FishOutOfWater
October 24, 2011, 1:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,590
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from grimsby pete
Even if we play our strongest team ( whatever that is ) it will be a hard game to win.

No need to make it any harder.

Maybe I'm deluding myself but is it really going to be so difficult??

I know there's always a potential banana skin waiting for any team facing another one a few divisions below them in a knock out game, but I'm confident that we will see off Ashington and don't see why so many are so concerned about this Saturday

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 20 - 45
TAGG
October 24, 2011, 2:17pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,941
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Cheers Mr OutOfWater

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 45
oldun
October 24, 2011, 3:51pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
For god sake, don't even think about losing the game. The worrying thing is that the players might worry about losing the game because the fans are worrying about losing the game. It is the losing mindset which must change. So Town will win the game so if you are going take that thought and message with you and spread the word.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 45
Les Brechin
October 24, 2011, 9:55pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,730
Gold Stars: 174
all i want to see is Mckeown dopped he is out of his depth at the moment give kenny a go, Hearn should play as a loan striker

Arhtur
Silk   Garner   I'Anson   Green (if fit) Wood

Church
           Disley Artus
Coulson                 Eagles    
               Hearn

We all know the defence is the the weak link, stick church just in front of them and let him tackle what ever gets hrough

No need to, we've actually signed him.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 45
tashee69
October 25, 2011, 12:58am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +28 / -4
Approval: +972
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Maybe I'm deluding myself but is it really going to be so difficult??

I know there's always a potential banana skin waiting for any team facing another one a few divisions below them in a knock out game, but I'm confident that we will see off Ashington and don't see why so many are so concerned about this Saturday

Middlesbro 1 Town 2
Town 0 Bath 2
Liverpool 1 Town 2
Everton 0 Town 1
Just four Town results, that I can remember quickley, where the away team has pulled off a shock. Although there may be a bigger gap in divisions, is there in ability (although Town had an excellant team at Everton, they had a lot of internationals)

Baldrick ! The only impression you can do is that of a man with no talent !!
GTFC team 09/10 - Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 45
AndyGTFC
October 25, 2011, 2:48pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +808
Gold Stars: 5
We should definitely play a strong team because the players need to try and get a bit of confidence back and we'll need to be at the races because I doubt it will be an easy game.

A couple of players that haven't had much playing time should start though. I'm thinking particularly about Spencer here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 45
grimsby pete
October 25, 2011, 2:52pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.78
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,842
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from oldun
For god sake, don't even think about losing the game. The worrying thing is that the players might worry about losing the game because the fans are worrying about losing the game. It is the losing mindset which must change. So Town will win the game so if you are going take that thought and message with you and spread the word.

I have been saying we will win every game for years,

That ploy has not worked very often. as it ?

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 45
RoboCod
October 25, 2011, 3:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.90
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
If we set about the task the right way then we'll be fine. Cup shocks are generally caused by an underestimation of the opposition, along with a fired-up 'minnow' team. I think we can expect the latter but the former can't be allowed to even begin to happen. Take the game to them, get the ball to Hearn as quickly and as often as possible, and have some extra legs on the bench for the final 15 minutes, when they WILL be flagging.
That's my approach and I'm confident, come Saturday night, we'll have won and the board will be full of comments like "Well we SHOULD have bloody well won, I bet we lose at Bath!!" etc...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 45
Stew0_0
October 25, 2011, 3:27pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,198
Gold Stars: 35
                        McKeown

Marshall     I'Anson      Pearson       Wood

Bradbury    Disley      Church(c)     Coulsen

Spencer        Hearn

Think Pearson deserves a run in the team now, Kempson for me isn't a footballer. He's been poor in the air and clueless with the ball at his feet and I think Shaun is a more intelligent player and a threat going forward for corners and set-pieces.  Bring Marshall in at right back to add pace and energy.  Makofo and Eagle have both been awful in recent weeks so drag Coulsen over to the left and use this match to see if Jack Bradbury can cut it on the right.  I think Spencer, needs the game time and see if he can build up a partnership with hearn before the next match.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 45
oldun
October 25, 2011, 5:53pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
I like the idea of giving Spencer a run out
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 45
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › team against ashington

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.