Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Sam Allardyce On Talksport!!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 126 Guests

Sam Allardyce On Talksport!!

This thread currently has 2,831 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Mighty_Mariner
October 26, 2011, 9:48am
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,245
Gold Stars: 10
Excellent interview by Big Sam this morning on challenges that new managers face and how fans and owners want
Instant success... I won't bore you with endless quotes but here are a couple if snippets which I think we can take in to begin to understand what our 2 are going through!

"When you bring in a team if new players you are literally going into training every day and learning about your players strengths and weaknesses, asthey are about yours"

"It is an extremely difficult job to get a team of new players to gel and play as a unit in the first year let alone the first 3-4 months which everyone expects"

"To build a successful team does NOT happen overnight and takes a lot of hard work over a period of a couple of years, mistakes will be made but it what you take from them mistakes and how you rectify them that matters, and above all the mist important thing and possibly the hardest is.... Patience"

Wise words IMO!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
grimsby pete
October 26, 2011, 10:03am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.78
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,842
Gold Stars: 222
Wise words indeed,

Everybody wants instant success,

BUT

A little instant success would be nice,

Little instant success =  3rd round of the cup.

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 18
aldi_01
October 26, 2011, 10:10am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
He is dealing with good players though and whilst I'm not a fan of big Sam he does have a proven track record at the highest level...we have two men/idiots who don't.

When you are paying a guy thousands a week one would assume they'd fit in quicker too...

I know it's all relative but it actually makes it easier of the manager knows what he is doing and that's where gtfc encounter a problem

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 18
maxfox44
October 26, 2011, 10:20am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +139
I too thought it was a good interview and I'm no really a fan of his.  I guess it comes down to taking a view that you have the right man or men for the job in the first place.

I remember being pelted with ice by the Norwich fans during the Milk Cup match, do you?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 18
BIGChris
October 26, 2011, 10:45am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.96
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from maxfox44
I too thought it was a good interview and I'm no really a fan of his.  I guess it comes down to taking a view that you have the right man or men for the job in the first place.

i'd assume that every manager appointed in considered the 'right man for the job' at the time.

You only really know whether you have made the right choice after two full seasons IMO but we never seem to get that far and IMHO that is a significant reason why we find ourselves were we are. Perhaps is isnt always the appointments that are wrong, but the sackings?

Having said that if say, Buckley had still been here and we had been steady in mid table in League 2 the majority would have been claiming it wasnt good enough and change was needed. Would they be right?
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 18
pontoonlew
October 26, 2011, 10:48am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 181
Quoted from aldi_01
He is dealing with good players though and whilst I'm not a fan of big Sam he does have a proven track record at the highest level...we have two men/idiots who don't.

When you are paying a guy thousands a week one would assume they'd fit in quicker too...

I know it's all relative but it actually makes it easier of the manager knows what he is doing and that's where gtfc encounter a problem

But they do have an excellent track record at our kind of level, they haven't just become excrement managers. They just need time to adapt to the different requirements of our league and our expectations. Anybody with some talent can improve when given time to learn.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 18
Mighty_Mariner
October 26, 2011, 11:11am
Pontoonite
Quoted from pontoonlew

But they do have an excellent track record at our kind of level, they haven't just become excrement managers. They just need time to adapt to the different requirements of our league and our expectations. Anybody with some talent can improve when given time to learn.

Exactly.... I could understand people's scepticism if they just had some success at Boston because it could be put down to luck I guess, but thru did the exact same thing at Ilkeston and got the promoted... So they go have an excellent track record of building successful teams, albeit at a lower level... IMO they just need TIME to adapt to this level and expectation!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 18
Mighty_Mariner
October 26, 2011, 11:12am
Pontoonite
Quoted from grimsby pete
Wise words indeed,

Everybody wants instant success,

BUT

A little instant success would be nice,

Little instant success =  3rd round of the cup. F.A Trophy

Lol

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 18
moosey_club
October 26, 2011, 11:13am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,339
Gold Stars: 229
Quoted from BIGChris

i'd assume that every manager appointed in considered the 'right man for the job' at the time.

You only really know whether you have made the right choice after two full seasons IMO but we never seem to get that far and IMHO that is a significant reason why we find ourselves were we are. Perhaps is isnt always the appointments that are wrong, but the sackings?

Having said that if say, Buckley had still been here and we had been steady in mid table in League 2 the majority would have been claiming it wasnt good enough and change was needed. Would they be right?

Based on Jamie Clark, Hope, Llewellyn, Heywood and plenty more who have sunk into oblivion from his last stint i doubt that very much. Buckley was completely outdated, out of touch with the game during his last spell IMHO.
The rest however in total agreement.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 18
maxfox44
October 26, 2011, 11:34am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +139
Or you could argue that with terrible players he managed to stay in the league.  Not that I was a Buckley fan mark III.  (but I was MkI and MkII)

I remember being pelted with ice by the Norwich fans during the Milk Cup match, do you?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 18
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Sam Allardyce On Talksport!!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.