KingstonMariner
May 30, 2016, 5:22pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.05
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner

There was at least one post on the original thread where someone said they would physically assault Newman if they saw him at a Town game. It received plenty of green ticks but now almost everyone is saying they didn't see.

It is not ok to threaten someone in that manner. It's not good enough to say "free speech" or "it's just because we care" or "just letting off steam" which i believe is the standard catch-all excuse for saying totally unacceptable stuff on the Fishy. Newman is reasonably well known and recognisable and I believe he attends many matches despite living in Scotland so if he was the one who complained I wouldn't blame him.

Clearly posts like that should be deleted, but to ban debate is just bonkers.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 32
KingstonMariner
May 30, 2016, 5:23pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Kk700

Exactly things concerning the football club. So why should we attack and threaten and call someone who has supported town and sat next to us for over 20 years based on e newspaper report as to his business activities   there are probably town supporters sat with us who have done a lot worse and we don't delve into their activities and then open a thread on them. By the way the opening post states that the club asked us not forced us not to carry the previous thread on

I'm all for bringing stuff out in the open. So when you hear of something let us know.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 32
Jaws
May 30, 2016, 10:20pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
Think it's more him using the money to fund OP and then being called a 'sponsor'
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 32
Davec
May 31, 2016, 7:34am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 42
Maybe all of us who donated to OP should be called a "sponsor"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 32
jock dock tower
May 31, 2016, 9:10am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
The thing is, which doesn't seem to have been picked up on, is that in the eyes of the law a threat of physical violence to somebody is actually the same as carrying out that act o violence - as by it's nature it can be intimidating. Whether it actually is or not is another matter.

If something like that is bought to the notice of the Fishy, then I assume there is a duty of care to the person concerned. That being the case, whether or not folk agree with the decision to remove it, the Fishy administrators would be left with no option but to remove or face possible legal consequences themslves? If it comes to removing one post, or losing the Forum again, I know which side I'd come down on.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 32
Rik e B
May 31, 2016, 9:54am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
"Credible threats of violence to the person or damage to property may also fall to be considered under section 1 of the Malicious Communications Act 1988, which prohibits the sending of an electronic communication which conveys a threat, or section 127 of the Communications Act 2003 which prohibits the sending of messages of a "menacing character" by means of a public telecommunications network. However, before proceeding with such a prosecution, prosecutors should heed the words of the Lord Chief Justice in Chambers v DPP [2012] EWH2 2157 (Admin) where he said:

"... a message which does not create fear or apprehension in those to whom it is communicated, or may reasonably be expected to see it, falls outside [section 127(i)(a)], for the simple reason that the message lacks menace." (Paragraph 30)
As a general rule, threats which are not credible should not be prosecuted, unless they form part of a campaign of harassment specifically targeting an individual within the meaning of the Protection from Harassment Act 1997"

I'd say it falls short but you only have to cite steward 'being in fear of his life' after being bopped by an inflatable to see how things could be taken.

In any case threats of violence should not be tolerated on here; the Fishy rules should be amended to state this clearly and a immediate final warning as to conduct should be issued.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 32
KingstonMariner
May 31, 2016, 12:30pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from jock dock tower
The thing is, which doesn't seem to have been picked up on, is that in the eyes of the law a threat of physical violence to somebody is actually the same as carrying out that act o violence - as by it's nature it can be intimidating. Whether it actually is or not is another matter.

If something like that is bought to the notice of the Fishy, then I assume there is a duty of care to the person concerned. That being the case, whether or not folk agree with the decision to remove it, the Fishy administrators would be left with no option but to remove or face possible legal consequences themslves? If it comes to removing one post, or losing the Forum again, I know which side I'd come down on.

They're the operative words

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 32
MuddyWaters
May 31, 2016, 2:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
Nobody condones violence or the threat of violence but surely the best option here would have been to remove the single offending post, send a PM to the correspondent concerned and move on.

I know that's a bit of hindsight, we've already seen that the person concerned regrets it (probably should have thought twice or three times) and it has caused another negative reaction. Surely by now, the powers that be ought to be able to think twice before loading up their PR gun and shooting themselves in both feet.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 32
ginnywings
May 31, 2016, 2:56pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Nobody condones violence or the threat of violence but surely the best option here would have been to remove the single offending post, send a PM to the correspondent concerned and move on.

I know that's a bit of hindsight, we've already seen that the person concerned regrets it (probably should have thought twice or three times) and it has caused another negative reaction. Surely by now, the powers that be ought to be able to think twice before loading up their PR gun and shooting themselves in both feet.

I think the powers that be took exception to the thread rather than any individual post, but whichever way you look at it, 'twas a massive own goal to request it's removal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 32
Marinerz93
June 1, 2016, 5:48pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from ginnywings

I think the powers that be took exception to the thread rather than any individual post, but whichever way you look at it, 'twas a massive own goal to request it's removal.

One leader who has the power to rule all GTFC forums, welcome our glorious and the gracious, most honorable respected and dear leader, a leader, who is a perfect incarnation of the appearance that a leader should have, Commander-in-Chief, Father of the People, His Excellency, Guiding Star of the 21st Century, Bright Sun of Juche, Eternal General Secretary of the Party, Savior and Supreme Leader of the Nation.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/I3yJjXg.jpg[/img]

Hail Hydra

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 32
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › FAO 'the club'

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.