This thread currently has 4,639 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
LH
October 19, 2016, 10:08pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,554
Gold Stars: 174
He missed it cause he went for a pee....
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 23
KingstonMariner
October 19, 2016, 10:17pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Bremner did have a spat of 'handbags' with Keegan in the Charity Shield

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 23
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 19, 2016, 10:48pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
I remember them playing at BP the year they were promoted and they won pretty comfortably, 2-0 if I remember rightly. The side wasn't the one people remember these days.

Sprake

Reaney
Charlton
Hunter
Bell

Bremner
Collins

Giles
Storry
Weston
Johansson

Jack Charlton had only really just established himself, it was Revie who made him knuckle down. Prior to that the CB was Freddy Goodwin who was manager at Scunny for a while.

I'm fairly sure Don Weston played in this game. He was an excellent striker who had a bit of a hoodoo over Town from when he was at Wrexham. Pretty sure Jim Storry scored one.

Albert Johansson was a black South African which was unique in the game at the time. He was like greased lightning but he took a lot of racist stick from defenders and crowds including sadly at BP. Leeds signed O'Grady from Huddersfield soon after and eventually Johansson died an alcoholic I believe.

Bobby Collins was an absolute genius. If he had been 6 inches taller he would have had everything. He taught Bremner & Giles everything about being a midfield player. Why Everton let him go I will never know. Revie also conned Busby into letting Giles join Leeds.

Sprake was about 18 at this time. He couldn't kick the ball hardly, even out of his hands. Nearly every ball ended up in the stands for a throw in his own half. But he was a good shot stopper.

His most famous incident was in front of the Kop at Anfield when he caught the ball and went to throw it out but it went behind him into the net. The Kop almost immediately started singing "Careless Hands" which Des O'Connor had in the charts that year. Even more unfortunately it was in front of the TV cameras!

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 23
Badger57
October 19, 2016, 11:07pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,914
Gold Stars: 30

His most famous incident was in front of the Kop at Anfield when he caught the ball and went to throw it out but it went behind him into the net. The Kop almost immediately started singing "Careless Hands" which Des O'Connor had in the charts that year. Even more unfortunately it was in front of the TV cameras!

As I recall, his excuse was ice on his string glove sticking to the ball! Lololol 😆

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 23
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 19, 2016, 11:14pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Badger57

As I recall, his excuse was ice on his string glove sticking to the ball! Lololol 😆

Might have been true!

Just looked up that goal but couldn't find the film so maybe it wasn't on MOTD but I have seen it I'm sure. And I gave the Kop too much credit - it was the club DJ who played Careless Hands at half time and then the Kop sang it when he came out for the second half.

Sad that his career is defined by errors because he was an outstanding reflex keeper in the same sort of mould as Charlie Wright and Nigel Batch. RIP Gary.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 23
Grantham_Mariner
October 20, 2016, 9:45am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,196
Gold Stars: 51
I had a pair of his sock number thingys. [url]https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&ved=0ahUKEwiqj_GE_-jPAhVCWBoKHYASDrkQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mightyleeds.co.uk%2Fmatches%2F19720318.htm&bvm=bv.136499718,d.d2s&psig=AFQjCNGCkWM_vbxVMCG1BrTeAcklmswESA&ust=1477039487253696[/url]

Was given them when I went met him after a game when I was 16.

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 23
grimsby pete
October 20, 2016, 9:51am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,800
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Civvy at last

Hate to p1ss on your bonfire Pete but it was Norman Hunter and Lee that had the punch up. Hunter tw@tted Lee and split his lip. They both got sent off. On the way off Lee put Hunter on his @rse. I'm 90% sure it was on match of the day.  

But back on topic RIP Gary. A great keeper in his day.  

You are right Civvy ( memory playing up )

It was Bremner and Keegan that had a go at each other and both got sent off.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 23
Paris Mariner
October 20, 2016, 10:30am
www.theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +809
Quoted from grimsby pete

They were a very talented team all internationals apart from Reaney ,

BUT

Was inclined to kick the man and not the ball a lot.

I  can never forget when Bremner and Franny Lee had a good scrap on and off the pitch.

Look at the footage. They were filthy. Clough was right.

bilbaogroundguide.wordpress.com
ingoldale.tumblr.com Football and gig ticket blog
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 17 - 23
gtfc55
October 20, 2016, 12:00pm

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +83
Quoted from grimsby pete

They were a very talented team all internationals apart from Reaney .

In fact even Reaney got 3 England caps and he was a regular in the squad but not first choice full back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 23
Ipswin
October 20, 2016, 12:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from grimsby pete
They was that good that I can still remember the team off by heart,

Sprake

Reaney                              Cooper

Bremner                Charlton               Hunter

Lorimer          Clarke             Jones              Giles              Gray

Only one sub in those days   Madely  he could play in any position,   not so hot on the spelling though.  ,

The only other team I can remember    from years ago ( apart from Town ) was England 66/

But you can't remember what happened yesterday Pete!  

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 23
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › R.i.p. Gary sprake

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.