4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
January 24, 2017, 3:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,630
Gold Stars: 185
Service has been rather hit and miss, I think.

I can't remember too many good chances he's missed this season so his conversion rate is very good at the moment. He seemed to spurn a lot more chances last season when service was perhaps better (or more precisely, the opposition was weaker).

This season, more chances would surely mean more goals? I realise he usually has a few optimistic long-range shots each game (often when a pass might be the better option!), but I wouldn't really classify these as good chances.

Look at his stats for the season - minutes per goal are miles better than anyone and nobody can touch his goals/assists figures.

If the teams performances improve with the new signings, I'm hoping Bogle will get more chances coming his way and it would be nice to see him fire us towards a play-off/promotion push.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 34
KingstonMariner
January 24, 2017, 3:59pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
I'm probably in a minority group of 1 and will undoubtedly get 'red marked' to death for this but I genuinly think that Omar is hugely overrated.

Yes he's good a good goalscoring record but his all round play at times is very poor. If he's not scoring then he's doesn't really contribute to the team very well at all. He does have the occasional game there he's outstanding but then may have 4 or 5 where he's anonymous.

His attitude isn't the greatest and he gets easily frustrated, he's very greedy and will often shoot on sight when there are far better options available. I can't see us getting anywhere near the money people are talking about for him because his overall game just isn't up to scratch.

I dearly hope I'm proved wrong but looking at him objectively, without bias I just down see what the massive fuss is. He's a good player don't get me wrong but certainly not the next Jamie Vardy!

Quite frankly, if a striker is scoring as often as Bogle is, I don't care what his contribution is in other areas of the pitch. The guy is scoring not just when he gets good service, or when the opposition are crap, he gets goals out of nothing too (like the one at Crawley).

Saying that there is still room for improvement, but I reckon he has the assets to make those improvements.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 34
Mariner_09
January 24, 2017, 4:07pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
His awareness and ball control have improved massively this year and if those attributes continue to improve then he could really be a top top striker, just needs to be kept on the straight and narrow, MB will do this and therefore the club he goes to needs to be the right one that will nuture him and inprove him.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 34
Posh Harry
January 24, 2017, 5:22pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,363
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from Maringer
I think the fact that Bogle is scoring so many goals, in an average team, with little support up front and not much service from midfield, while leading the line almost single-handedly, is an indication that he's got a lot about his game, whatever else he lacks.

I do wonder how many goals he might be able to score playing off a target man or with more service from the midfielders/wingers? Hopefully, we'll find out during this second half of the season, with the new signings on board!

Average. AVERAGE!!!! How very dare you sir. We are Grimsby Town, the finest team in the whole of the land

UTFM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 34
grimsby pete
January 24, 2017, 5:54pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,825
Gold Stars: 222
If a team has the money and they need a proven goal scorer they will pay the money,

Knock them back 3 times at least then they will come back with the right offer,

If  they don't its our gain, we keep Omar a little longer,

I am sure if we do not sell him in the summer he will get a better contract from us ,

Seeing as he has scored the goals that got us into L1  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 34
tanga_the_indestructible
January 24, 2017, 6:16pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +655
Gold Stars: 5
I'm probably in a minority group of 1 and will undoubtedly get 'red marked' to death for this but I genuinly think that Omar is hugely overrated.

Yes he's good a good goalscoring record but his all round play at times is very poor. If he's not scoring then he's doesn't really contribute to the team very well at all. He does have the occasional game there he's outstanding but then may have 4 or 5 where he's anonymous.

His attitude isn't the greatest and he gets easily frustrated, he's very greedy and will often shoot on sight when there are far better options available. I can't see us getting anywhere near the money people are talking about for him because his overall game just isn't up to scratch.

I dearly hope I'm proved wrong but looking at him objectively, without bias I just down see what the massive fuss is. He's a good player don't get me wrong but certainly not the next Jamie Vardy!

You are essentially also describing Jimmy Greaves, Malcolm McDonald and Gary Lineker.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 34
headingly_mariner
January 24, 2017, 6:20pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,392
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from Cloudy
People point to Kemar Roofe and the price Leeds paid but then you look at Winnall and potentially Taylor and doubt we will get silly money. If we do great, if not then we push on and hopefully Omar will extend his stay and continue his development

If Winnall had the same amount of time left on his contract as Omar you could've timed that fee by 10. If Taylor really had that clause he would be gone already.

As we get to the end of the window we will get bids closer to our record sale.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 34
golfer
January 24, 2017, 6:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,442
Gold Stars: 116

Who DO you like ?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 34
HertsGTFC
January 24, 2017, 6:51pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228

As a footnote to this 2 points, 1 he gets paid to score goals 2 excluding cups he is currently top scorer in league 2 and only 1 behind Dwight Gale across the 4 divisions. Not bad for what 23 (I think) and most of his 1st team career in "tin pot".

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 34
chaos33
January 24, 2017, 6:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,972
Gold Stars: 360
I think the crystallised points from these discussions are essentially that Bogle is a great goalscorer and developing footballer. I see his best professional evolution pathway as being a continuation of what he is doing with us, at least til the end of the season, or a move to league 1. I don't think he's championship ready or equipped yet.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 34
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Marty Taylor

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.