Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › In possession & out of posession
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 236 Guests

In possession & out of posession

This thread currently has 1,026 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
May 5, 2016, 10:51pm
Guest User
In possession we were poor in quality and execution of tactics which were clearly wrong.

Let's look at it. Braintree are a big physical team. We've heard the cliche "well organised", but that is exactly what they are. They set up a low block with a back 4 and a very strong 5 in front of that as a deep defensive unit. They work hard to deny and restrict space in behind them, and they are happy for teams to play direct long balls.

So what tactics do you employ against a strong low block. Well you have to gain possession and work on drawing them out towards the middle third. Then you must turn them around because these guys are happy all day long to defend with their backs to goal. They will be less comfortable facing their own goal and having to defend a bit of football at pace in the deck.

But we didn't do this. Arnold was poor on the right. Monkhouse poor on the left. Bogle frustrated the hell out of me. Nothing stuck with him and for a big lad he allowed himself to be bullied whenever the ball came to him. Ironically perhaps the strongest part of LJL's game last season.

Totally pointless in playing a back 4 tonight. We needed a middle 5 (1 more advanced than the other 4) to maintain possession in front of their low block, draw them out and then turn them around to face their own goal in order to break the lines.

So for me our in possession play and tactics tonight were poor and completely wrong.

Out of possession we were fine. Apart from the penalty I never felt threatened. We dealt with them well. But as I say we could have done so with a back three.

In summary we have got to get the in possession tactics for Saturday
ginnywings
May 5, 2016, 10:51pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,125
Gold Stars: 548
Bloody easy, this footy lark.  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 9
Grimal
May 5, 2016, 10:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,858
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from 120790
In possession we were poor in quality and execution of tactics which were clearly wrong.

Let's look at it. Braintree are a big physical team. We've heard the cliche "well organised", but that is exactly what they are. They set up a low block with a back 4 and a very strong 5 in front of that as a deep defensive unit. They work hard to deny and restrict space in behind them, and they are happy for teams to play direct long balls.

So what tactics do you employ against a strong low block. Well you have to gain possession and work on drawing them out towards the middle third. Then you must turn them around because these guys are happy all day long to defend with their backs to goal. They will be less comfortable facing their own goal and having to defend a bit of football at pace in the deck.

But we didn't do this. Arnold was poor on the right. Monkhouse poor on the left. Bogle frustrated the hell out of me. Nothing stuck with him and for a big lad he allowed himself to be bullied whenever the ball came to him. Ironically perhaps the strongest part of LJL's game last season.

Totally pointless in playing a back 4 tonight. We needed a middle 5 (1 more advanced than the other 4) to maintain possession in front of their low block, draw them out and then turn them around to face their own goal in order to break the lines.

So for me our in possession play and tactics tonight were poor and completely wrong.

Out of possession we were fine. Apart from the penalty I never felt threatened. We dealt with them well. But as I say we could have done so with a back three.

in summary we have got to get the in possession tactics for SaturdayI

Sunday aswell  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 9
May 5, 2016, 10:58pm
Guest User
Quoted from ginnywings
Bloody easy, this footy lark.  

No not easy Ginny, but that's how you play against a fantastic low block.
Reply: 3 - 9
jonnyboy82
May 5, 2016, 10:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Hang on though ascend , you have every confidence in paul hurst taking us up is what you said a few weeks ago wasn't it ?

So all is hunky dory eh ?

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 9
ginnywings
May 5, 2016, 11:00pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,125
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from 120790

No not easy Ginny, but that's how you play against a fantastic low block.

Hurst and Doig with all their coaching qualifications don't know of this? Best let them know.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 9
Marinerz93
May 5, 2016, 11:09pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Hang on though ascend , you have every confidence in paul hurst taking us up is what you said a few weeks ago wasn't it ?

So all is hunky dory eh ?

I bet ascend is glad he didn't make any sausage related bets eh jonnyboy82  

[img]http://i.imgur.com/SvAzO65.gif[/img]

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 9
Bigdog
May 5, 2016, 11:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from 120790

Ascend, your OP in Team Selection thread BEFORE the game..

Macca

Back four of Tait, Toto, Gowling, Horwood. Although I would happily see Pearson and Robertson in there too.

Midfield of Arnold, Nolan, Disley and Monkhouse.

Strikers just have to be Amond and Bogle.

Any arguments from anyone on this?

My post was

"The OP will be the side and if we play our best football, it should be enough to take a good lead to Braintree.

But.. They will play 4-5-1 against our 4-4-2. Immediately we give up numerical advantage in the centre of midfield. It creates the same old problem that if we are not at our best, a park the bus side will find it easy against us. We will have to be at our best out wide to give them something to think about or play it early and long to Bogle and Amond in the hope that they create something between themselves. Playing through central midfield will not be an option.

I always wonder with these threads whether 99% of posters always pick a 4-4-2 because our manager has for five years or that is their formation of choice.

I would pull a rabbit out of the hat if I were Hurst and play a 4-3-1-2. Match them up in centre midfield so we can play through there and have Arnold floating about in areas their defenders won't want to go into, and then he would get back behind the ball when we're defending. When defending, the front two cut each of their full backs off, to force them to play from centre half into our midfield three or have to knock it long to their one up front marked by our two monster centre halves. We've got two full backs that like to get forward and with having three in centre midfield one of Disley or Clay would hold to give them that licence.

McKeown

Tait
Nsiala
Gowling
Horwood

Clay
Disley
Nolan

Arnold

Bogle
Amond

That's what I would play but Monkhouse will always be on a Hurst 4-4-2 team sheet."

I'm not that bright but I think I know a bit about the game. My post was BEFORE the game, your last post in this thread was AFTER the game.

I've been pulling my hair out for months re team selection, formation, sacking the manager etc. I'm absolutely gutted we are in this position. It's not like I haven't been consistent with my posts. I've been able to see what's been coming for months and so have a few others. Where's the know-how and leadership in the boardroom. The writings been on the wall and nobody's wanted to read it or at best ignore it in the vain hope that everything will be ok.

I've ranted on a few threads tonight out of pure frustration, anger and disappointment. I love GTFC and I'm scared of the future and what we could possibly become with clowns in the boardroom and a clown in the manager's office.

We need to be more pro-active as a club rather than analytical posts like yours after the fact that contradict what you say before the game!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 9
KingstonMariner
May 5, 2016, 11:23pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
And as one of the Hurst in-ers Ascend, have you not noticed how the same failures have occurred for a very long time under this manager?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 9
chaos33
May 5, 2016, 11:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from 120790

Tactically quite correct IMO. Even if this isn't how you start and finish the game, it is the way to get at their set up. This, and good delivery from set pieces is the way to score and win against Braintree and teams who adopt similar tactics. In all fairness to them, they are very good at what they do - management and players, and that shows our full time, better paid staff up. They must think we're a doddle to play against. All we do is the same ineffective thing over and over, which is utterly irrational and is getting us nowhere. They have very few problems snuffing out our very limited threat and hitting us on the break. They must be laughing at us for just carrying on with our sh1tty little plan that isn't working game after game.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 9
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › In possession & out of posession

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.