This thread currently has 6,837 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
KK_DOG
June 25, 2016, 12:17pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +472
Loved them both and still do. They got us out of that tinpot League.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 22
RonMariner
June 25, 2016, 12:43pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,786
Gold Stars: 226
Would have preferred both of them to stay.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 22
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 25, 2016, 12:46pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
The description of Amond as a flat track bully is a fair one. I always fought his corner when Hurst left him out though simply because it was a flat track bully we had lacked in previous seasons. We were not scoring goals against the bottom half teams in the Conference. Amond did that and while his contribution in the play-offs or against the top sides may not have been great, he solved a big problem for us and was very instrumental in us making it into the top 4. Would we have made up his 37 goals from anywhere else? Very doubtful.

He could be successful in L2 if he is given a good run of games, the manager sticks by him if he has a goal-less spell and he is played in a 4-4-2 with a decent and big strike partner. But my gut feeling is that he will find the goals harder to come by and his all round game isn't good enough to guarantee him a place in the team if he isn't scoring.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 22
chaos33
June 25, 2016, 1:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,972
Gold Stars: 360
Agree with the 3 posts above ⬆️.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 22
lee65
June 25, 2016, 2:02pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,486
Gold Stars: 10
As all above say, Toto has his bad / mad moments, but his fantastic pace gets him out of 90% of them
Amond a good finisher, but needs decent service.  Not the kind of player to beat three men and get you a goal from nowhere
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 22
Garth
June 26, 2016, 12:08pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,935
Gold Stars: 26
Both players gave their all for us and helped us to promotion, I would have liked them to have stayed but they have not so it is what it is, PH is working on adequate replacements and I for one am excited by our new signings.

No need for anyone to be bitter about them, yes like everyone they have their faults,  but TBH their positive points far out weighed their negatives, so good luck lads see you soon when you visit BP
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 22
grimsby pete
June 26, 2016, 12:47pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,823
Gold Stars: 222
Podge will go missing in a lot of games,

Toto will make a silly mistake now and again,

BUT

I loved them both and thank them for taking us back into the league,

Podge had trouble scoring anything like the goals he scored for us the last time he played in the league so don't expect too much from him, 15 goals would be my bet,

Toto has a fragile confidence problem, if he cam overcome that he will play a lot higher than L2.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 22
KingstonMariner
June 26, 2016, 4:28pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
"Podge will go missing in a lot of games,"

On what do you base that judgement Pete?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 22
diehardmariner
June 27, 2016, 4:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,650
Gold Stars: 539
Can't really disagree with much of the above.

Amond was first class for us last season and it was only towards the end of the campaign where he dried up a bit.   That could be fatigue, it could be that we changed our approach a little.  Who knows?

Soon as I saw him last season he looked like a knock-off version of Shane Long, in both appearance and style of play.  Not quite as a quick as Long but full of running and for someone who isn't what you would call a big lad, he knows how to use his body well and wins a surprising amount of headers.

His movement last season was unreal at times, he just seemed on a different wavelength to everyone else.  Obviously the goals are what brought him to attention but he got a fair share of assists too.   His attitude was nothing but outstanding, even when dropped from the side.  

There is that big question mark over how he struggled to score much against the better sides last season and has hardly ripped up trees in League Two before, albeit often used as a bit part player, but he did exactly what we needed last year - put sides to the sword.  

Toto has everything going for him physically.  He's quick (I mean really quick - if you're not sure YouTube Macclesfield's second goal against us on Easter Monday.  Toto gave Reece Styche 20 yards head start and still caught up him up), strong in the air and can bring the ball out of defence very well.  The problem is that he's a bit fragile.  Lost count the number of times a bruiser of a centre forward kicked him early and got in his head, cue guaranteed penalty/free kick given away on said centre forward.   He also had a few mid game meltdowns where he looked like he was about to have a nervous breakdown.  God knows what goes on in his head but it is his biggest downfall by far.    His reasoning for leaving here seemed really pathetic at the time and did little but put the backs up of fans who had, in the majority, backed him all the way.  I fear he'll be disappointed if he thinks any set of fans won't give him criticism at some point.  

He gets his head straight and he'll go higher than League Two.   He fails to do that and he'll drop back into the Conference and perhaps lower very, very quickly.   This will be a crucial year for him.  
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 22
rancido
June 27, 2016, 4:19pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,617
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from diehardmariner
Can't really disagree with much of the above.

Amond was first class for us last season and it was only towards the end of the campaign where he dried up a bit.   That could be fatigue, it could be that we changed our approach a little.  Who knows?

Soon as I saw him last season he looked like a knock-off version of Shane Long, in both appearance and style of play.  Not quite as a quick as Long but full of running and for someone who isn't what you would call a big lad, he knows how to use his body well and wins a surprising amount of headers.

His movement last season was unreal at times, he just seemed on a different wavelength to everyone else.  Obviously the goals are what brought him to attention but he got a fair share of assists too.   His attitude was nothing but outstanding, even when dropped from the side.  

There is that big question mark over how he struggled to score much against the better sides last season and has hardly ripped up trees in League Two before, albeit often used as a bit part player, but he did exactly what we needed last year - put sides to the sword.  

Toto has everything going for him physically.  He's quick (I mean really quick - if you're not sure YouTube Macclesfield's second goal against us on Easter Monday.  Toto gave Reece Styche 20 yards head start and still caught up him up), strong in the air and can bring the ball out of defence very well.  The problem is that he's a bit fragile.  Lost count the number of times a bruiser of a centre forward kicked him early and got in his head, cue guaranteed penalty/free kick given away on said centre forward.   He also had a few mid game meltdowns where he looked like he was about to have a nervous breakdown.  God knows what goes on in his head but it is his biggest downfall by far.    His reasoning for leaving here seemed really pathetic at the time and did little but put the backs up of fans who had, in the majority, backed him all the way.  I fear he'll be disappointed if he thinks any set of fans won't give him criticism at some point.  

He gets his head straight and he'll go higher than League Two.   He fails to do that and he'll drop back into the Conference and perhaps lower very, very quickly.   This will be a crucial year for him.  

I seem to recall that Connell was the same - more goals in the early part of the season than the latter part. Maybe  as both were newcomers to non-league they were an "unknown quantity" to opposing managers who maybe had little previous knowledge of them. Once they had been watched by our fellow leagues managers then their strengths were identified and ways to nullify them were employed in their tactics. This might not be the reason but it is a plausible explanation. It's also worth noting that Connell didn't repeat his goal scoring feats when he moved up a level.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 22
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Toto/Almond

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.