Garth
November 18, 2011, 2:15pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
LINCOLNSHIRE ECHO

A brutally blunt Steve Prescott has revealed cash-strapped Lincoln City must slash its wage bill in half before the end of the current season.

The Imps chief executive has grave concerns over the future of the Sincil Bank outfit following relegation from the Football League in May and insists the club has no choice but to implement the severe cost cutting measures, writes Mark Williams.

After holding talks with the club's staff this week Mr Prescott remained tight lipped about who would be made redundant and when the ruthless decisions would be made, but did promise such actions would safeguard the long-term future of a club that has suffered a severe financial blow following relegation from the Football League last May.

"Significant changes have to be made and will be made," said Mr Prescott. "It's a horrible climate to be in but we have to do it if there is to be a future at Lincoln City.

"The wage bill will be halved.

"On the positive side of things, we should see the benefits of these cuts during next season. That's what we have to look towards now.

"Nobody has officially been made redundant yet because we are at the consultation period stage.

"I've spoken to the backroom staff at the club and given over my proposals.

"But of course I fully expect counter proposals from people.

"I cannot comment too much on that due to respect for the staff and so much of what's going out must remain confidential."

Another cost-cutting measure has seen the playing staff and supporters contribute cash to help towards pre-match meals for the first-team squad.

It is believed players must come up with £100 between them ahead of each away fixture and Prescott praised the players for getting involved.

"David Holdsworth (manager) sat the players down and said they had to do their bit," he said. "They have been understanding and that's good news. We're pulling together when we need to.

"We also introduced an idea last week for fans to help the club if they want to.

"The idea is they put money towards meals and stuff for the players and we've already had half a dozen enquiries which is great.

"As part of the deal those fans can then travel on the team bus away from home and then enjoy the game from the directors' box. So they're getting a good experience out of it too

Read more: http://www.lincoln.vitalfootba.....sts=16#ixzz1e4AmaAeC
Logged Offline
Private Message
cod.gtfc
November 18, 2011, 2:39pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +31 / -14
Approval: -1
What we should have done last season, no need for the amount of staff we have at the club
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 6
psgmariner
November 18, 2011, 3:02pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
It is believed players must come up with £100 between them ahead of each away fixture and Prescott praised the players for getting involved.

That is mental if true.

Odd that they have signed 3 players this week.

Private Message
Reply: 2 - 6
NorfolkImp
November 18, 2011, 4:01pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +11 / -10
Approval: -524
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from psgmariner

That is mental if true.

Odd that they have signed 3 players this week.

Tell me about it   ..... AGM in a fortnight will be depressing!  

Private Message
Reply: 3 - 6
RoboCod
November 18, 2011, 4:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.90
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from NorfolkImp

Tell me about it   ..... AGM in a fortnight will be depressing!  

Ans McCallum out on loan I hear Aryan ? When he predicted 25 goals for himself this season did you realise he meant some of them would be scored for other teams ??  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 6
NorfolkImp
November 18, 2011, 4:12pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +11 / -10
Approval: -524
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from RoboCod

Ans McCallum out on loan I hear Aryan ? When he predicted 25 goals for himself this season did you realise he meant some of them would be scored for other teams ??  

Tbh, when I saw him at Alfreton when The Imps won 3-1, he looked to be the only player on the pitch with any genuine quality .... not sure there will be any takers for his £1.3k a week wages tho, especially at this level.

Private Message
Reply: 5 - 6
RoboCod
November 18, 2011, 4:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.90
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from NorfolkImp

Tbh, when I saw him at Alfreton when The Imps won 3-1, he looked to be the only player on the pitch with any genuine quality .... not sure there will be any takers for his £1.3k a week wages tho, especially at this level.

That's the killer down here...high wages. It's like trying to land a rising hot air balloon, and all you have left to throw over the side is high earning players.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 6
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Lincoln`s strife

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.