This thread currently has 1,161 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
RoboCod
November 8, 2011, 9:45am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.90
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Fascinating bit on the Guardian: [url]http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/nov/07/one-per-cent-wealth-destroyers[/url]

39 senior managers and chief executives from leading British businesses psychologically tested. ..

"They compared the results to the same tests on patients at Broadmoor special hospital, where people who have been convicted of serious crimes are incarcerated. On certain indicators of psychopathy, the bosses's scores either matched or exceeded those of the patients. In fact, on these criteria, they beat even the subset of patients who had been diagnosed with psychopathic personality disorders."

Goes along with what I'ver always thought. That greed, when elevated to the level of modern day bosses wages and bakers bonuses is actually a mental disease.

Logged Offline
Private Message
upthestripes
November 8, 2011, 11:24am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +68 / -8
Approval: +7
OR, as I would call it (and call me old fashioned), 'personality'.
Is benevolence a positive disorder then?

[img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb71/levite_photo/town/2959063.jpg[/img]

Hitman Hearn - BP Gangsta
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 11
ginnywings
November 8, 2011, 11:43am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.00
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,156
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from RoboCod
Fascinating bit on the Guardian: [url]http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/nov/07/one-per-cent-wealth-destroyers[/url]

39 senior managers and chief executives from leading British businesses psychologically tested. ..

"They compared the results to the same tests on patients at Broadmoor special hospital, where people who have been convicted of serious crimes are incarcerated. On certain indicators of psychopathy, the bosses's scores either matched or exceeded those of the patients. In fact, on these criteria, they beat even the subset of patients who had been diagnosed with psychopathic personality disorders."

Goes along with what I'ver always thought. That greed, when elevated to the level of modern day bosses wages and bakers bonuses is actually a mental disease.

Insert the word "dough" into a funny one liner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 11
Super Clive
November 8, 2011, 1:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +55 / -24
Approval: +1
Lol You people
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 11
kingofthekippers
November 8, 2011, 3:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +39 / -4
Approval: +6
I don't think this research is anything new; I recall reading pretty much the same thing a few years back. It's not greed as such that is the cause. It's just that the people at the top of an organisation are there because they have no qualms about treading on people's feet to get there. They tend to be ruthless and that means having little or no scruples about how they get to the top. And that's not just in business. It is the same in politics, local government, the church, indeed in any form of operational structure.

What's the old adage - nice guys never win?

Mr McGee, don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 11
grimsby pete
November 8, 2011, 3:59pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.77
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,852
Gold Stars: 223
Quoted from kingofthekippers
I don't think this research is anything new; I recall reading pretty much the same thing a few years back. It's not greed as such that is the cause. It's just that the people at the top of an organisation are there because they have no qualms about treading on people's feet to get there. They tend to be ruthless and that means having little or no scruples about how they get to the top. And that's not just in business. It is the same in politics, local government, the church, indeed in any form of operational structure.

What's the old adage - nice guys never win?

I think that wan ker  I mean banker who said," he hopes the recession lasts or we have another soon because he can make loads of money out of it," says it all about the me me me society.

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 11
kingofthekippers
November 8, 2011, 4:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete

I think that wan ker  I mean banker who said," he hopes the recession lasts or we have another soon because he can make loads of money out of it," says it all about the me me me society.

That 'banker' is not quite everything he claimed to be.

[url]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/8792829/BBC-financial-expert-Alessio-Rastani-Im-an-attention-seeker-not-a-trader.html[/url]

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 11
grimsby pete
November 8, 2011, 4:17pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.77
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,852
Gold Stars: 223
Quoted from kingofthekippers

That 'banker' is not quite everything he claimed to be.

[url]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/8792829/BBC-financial-expert-Alessio-Rastani-Im-an-attention-seeker-not-a-trader.html[/url]

BUT

He meant every word.

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 11
kingofthekippers
November 8, 2011, 4:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Yeah, just a shame he's so successful as a trader he lives in his girlfriend's house and his business is overdrawn.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 11
RoboCod
November 8, 2011, 5:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.90
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from ginnywings

Insert the word "dough" into a funny one liner.

Heh. My secret underlying hatred of bakers revealed.

Interesting theory though, someone with a certain mental disorder could theoretically become violent, even murderous if from a poor backdrop, but the same disorder could make you into an almost equally destructive 'businessman' from a more affluent background.
Greed, if not a disease is almost certainly a very severe obsession/compulsion disorder. When you already have millions sat in the bank, what else is there to barter for in a new contract than bragging rights about your bank account at the golf club.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 11
upthestripes
November 8, 2011, 6:54pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +68 / -8
Approval: +7
Quoted from RoboCod

Heh. My secret underlying hatred of bakers revealed.

Mr. Kipling for TOTW!

[img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb71/levite_photo/town/2959063.jpg[/img]

Hitman Hearn - BP Gangsta
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 11
mariner marc
November 11, 2011, 11:31am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Quoted from RoboCod

decent post Robo
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 11
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Greed: a psychological disorder

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.