Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Josh Venney (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 212 Guests

Josh Venney (merged)

This thread currently has 5,174 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
grimsby pete
June 1, 2016, 3:36pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,823
Gold Stars: 222
I think he will make it,

I hope it will be with us,

BUT

We could always sell him for loads of money in a few years time.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 26
Swansea_Mariner
June 1, 2016, 8:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,468
Gold Stars: 63
Anyone have a view  as to whether he is a better player than Andi Thanoji at the same point  in his career? He'd be the last youth team  player in the same position,  and was wondering if Venny is a better prospect.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 26
ginnywings
June 1, 2016, 8:49pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
Anyone have a view  as to whether he is a better player than Andi Thanoji at the same point  in his career? He'd be the last youth team  player in the same position,  and was wondering if Venny is a better prospect.

I'd say yes from what i have seen of him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 26
Garth
June 2, 2016, 10:03am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,935
Gold Stars: 26
Different player, Thanoji  received the ball rather than won it and produced a good pass sometimes after holding onto the ball far too long, Venney is a ball winner and usually goes forward with pace passing and bombing forward for a return, not afraid to have a shot on goal, thats how I saw the two of them anyway, usually in the reserves regarding Venney.

I think he has a future with GTFC but it will need managing
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 26
diehardmariner
June 2, 2016, 10:40am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,650
Gold Stars: 539
I rated Thanoj very highly and thought he was disappointed when he left.   He had a lot of interest from bigger clubs, Ipswich sent scouts on at least two occasions to watch him and I always felt he had that little bit extra that we often lacked in the Conference.  

That said, no-one came in for when he was without a club and he was last seen in the Conference North for Alfreton.

Proves what I know...

Venney's a different player.  Technically I think Thanoj was streets ahead of him, but in terms of attitude and application Venney turns the tables. Thanoj was often guilty of overplaying, Venney already knows when to go short and when to go long which is a valuable attribute for a midfielder, especially a holding one.   I like him, he's quick on the ball and seems a good lad.  The big question is over how physical he can be, he's certainly not a big lad!  Whenever I've seen him he's not frightened to get stuck in, even against much bigger opponents.  
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 26
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 2, 2016, 5:24pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Size isn't everything.

Dave Boylen played at this level in the days before players were so well protected from the cloggers. Sometimes you learn more, learn faster and learn better by doing than by watching from the bench. I've always been a great believer in the old mantra -  if they're good enough they're old enough and big enough.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 26
Tommy
June 2, 2016, 5:40pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
The size thing with Venney doesn't bother may one bit as he's strong in the tackle and gets stuck in.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 26
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Josh Venney (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.