and left us with an unbalanced mid-table team. How the hell we came out of the January transfer window with just Bolarinwa as our only recognised wide player was very worrying
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 103
HertsGTFC
April 30, 2017, 9:39am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
I dont think its fair to lay all the blame for this squad at MBs door. PH is more to blame for the unbalanced state of the squad. Looking at what we had it's obvious why MB thought it needed sorting.

PH signed Berret, Summerfield, Disley, McAllister, Vose, Comley, Venny and Clifton. That's 8 centre mids probably none of which are really up to it for a promotion chasing side, but good enough to deliver a lower mid table finish which is what we have.

PH also signed only 4 wide players, 3 of which had never played a league game and the other came from a relegated side.  

Ultimately MB went a bit transfer happy when he should have just worked with what he had, which was a mid table unbalanced team.

It could be argued that Vose and Clifton are 10s or at least attacking mids which leaves 6 which in a squad of 23 ish..is about right considering Venney is developing. Who was the 4th wide player? I can name Chambers, Browne and Bolarinwa but can't think of the other one. The fact that Hurst signed wide players as well as CMs would suggest he was trying to get balance but he did not stick around long enough for us to see if he was right or not.

Bignot clearly thought that the squad that was sitting in the play offs when he took over didn't have the right blend in mid field so he added more central midfield players who had failed to make an impact at their previous clubs or never played in the FL, that's fine if you can ship the others out or keep the ones who aren't playing happy, he failed on both of those accounts and that amongst other thongs probably cost him his job. Also signing players "for the future" when your paying full time wages is a very risky strategy.        

Bignot may still have been the manager and our competitive season may not be over if he had managed the keeper situation better, made a replacement for Omar his number 1 priority and added Osborne, Jones and kept or added 2 wide players. Oh yeah and not insisting on changing a winning team or retaining the same 11 that had been dicked in the previous game

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 103
LoudmouthBFC
April 30, 2017, 5:41pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: -5
Barnet F.C. 3 v Grimsby Town F.C. 1 | Mariachi you're having a laugh | (29/04/17) Matchday Vlog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1fC7iqdBes
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 103
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Match thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.