This thread currently has 1,687 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
NorthLeedsMariner
November 10, 2011, 11:13am
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +11
Ex-town player who I believe was interviewed by town or we were interested in set to take over at Pompey

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15616925.stm

<*))))))><
Logged Offline
Private Message
80sglory
November 10, 2011, 11:15am
Guest User
Said we should have got him at the time.
Reply: 1 - 10
Rodley Mariner
November 10, 2011, 11:21am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,279
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from 1600
Said we should have got him at the time.

Maybe Tommy off of The Fishy will employ you as his assistant if your recommendation that he be made Chief Executive is listened to.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 10
80sglory
November 10, 2011, 3:30pm
Guest User
Said I wasn't gonna talk about these issues but as you're taking the mickey...    

Well you can ridicule all you like, but what's been tried so far hasn't worked has it ?
Doesn't need to be that anyway, you could try a Director Of Football or someone to come in to offer a 2nd opinion, maybe on just a short term basis.
It's not like other clubs never appoint people or bring them in to help, look at Hereford.
Anyway I think you understand my point.
I was simply suggesting possible solutions that MIGHT help, but I've no idea if there are issues behind the scenes any more than you.

I suspect you're just having a dig because my view implied a business plan isn't necessarily the be all and end all ?
Don't get me wrong I would welcome a business plan myself, I'm simply saying it can't that do much to influence football fortune or predict gate receipts. (IMHO)
Reply: 3 - 10
Rodley Mariner
November 10, 2011, 3:43pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,279
Gold Stars: 185
I was just suggesting appointing Tommy Chief Exec on the basis of what he posts on here might be a bit ludicrous. Was only supposed to be a light-hearted jibe as I actually agree that a properly qualified person running the club full-time might be money well invested in the long-term.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 10
80sglory
November 10, 2011, 4:32pm
Guest User
Fair enough then.
Maybe I should have made the point that whoever it may be would need a whole range of skills (tbf we have no idea if Tommy is qualified or not  ), but my point was a huge understanding of the football issues may go a long way to help put everything in perspective.

Others may disagree but I don't see football as your normal type of "business" (even though it clearly is one).

If we employed Karen Brady to come in to streamline our business models I doubt it would make a whole lot of difference for a smaller club of our size underperforming on the pitch.
But admittedly, that's only a rough guess on a matter I don't know a great deal about.

PS My apologies for dragging your name into it Tommy, was only trying to use you as an example of someone who is seemingly well regarded by most in terms of his football knowledge...  
PPS Are you qualified ?  
Reply: 5 - 10
biggles9999
November 11, 2011, 9:19am
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +367
Quoted from 1600
Fair enough then.
Maybe I should have made the point that whoever it may be would need a whole range of skills (tbf we have no idea if Tommy is qualified or not  ), but my point was a huge understanding of the football issues may go a long way to help put everything in perspective.

At least him and Steve Wraith could raise some money for the club by having sponsored haircuts  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 10
mariner91
November 11, 2011, 9:32am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,821
Gold Stars: 264
If we employed Karen Brady I would definitely spend a lot more time hanging round BP.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 10
jamesgtfc
November 11, 2011, 10:02am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -6
Approval: +13,103
Gold Stars: 190
Look at Scott and Hurst - successful at their previous clubs and you could argue unsuccessful so far here.

Some vacant positions may be more suited than others - just because he has the Pompey job does not mean that he would have been successful here. Stability is the key to success and I am interested to see what signings we make in January and before next August.

11 players don't just  click - you may have 3 or 4 that just don't fit in - unfortunately over the last few years we've had nearer 11 of the starting 11 that don't fit in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 10
grimsby pete
November 11, 2011, 10:54am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.78
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,840
Gold Stars: 222
I am pleased thar Appleton has got a managers job,

BUT

Not sure he has gone to the right club,

His 1st job as manager might be his last if he is not successfull,

Portsmouth have no money and are more likely to sell any player thats worth a bob or two than sign any.

Good luck to him, he will need it.

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 10
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Michael Appleton

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.