Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst post match.
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 223 Guests

Hurst post match.

This thread currently has 4,448 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
August 27, 2016, 7:46pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
http://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/freeview-stevenage-reaction-3276224.aspx

Doesn't seem as enamoured about the victory today as the fans do, which shows the mind of a football manager. Thinks we played better last week and we looked a bit shaky first half today. He's probably right but fans forget about all that when the goals are flying in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
dapperz fun pub
August 27, 2016, 8:23pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,022
Gold Stars: 83
Results business I'm happy when town win it makes my weekend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 20
oldun
August 27, 2016, 8:24pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
I think he was right. We played really well in several periods of the games. There were other times when we looked scrappy. I agree with his comments about looking nervy early on. However, Paul let's enjoy the good bits, the goals and the 3 points.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 20
moosey_club
August 27, 2016, 9:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,288
Gold Stars: 226
Really pisses me off...

sorry Paul but we didnt play better last week..... we may have passed the ball more last week but we actually created very little of note from all that sideways and backwards passing....we completely dominated Orient but without hardly working their keeper...this week we passed with purpose and intent and as a result could have scored 7/8/9, their keeper made 2/3 excellent saves to deny Summerfield/Bogle , we hit the bar and a couple of chances were snatched at.

and as for "i think the fans applauded but i dont think they realised what they were applauding" ...in reference to Summerfields goal...what a condescending statement that is. Seriously...have some respect for the people that pay your wages...it was a very well worked goal from a team perspective, some lovely interplay and for Summerfield to adjust his body to get the strike off, under pressure, with such accuracy was technically superb.

Not interested in being a manager involved in high scoring games....yawn

He did get around to talking some positives in there but i think that interview is a microcosm of why Hurst just doesnt enamour himself to the supporters very often.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 20
HertsGTFC
August 27, 2016, 9:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from ginnywings
http://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/freeview-stevenage-reaction-3276224.aspx

Doesn't seem as enamoured about the victory today as the fans do, which shows the mind of a football manager. Thinks we played better last week and we looked a bit shaky first half today. He's probably right but fans forget about all that when the goals are flying in.

At 4 - 2 when they attacked I did not feel 100% confident that they would not score again as we look shaky at the back and Macca at time mentally drifts off into outer space, though Andrew was as much to blame for the 2nd as Macca was TBH. However this has been the case for the first few games of the last few seasons. I put it down to the amount of changes we have made close season, we will get meaner on defence.

O.K. PH may or may not be right about the perofrmnace versus last week but this week we scored 5 decent goals and conceeded 2 thats all that matters.      

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 20
Chrisblor
August 27, 2016, 9:26pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,932
Gold Stars: 238
Exactly. I can understand him wanting to play down the performance to keep expectations in check (standard managerial psychology), but the bit about us supporters not understanding the exceptional team play which led to Summerfield's goal was unnecessary and frankly rather patronising. Just not needed after everyone was walking out of Blundell Park happy!

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 20
headingly_mariner
August 27, 2016, 9:42pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,392
Gold Stars: 120
I really like the stubborn little fornicator. Have to say I think we definatley played better first half last week and thought we really were 2nd best for much of the 1st half today, Bogle was the clear difference first half and our 1 bit of real quality as a team we scored from. Thought we were excellent 2nd half. He never gets carried away either way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 20
Vance Warner
August 27, 2016, 9:50pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,819
Gold Stars: 105
People looking for a reason to be p1ssed off with the manager after an emphatic home win. Unbelievable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 20
acko338
August 27, 2016, 10:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,230
Gold Stars: 33
I hope he is happy with 5 goals at home but still unhappy with 2 against.

Still need a quality high level centre back - another Nathan Pond would be good.

Vast improvement - result wise, but still more needed..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 20
jamesgtfc
August 27, 2016, 10:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,038
Gold Stars: 190
Hurst was a defender and we conceded another 2 goals today. You don't concede, you don't lose so I understand why he isn't as delighted as we maybe expect.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 20
Davec
August 27, 2016, 10:05pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
I really don't get what people are moaning at

Did I feel offended by his comment about the fans for Summerfield goal ? no i don't because I'm don't see any malice in it.

I think I agree with everything, just because we scored 5 we were also scrappy at times, and his comment he doesn't like being a manager of high scoring games, spot on because it means you generally have conceded too many.

Spot on interview in my opinion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 20
Kris2
August 27, 2016, 10:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Vance Warner
People looking for a reason to be p1ssed off with the manager after an emphatic home win. Unbelievable.

I'm not even sure why it's like "He says we played better last week but we lost therefore we didn't play better than last week how dare he complain! And how dare he say we don't understand how technically sound that goal was and that we don't understand football!" I think fan logic is always different to manager logic. If we win we are happy and everything was perfect but if we lose nobody played well and the manager needs to be sacked. All he is saying was despite us wining by three goals he's still demanding more from the team.

I think it's mainly that he made a comment about the fans that they don't really understand and they feel it's insulting their intelligence.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 20
Rick12
August 27, 2016, 10:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from ginnywings

I like this by Hurst.Looking at the overall picture and the season is a long haul.Wants to iron out weaknesses and keep us improving

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 20
Tommy
August 27, 2016, 10:39pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
Not really got a problem with his comments although i disagree we were better last week.

I know what he means as we did have good spells of possession last week. But spells of possession are pointless unless there's an end product to it - i.e. a chance created. Today we attacked with purpose and a bit of ruthlessness. And we threatened their goal, which in truth we didn't do much last week.

All we need to take from Hurst's comments here is that after a 5-2 win he still thinks we can play better. So isn't that a good thing? Not resting on laurels and wants us to improve further. High standards.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 20
lew chaterleys lover
August 27, 2016, 10:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from moosey_club
Really pisses me off...

sorry Paul but we didnt play better last week..... we may have passed the ball more last week but we actually created very little of note from all that sideways and backwards passing....we completely dominated Orient but without hardly working their keeper...this week we passed with purpose and intent and as a result could have scored 7/8/9, their keeper made 2/3 excellent saves to deny Summerfield/Bogle , we hit the bar and a couple of chances were snatched at.

and as for "i think the fans applauded but i dont think they realised what they were applauding" ...in reference to Summerfields goal...what a condescending statement that is. Seriously...have some respect for the people that pay your wages...it was a very well worked goal from a team perspective, some lovely interplay and for Summerfield to adjust his body to get the strike off, under pressure, with such accuracy was technically superb.

He did get around to talking some positives in there but i think that interview is a microcosm of why Hurst just doesnt enamour himself to the supporters very often.

I think most supporters greatly admire Paul Hurst. Some keyboard warriors on here (including me from time to time) might have a go, but he is forging a very good managerial career. We did play as well last week in my opinion, we just didn't get the goals our play deserved which happens sometimes. I overheard an Orient fan say last week we were excellent and "would be up there" so lets hope he is right.

Of course you have to take into account the opposition - I think Orient were a stronger outfit than Stevenage.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 20
grimps
August 27, 2016, 11:25pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,136
Gold Stars: 46
Id take 5-2 with a couple of defensive clangers every week  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 20
oldun
August 28, 2016, 9:44am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Quoted from moosey_club
Really pisses me off...

We did work the Orient keeper last week. In fact he was their MOM and league 2's keeper of the week.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 20
moosey_club
August 28, 2016, 9:45am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,288
Gold Stars: 226
Taking out the comment insinuating the supporters dont fully appreciate Summerfields goal his basic summary of the game is still

we didnt play as well as we did last week !!

So.....
We played well last week but we still gave up 2 goals managed a deflected goal ourselves and forced their keeper to make probably 2 decent saves, sent the fans home miserable...and lost.

We played worse this week..we still gave up 2 goals...scored 5 excellent goals, forced their keeper into 3(?) excellent saves, hit the woodwork, had the crowd buzzing, sent the fans home happy and ....won.  

Cut to Hurst Mansion, outskirts of Rotherham, the kids are in bed early and PH has just given Mrs PH the rodgering of a lifetime, Mrs PH lies back onto her duck down pillows, lights a post orgasmic cigarette and exhales.."that was amazing Paul"....
"Well i thought i was better last week, i thought my general foreplay was better and although i couldnt find your g spot i was much happier with my performance"  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 20
Teesknees
August 28, 2016, 9:58am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,596
Gold Stars: 18
Whilst in the bedroom of the Scott household a red faced Rob is shouting at his wife " Well if you don't like it don't fcking come!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 20
sydney
August 28, 2016, 10:25am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
Is / Would Pond be available?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 20
rancido
August 28, 2016, 10:49am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,617
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Tommy
Not really got a problem with his comments although i disagree we were better last week.

I know what he means as we did have good spells of possession last week. But spells of possession are pointless unless there's an end product to it - i.e. a chance created. Today we attacked with purpose and a bit of ruthlessness. And we threatened their goal, which in truth we didn't do much last week.

All we need to take from Hurst's comments here is that after a 5-2 win he still thinks we can play better. So isn't that a good thing? Not resting on laurels and wants us to improve further. High standards.

But if you don't have possession then you can't create chances ! The more we work on keeping possession and stretching the opposition , the more the chances will come. Having the ball for large periods of a game gives a side more confidence and frustrates the opposition. Retain the ball and we have something to build on, keep giving the ball away and the better teams will punish us.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 20
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst post match.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.