This thread currently has 4,154 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
hook line and sinker
October 28, 2011, 4:29pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +37
been mentioned on here i think a couple of months ago but heard a rumour today that their is a possibility of a new ground on a site in the macauley street area being funded by the council with a ice rink/leisure centre to be situated next door resulting in GY leisure centre being knocked down. How things are at the club currently i cant see it happening unless their is something in the pipeline for a takeover?

anyway just something i heard today if their is any truth in it i dont no...................
Logged Offline
Private Message
upthestripes
October 28, 2011, 4:48pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +68 / -8
Approval: +7
News about the stadium used to excite me, but now I just shrug it off cos it's just not going to happen.
The chances were bleak before but now, as you say, given current circumstances there really is snowball's.
I like BP anyway!

[img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb71/levite_photo/town/2959063.jpg[/img]

Hitman Hearn - BP Gangsta
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 31
supertown
October 28, 2011, 5:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,480
Gold Stars: 53
I heard a story that a site behind Pennells was discussed at a council meeting a couple of months ago
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 31
Wrawby_Mariner
October 28, 2011, 6:03pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +50 / -13
Approval: +862
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from supertown
I heard a story that a site behind Pennells was discussed at a council meeting a couple of months ago

Is it not agricultural land behind the Garden Centre??
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 3 - 31
brad_gtfc
October 28, 2011, 6:33pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +16 / -3
Approval: +269
Heard the same thing, wether theres any truth in it only time will tell.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 31
supertown
October 28, 2011, 7:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,480
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from Wrawby_Mariner

Is it not agricultural land behind the Garden Centre??

dunno, think it is nearer the YMCA and parkway actually
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 31
Borbs
October 28, 2011, 7:09pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Surely minutes of Council Planning Committee meetings will be open source so you should be able to put this to bed. A tall order if you ask me in the current financial crisis with the Public Sector having no money thanks to Messrs Blair, Brown et al!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 31
lawless29
October 28, 2011, 7:19pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +13 / -2
Approval: +11
Quoted from supertown

dunno, think it is nearer the YMCA and parkway actually

Were the old training ground was cant see it myself

https://www.facebook.com/GrimsbyCleethorpesHistory
[url=http://postimage.org/][img]http://s7.postimage.org/6lz8j8h4r/403320_362485870431139_1145829449_n.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://postimage.org/]photo upload[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 31
gaz57
October 28, 2011, 10:18pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +993
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Borbs
Surely minutes of Council Planning Committee meetings will be open source so you should be able to put this to bed. A tall order if you ask me in the current financial crisis with the Public Sector having no money thanks to Messrs Blair, Brown et al!

I think BANKERS are the names your looking for.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 31
Steve_gtfc
October 28, 2011, 10:28pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +7 / -2
been mentioned on here i think a couple of months ago but heard a rumour today that their is a possibility of a new ground on a site in the macauley street area being funded by the council with a ice rink/leisure centre to be situated next door resulting in GY leisure centre being knocked down. How things are at the club currently i cant see it happening unless their is something in the pipeline for a takeover?

anyway just something i heard today if their is any truth in it i dont no...................

The same council that are trying to charge us for waste collection to help them save 100 odd million over the next 4 years?

Follow on Twitter: sclaybourn87
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 31
marinerian
October 28, 2011, 11:20pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +33 / -16
Approval: +15
Wtf didn"t they build a better stadium Bradley it would have been ideal as more money would have come from grants with Nunny been next door.

Mybe the old little chef at Laceby? This is next to a dusl carrage way and A46 and 2 routes to the A180.The land would have to flattened...but less people to urine off lol

UP THE MARINERS
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 31
petethemariner
October 28, 2011, 11:52pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
Sorry ,because i never post in bold type, but on this thread i'm going to:
IF IT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN, IT WOULD HAVE DONE SO 10 OR MORE YEARS AGO, lets all,including me, stop dreaming, i had a letter printed in the GY Telegraph in 1994 saying progress on a new stadium is needed, not one brick has been laid  since then and BP is in a state of disrepair.
Tart up  BP , with  FA grants if available , to  the best of our ability and  lets try to get a team first ( if we  actually exist beyond the new year).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 31
louth_in_the_south
October 29, 2011, 8:23am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,719
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from petethemariner
Sorry ,because i never post in bold type, but on this thread i'm going to:
IF IT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN, IT WOULD HAVE DONE SO 10 OR MORE YEARS AGO, lets all,including me, stop dreaming, i had a letter printed in the GY Telegraph in 1994 saying progress on a new stadium is needed, not one brick has been laid  since then and BP is in a state of disrepair.
Tart up  BP , with  FA grants if available , to  the best of our ability and  lets try to get a team first ( if we  actually exist beyond the new year).

I used to want a new ground but now realise with the joke gy council that's never going to happen even if it could be independently funded . The best thing gtfc could do would be knock down the main stand and ponny and put up a couple of cheaply built terraces which don't take up any more space than the existing stands

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 31
petethemariner
October 29, 2011, 9:17am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
Quoted from louth_in_the_south

I used to want a new ground but now realise with the joke gy council that's never going to happen even if it could be independently funded . The best thing gtfc could do would be knock down the main stand and ponny and put up a couple of cheaply built terraces which don't take up any more space than the existing stands

Agree, but for me it would be the Main Stand and Osmond i would rebuild - extend the Ponny at the same height  into the corners and we  then would have a tidy ground, not the ramshackle mess we have at the moment..

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 31
Perkins
October 29, 2011, 12:05pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
More likely if there is to be a new ground, it will be part of the Docks regeneration plan.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 31
marinerjase
October 29, 2011, 5:58pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,695
Gold Stars: 155
It's no secret things are still happening with regards to a new ground, 4 or 5 sites have been looked at. All down to staying in business and getting funding.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 31
Yoda
October 30, 2011, 8:11am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,189
Gold Stars: 72
The new ground must be built on the docks and regenerate that area.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 31
My cats dreams
October 30, 2011, 9:30am

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Quoted from Yoda
The new ground must be built on the docks and regenerate that area.

Abp are unwilling to help i doubt it will happen. I mean i do a couple of nights ratting down there but they wont pay

Dogs are smelly creatures full of there own importance
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 31
My cats dreams
October 30, 2011, 9:30am

Shandy Drinker
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Great coates still the better option,shame about the rats of residents

Dogs are smelly creatures full of there own importance
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 31
cleeimp
October 30, 2011, 10:31am

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Quoted from marinerian
Wtf didn't they build a better stadium Bradley it would have been ideal as more money would have come from grants with Nunny been next door.

Maybe the old little chef at Laceby? This is next to a dual carriageway and A46 and 2 routes to the A180.The land would have to flattened...but less people to urine off lol

I belive that last time they looked at Bradley  they were offered land next to Dickson's wood by the  same estates who own great coats but declined  the other because of the transport link for the away fans.
At the same time Fenty mentioned about town using the Bradley training facilities but every thing went quiet same as normal.

cleefish
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 31
springstomind
October 30, 2011, 10:38am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +322
i love Blundel park so many memories. Do we really need a new stadium ..my mate is a massive Walsall fan and says there stadium is only the same as our and average attendance is similar..... sure we don't fill our stadium at our current level, but does anyone know why it needs to chage? would we br going smaller or bigger or what ? what are the pr's and con's to changing stadium?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 31
rancido
October 30, 2011, 10:50am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,665
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from springstomind
i love Blundel park so many memories. Do we really need a new stadium ..my mate is a massive Walsall fan and says there stadium is only the same as our and average attendance is similar..... sure we don't fill our stadium at our current level, but does anyone know why it needs to chage? would we br going smaller or bigger or what ? what are the pr's and con's to changing stadium?

We would find it highly unlikely that the Council would grant planning permission to develop BP. The Main Stand needs pulling down and re-building but any increase in height would be immediately rejected because of the impact on the adjacent residents. The same goes for the Osmond Stand. The Council themselves have encouraged Town to move grounds so it is highly improbable that they would endorse any development of the ground.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 31
Garth
October 30, 2011, 11:20am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from rancido

We would find it highly unlikely that the Council would grant planning permission to develop BP. The Main Stand needs pulling down and re-building but any increase in height would be immediately rejected because of the impact on the adjacent residents. The same goes for the Osmond Stand. The Council themselves have encouraged Town to move grounds so it is highly improbable that they would endorse any development of the ground.

Its about time they helped a little then
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 31
rancido
October 30, 2011, 11:31am

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Garth

Its about time they helped a little then

This has been mentioned numerous times on this site about how the Council says one thing about the ground but does another. We must be one of the very few football clubs in the country who appear to get very little tangible support or help from our Council . The annoying thing is that over the years different political parties have ruled the Council but the overall short-sighted strategies have always appeared.

"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 31
gtfc98
October 30, 2011, 11:43am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.73
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,061
Gold Stars: 68
don't we need a club to have a new ground? Come this time next year there's a real chance we won't have a club to play anywhere....

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 31
Garth
October 30, 2011, 11:48am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from gtfc98
don't we need a club to have a new ground? Come this time next year there's a real chance we won't have a club to play anywhere....

Behave yourself  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 31
rancido
October 30, 2011, 11:57am

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from gtfc98

It's a good job we didn't adopt that attitude in 1939 when we faced the might of the German Whermacht and Luftwaffe ! We have to be positive and keep all options open.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 31
marinerian
October 31, 2011, 8:50am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +33 / -16
Approval: +15
As said rebuilding BP would cost more than building a new ground with no added extra revenues which are needed by any club

UP THE MARINERS
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 31
scrumble
October 31, 2011, 9:34am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +986
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from rancido

This is something I don't understand. GTFC are told they can't increase the height of the stand because of the impact on local residents,  but FA Woulds got away with The Point and what used to be The Lifeboat.

Byddwn ond yn canu pan fyddwn yn pysgota
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 31
SomeoneElse
October 31, 2011, 3:12pm
Coke Drinker

The new leisure centre will likely be on the site of the current one

the docks option is still possible...depending on funding i would imagine

The point etc are not in the middle of housing developments like BP which is why "FA would got away with it"

Bradley was funded, almost in full, by the FA who provided the maximum grant that they offer...and even increased this to provide a greater standard of synthetic pitch...they would not have paid for a new ground for GTFC!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 31
hertfordshire mariner
October 31, 2011, 8:14pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +34
Quoted from scrumble

This is something I don't understand. GTFC are told they can't increase the height of the stand because of the impact on local residents,  but FA Woulds got away with The Point and what used to be The Lifeboat.

i think one of the main reasons is because increasing the height would cast the houses directly behind the stands in permanent shadow

"Form a string quartet, and pretend your name is Keith"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 31
VictorMeldrewsDad
October 31, 2011, 9:02pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +11 / 0

i think one of the main reasons is because increasing the height would cast the houses directly behind the stands in permanent shadow

A bit like Scunthorpe then...forever in our shadow

I will never forget where I was the day Kennedy was stabbed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 31
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › new ground site

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.