6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Grim74
May 24, 2016, 11:28pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
I remember the bell vue days right dump of a ground lucky if they got 3000 same with Rotherham they only used to get a few thousand at millmoor just goes to show what a new ground can do.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 57
GrimRob
May 25, 2016, 7:39am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,446
Gold Stars: 114
Quoted from Grim74
I remember the bell vue days right dump of a ground lucky if they got 3000 same with Rotherham they only used to get a few thousand at millmoor just goes to show what a new ground can do.

Exactly, that's why we need one otherwise more teams like those will overtake us and we'll end up back in non-league.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 31 - 57
1mickylyons
May 25, 2016, 7:51am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,388
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from GrimRob

They averaged 6,500 last season, that's more than we have managed for decades, so they are right now a bigger club than us. What we did 10 or 20 years ago is irrelevant.

What was the average away support though I bet well over 1k?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 57
ClarkyGTFC
May 25, 2016, 8:04am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +411
Gold Stars: 5
I went to watch Doncaster play away at sheff Utd last season and considering the short distance only brought around 200 fans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 57
Mariner_09
May 25, 2016, 8:07am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
We'll have a competitive budget plus a manager who knows how to spend it and 4000 very noisy Town fans every other week at BP. Historically we are the underdog so I'm not bothered by average gates especially just so long as the ones in there stay with the team and manager all season.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 57
mimma
May 25, 2016, 2:39pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
How do you measure how big a club is/was compared to other clubs?

To me it's all about the here and now rather than what was.

If we are to compete with the Donnys of this world then we need to level the playing field. By that I mean move to a new stadium with up to date facilities and income streams.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 57
Marinerz93
May 25, 2016, 8:25pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
There are more Donny whites than Donny Rovers fans, FACT.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/SQuTGZr.gif[/img]

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 57
May 25, 2016, 9:23pm
Guest User
Our six years in the abyss have damaged the clubs stature within the game. The truth is we have an ageing ground, poor training facilities. I don't know what our scouting network is like but I doubt we have a man with his ear to the ground anywhere outside of Lincolnshire. Prozone stats and monitoring? Nutritionist? (That'll be Dave Moore).

We will need to re-establish ourselves as a proper football club after so long playing pub football, we lost our 2nd best player IMO to Chesterfield, a smaller club than ourselves not so long ago. We can't compete with them or the likes of Doncaster, again a smaller club than ourselves not so long ago.

Let's be honest, look at the Chesterfield and Doncaster examples, can anyone earn a gold star by pointing out what both clubs have in common?
Reply: 37 - 57
GrimRob
May 25, 2016, 9:44pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,446
Gold Stars: 114
Quoted from Mariner_09
We'll have a competitive budget plus a manager who knows how to spend it and 4000 very noisy Town fans every other week at BP. Historically we are the underdog so I'm not bothered by average gates especially just so long as the ones in there stay with the team and manager all season.

We need to keep the fans though. We're bound to get high gates next year on the strength of the promotion and the novelty of a new division . What worries me if people will keep coming after a couple of seasons of mid-table mediocrity with the last 10 games having next to nothing to play for,.In many ways it would be good to hit the ground running in League 2 so we can keep all fans interested and not the 2000-3000 die hards, It really feels as though we are treading water until the new ground comes along and we can really fulfil our potential but in the meantime a successful campaign in a higher division could go a long way

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 38 - 57
MrFisherman
May 25, 2016, 11:12pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: -168
Quoted from Heisenberg
For years I've always seen us as a club whose natural level is League 1, which is a bit weird as I've only seen us have 2 seasons there in my lifetime!  It got me thinking about what our current status is within the game, as I glanced at the League 2 table and thought 'hang on, there's some big clubs in there, I don't remember it being like that before!'.

I wondered if you lot agreed or disagreed with the relative size of GTFC (mainly to do with fan base, and potential fan base) compared to the others?  Here's how I see it:

Clubs bigger than Town:

Plymouth (they might go up to League 1 anyway)
Portsmouth (this is a given)
Carlisle
Luton
Notts County
Donny (this is possibly a debate in itself.....)
Blackpool

Clubs smaller than Town:

Accrington
Wimbledon (also in the Playoff Final......)
Leyton Orient
Cambridge
Mansfield
Wycombe
Exeter
Barnet
Hartlepool
Stevenage
Yeovil
Crawley
Morecambe
Newport
Cheltenham
Colchester
Crewe

You could of course argue that clubs like Orient, Crewe and Cambridge are very similar sized, and I wouldn't disagree with that, but I thought I'd be ruthless and chance my arm a little!

Do people think I'm over or under-cooking us as an outfit?  Be interesting to see whether we think our stock has risen or fallen during the wilderness years........

In summary, though, I still see this next season being one of discovery for us and I'd see mid-table as being a big step in the right direction and a decent achievement.

Anybody got any thoughts?

Why do people talk bollox like this as its always taken from a biased viewpoint and not worth reading
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 57
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Town's status as a club in League 2

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.