2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 18, 2011, 1:42pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
The inquest on Dale Roberts, the R&D goalkeeper who committed suicide was held this week.

Not many of those concerned come out smelling of roses, especially the R&D management. Sad that a young lad should end that way.

[url]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2063119/Dale-Roberts-hanged-fiancees-affair-John-Terrys-brother.html[/url]

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
grimsby pete
November 18, 2011, 1:47pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.78
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,840
Gold Stars: 222
Very sad indeed.

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 19
cmackenzie4
November 18, 2011, 2:54pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.23
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from grimsby pete
Very sad indeed.

Sure is Pete,very sad.  

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 19
BIGChris
November 18, 2011, 2:58pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.96
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Very sad and in this day and age it is worse that his plea's for help werent recognised or acted upon. R.I.P
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 19
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 18, 2011, 7:00pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from BIGChris
Very sad and in this day and age it is worse that his plea's for help werent recognised or acted upon. R.I.P

Certainly they weren't heeded by Mr Edinburgh were they? If I was playing for his team and had any problems, I'd make sure I found somebody else to talk to!

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 19
Mariner Ronnie
November 18, 2011, 7:02pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
very sad story indeed, poor lad

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 19
siy2k5
November 18, 2011, 7:58pm
Bite me!
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.86
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: -2
What an absolute girl private Justin is!

Quoted from marinerian
If Newport win it b4 heir vist to BP, I will sit in The Osmond dressed as Little Bo-Peep for the match against them!  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 19
sutton mariner
November 19, 2011, 12:57am
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +52 / -6
Approval: +1,135
Gold Stars: 49

I Make Movies #UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 19
pleasegoup
November 19, 2011, 2:06am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +3 / 0
i dont see why justin edinburgh is a girl private, he wouldnt have known Dale Roberts was sucidal, all he did was bollock an employee for repeatedly not turning up to work. it might have ended tragically, but that doesnt mean he should be blamed.

im fairly certain if a town player didnt turn up to training because he was depressed their would be a thread 20pages long demanding that the player in question had the book thrown at him.

just a thought

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 19
moosey_club
November 19, 2011, 9:19am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,334
Gold Stars: 229
The saddest thing is that the newspaper obviously doesnt think his loss of life is spectacular enough and has to relate everything to "higher profile" people.
If anything the club doctor should be scrutinised to see what follow up work he did once he prescribed the anti depressants.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 19
voice of reason
November 19, 2011, 10:18am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +46 / -17
Approval: -1
Quoted from pleasegoup
i dont see why justin edinburgh is a girl private, he wouldnt have known Dale Roberts was sucidal, all he did was bollock an employee for repeatedly not turning up to work. it might have ended tragically, but that doesnt mean he should be blamed.

im fairly certain if a town player didnt turn up to training because he was depressed their would be a thread 20pages long demanding that the player in question had the book thrown at him.

just a thought

It seems you may be wrong...

Dale told him [his agent Cyrille Regis] Justin [Edinburgh, his manager] had shouted at him and said, "if you were my son I would kick you up the backside". Dale said he asked for a counsellor but did not get one.'

"I am surprised that Bright pratt like you fails to get a grasp of the queens English been as your allways pulling up anyone who fails to follow your thoughts and if they don't give you verbal pats on the back get real and grow up this is a free speech site.UTMM".(Cleefish, 2012)       
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 19
mariner91
November 19, 2011, 10:38am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,836
Gold Stars: 264
Quoted from pleasegoup

just a thought

Like VOR said, he didn't get him a counsellor when he asked for one which is really poor managament and suggests to me that he didn't give a crap about him away from the pitch. Very sad.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 19
Perkins
November 19, 2011, 10:39am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from pleasegoup

just a thought

What a bloody stupid response to a tragic situation. Every Employer, and that includes anyone in a managerial position within that organisation, has by law a duty of care over an employee. If any employee, states he feels he is in need of counciling it is the Employers duty to investigate why,and organise it for the welfare of the person concerned. In this case, Edinborough failed in his duty by the mere fact that if Dale repeatedly failed to turn up for training he, Edinborough, should have been aware there was a problem and investigated. He should be ashamed!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 19
marinerian
November 19, 2011, 12:14pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +33 / -16
Approval: +15
Edinburgh is not a nice man imo he was not a great player eithet.

The lad asked for help that is much more than most depressed people do, yet his plea was not acted upon....would you want a man to be in carge of your son as his manager?

UP THE MARINERS
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 19
ticker_1610
November 19, 2011, 12:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +32 / -6
Roberts asked for help and that itself is a very very hard thing to do. Then to be told basically to man up is extremely irresponsible and one of the worst things someone struggling with depression wants to be told! Edinburgh is a fkin disgrace for his lack of understanding and help offered to a member of his team!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 19
Super Clive
November 19, 2011, 12:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +55 / -24
Approval: +1
RIP such a sad story. the was a multiple factors contributing to his death, granted Justin is abit of a wa*ker but he's not soley responsible although I do understand he should of done things differently and I only hope he will learn from this same for other managers reading the sad story as well.

Rip
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 19
cmackenzie4
November 19, 2011, 2:12pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.23
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from moosey_club
The saddest thing is that the newspaper obviously doesnt think his loss of life is spectacular enough and has to relate everything to "higher profile" people.
If anything the club doctor should be scrutinised to see what follow up work he did once he prescribed the anti depressants.

Totally agree.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 19
Simariner
November 19, 2011, 4:29pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.46
Rep Score: +29 / -4
Approval: +505
The Terry brothers seem to be as bad as each other
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 17 - 19
pleasegoup
November 20, 2011, 10:42pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +3 / 0
rushden sent him to see their club doctor, who prescribed him anti depressants. maybe the doctor could have done more than just prescibe drugs, but that would be for a professional to decide.

in any other walk of life, if someone wasnt turning up to work because their girlfriend had cheated on them, it wouldnt be very long until they were just sacked.

Im sure he regrets how tragically it ended, but trying to make out like its edinburghs fault (or paul terrys or his exs) is pathetic.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 19
mariner91
November 20, 2011, 11:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,836
Gold Stars: 264
Quoted from pleasegoup
rushden sent him to see their club doctor, who prescribed him anti depressants. maybe the doctor could have done more than just prescibe drugs, but that would be for a professional to decide.

in any other walk of life, if someone wasnt turning up to work because their girlfriend had cheated on them, it wouldnt be very long until they were just sacked.

Im sure he regrets how tragically it ended, but trying to make out like its edinburghs fault (or paul terrys or his exs) is pathetic.

You clearly have no idea about depression.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 19
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › the sad and dark side of the game

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.