Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Pleased or annoyed about the early double subs?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 43 Guests

Pleased or annoyed about the early double subs?

This thread currently has 2,717 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
kingster72
November 19, 2011, 10:02pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: -7
Poor decision to sub the young lads so early, not there fault the whole team was playing poorly and they were made scapegoats for the bosses getting it wrong.  Disley was poor throughout, as was Hearn, it took a shot from Bradley Wood to spark any kind of attacking play.  Clueless tactics today, very lucky to get a point and they could have changed formation without the early sub changes.  Conor Townsend was good, Panther and Serge did ok, Elding and Eagle deserve starts on Tuesday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 21
FishOutOfWater
November 19, 2011, 10:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.13
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,590
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

Has anybody ever seen 2 subs that early in a game for tactical reasons???? I know I haven't!

I seem to remember Buckley changing things around early on in a match against Bristol Rovers a few seasons back....2-0 down early on and we went on to win

Definitely changed formation because it had all gone wrong right from the kick off but I can't remember he subbed two players though
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 11 - 21
marinette
November 19, 2011, 10:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +38 / -4
Approval: +320
Gold Stars: 3
Ambivalent about the early substitutions.

Pleased that Anthony Elding came on.  Very pleased to see Serge get a goal.  Absolutely delighted that we (players AND fans) had enough bottle to try and come back from the dead.

Annoyed at what went on before Anthony Elding came on (although no... more horrified, despairing and numb than annoyed, if it's possible to feel all those things at once).

Private Message
Reply: 12 - 21
Abdul19
November 19, 2011, 10:34pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.40
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,639
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from maxfox44
Walking outside the ground afterwards, loads of people were debating the double subs.

1) Some were pleased as it showed that S&H were prepared to make an early change.

2) Others were suggesting that S&H got their tactics and preparation wrong.

What do you think?

Has to be both. Why would anyone make an early change if they hadn't got it wrong in the first place?

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 21
aldi_01
November 19, 2011, 11:40pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
It was a reaction to the poor start but I also think it was because they knew they ha their tactics, if they have any, wrong.

We've seen it time and time again this year, wrong tactics, conceding or losing and then an over the top change or no change at all.

How Kempson gets a game is beyon me and vicar you are right, we seem to pass to space, that's alright if you have quick thinking good players who will run into said space etc and do something with the ball but we haven't so why not play the ball to feet??? Surely they can see that?

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 21
80sglory
November 20, 2011, 1:35am
Guest User
Quoted from Abdul19
Has to be both. Why would anyone make an early change if they hadn't got it wrong in the first place?

Spot on !

Reply: 15 - 21
flash1
November 20, 2011, 8:41am
rather be a codhead than a scunt
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +21 / -9
Approval: +1
Quoted from Abdul19

totally agree

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 21
cjbill
November 20, 2011, 9:54am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +215
My personal opinion on the two substitutions are that the Thanoj change was understandable but the I'Anson change was the wrong choice. i think the formation needed to be changed. They were using the extra space down the wings and it worked. townsend struggled in the first half and needed that winger there in front of him for support so we needed a change in formation and Thanoj was always going to be the player to get sacrificed but why they brought I'Anson off was beyond me. someone who can hold their own and has more pace than the rest of the centre backs that we have. i think HandS just used the youngsters as the scape goats for their formation mistake.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 21
rancido
November 20, 2011, 11:02am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,684
Gold Stars: 102
After the Port Vale result ( which IMO was a lot better than fans give the Dynamic Duo credit for ) SandH were always going to be in a difficult situation for this game. Do you stick with the same team ( apart from the enforced change for Coulson ) or do you change the set-up ? They elected to keep the same format with the resulting 2 -0 deficit early in the game. The decision to change was obvious and I totally agree with the manner it was done but I do think they should have done more homework on what tactics Newport would adopt. The point about Pearson for I'Anson is controversial but I think it was the right decision. We didn't concede any more goals and if Charlie had stayed on and we had shipped more goals then that could have completely killed his confidence for the future. He is young and will get over this substitution ( if he wants to be a pro footballer that is ) and at the end of the day we got a point that we never looked like getting for the first 60 mins. We still don't seem to know how to play against teams that have a direct approach and I also think we try to play too much football. We frequently make three passes when one would do and consequently lose momentum.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 21
flash1
November 20, 2011, 11:09am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +21 / -9
Approval: +1
I'Anson certainly didnt like their decision!storming off down the tunnel!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 21
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Pleased or annoyed about the early double subs?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.