arryarryarry
May 6, 2016, 9:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,039
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from GollyGTFC
Craig Clay this season (league games started)...

Clay or Nolan? Discuss...

We may be several million pounds the richer if Clay had scored from that relatively easy chance late on at Shrewsbury instead of blasting it over the bar.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 37
Grimal
May 6, 2016, 9:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,876
Gold Stars: 9
The Clay v Nolan Stats arn't really fair to Nolan as when Clay was playing we had Townsend in the team and he made a massive difference to our team performances. .Anyway I would like to see both of them play on Sunday at the expense of Dizza.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 37
Rik e B
May 6, 2016, 10:31pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Should have been tried before now as Disley been run into the ground so as to have become ineffectual. They could maybe be a great chalk and cheese combination -doubt it will be experimented with now though
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 37
KingstonMariner
May 6, 2016, 11:44pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Grimal
The Clay v Nolan Stats arn't really fair to Nolan as when Clay was playing we had Townsend in the team and he made a massive difference to our team performances. .Anyway I would like to see both of them play on Sunday at the expense of Dizza.  

Agree on the unfairness point.

Besides which, with Clay tending to sit deep, when he loses the ball to the opposition midfielder it leads to a dangerous situation.

I'd be very wary of dropping Diz because he's likely to pop up with a vital goal.

All 3 could work, like it just about did in the Wrexham home game. And as Forza pointed out, that crafty Cockerney Cowley will probably have the pitch narrowed to make it hard to get past them. Going narrower might well be the answer.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 37
Rik e B
May 6, 2016, 11:44pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Well we don't have any wingers and have rarely played it down the wings so why not? Arnold a striker come winger who goes missing 90% of time and the Monk can't run -a couple of times it was played left and he wasn't there as he trotted back from out of position.
Mackreth gone and Marshall a waste of space so it's not like we even got that option
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 37
arryarryarry
May 7, 2016, 9:49am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,039
Gold Stars: 117
If I remember correctly, Hurst & Scott had the Blundell Park pitch narrowed.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 37
ginnywings
May 7, 2016, 10:23am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Craig Clay is bang average and is not the answer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 37
chaos33
May 7, 2016, 10:24am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,978
Gold Stars: 361
Agree.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 37
Garth
May 7, 2016, 11:08am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from ginnywings

What is the answer? what we have lacked all season is pace and wide players that can work the line Townsend style, perhaps if we fail we can start again next year with a clean sheet of paper and write on it a shopping list which would include an attacking midfielder, a twenty plus goal striker, a target man with pace and two proper wingers plus a keeper to push Jimmy Mac.

I think the manager needs no comment if we fail Sunday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 37
mariner91
May 7, 2016, 11:49am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,726
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from ginnywings

I think we definitely look more vulnerable defensively without Craig as he did a lot of work that went unseen and it is noticeable how often Nolan isn't quite where he should be so makes rash challenges. However, I agree Clay is an average player and is ponderous going forward. The reason we've not been so dangerous since January isn't because Clay is good going forward, it's because we lack Townsend and consequently lost all our penetration and the way we play has changed. Arnold losing any semblance of form also doesn't help.

Nolan is a far superior player going forward as seen by the fact that he's scored more goals than Clay and probably has more assists although I don't have the stats to hand. However, Nolan needs to be played in a three, in my opinion to get the best out of him so at the minute, Clay is the answer in that respect. We definitely need at least one, probably two, centre mids in the summer though. It has not been quite right the entire time we've been in this division. In fact it's probably not been right since the start of the 2005/06 season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 37
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › I need Clay

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.