Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Eighteen months to two years.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 206 Guests

Eighteen months to two years.

This thread currently has 762 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
ROKERITE
October 20, 2011, 8:03pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +425
Gold Stars: 5
That's how long Dean Saunders believes it took him to get his Wrexham side in the sort of shape he wanted (as quoted by Paul Cox from a conversation the two had after a behind closed doors friendly between Doncaster and Mansfield yesterday). Ofcourse, no sooner had he done it than he upped sticks and offed to Donny, but there's food for thought in Saunders' comments, if you're prepared to think.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Abdul19
October 20, 2011, 8:14pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,576
Gold Stars: 218
Slightly off topic (although he's been in charge just over 2 years), but Steve Bruce can't have too long left?

Never understood why he was so highly rated myself.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 7
Steve_gtfc
October 20, 2011, 8:21pm

Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Quoted from Abdul19
Slightly off topic (although he's been in charge just over 2 years), but Steve Bruce can't have too long left?

Him and Keane before him have spent a heck of a lot up there and got them no where for it.

Follow on Twitter: sclaybourn87
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 7
ROKERITE
October 20, 2011, 8:28pm
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +425
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Abdul19

Lose on Saturday at Bolton and he's surely gone within 48 hours. He should have been fired in May.
I share your puzzlement as to why he is/was so highly rated. He's a mediocre manager whose only achievements in thirteen years of management are two scraped promotions, the second of which was only necessary because he got his team relegated after the first. Ofcourse, he's a bit of a media luvvy; you'll never hear a word against Brucey from Keys & Gray, etc..
I believe in giving managers  a reasonable time (18 months to 2 years), particularly if they've proved themselves successful elsewhere. That's why I'm supportive of H&S, Paul Cox and others. When you've had three close-seasons and have a long track-record with very little on it, like Mr Bruce, then more time with the family and improving your golf surely awaits you!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 7
Abdul19
October 20, 2011, 8:40pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,576
Gold Stars: 218
The daft thing is, when you sack him (and pay him off a considerable sum) he'll be back in work at a decent club in a matter of months!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 7
80sglory
October 20, 2011, 9:01pm
Guest User
Saunders is bound to say that when Donny(who have been together for a while?) are fighting a relegation battle.
To be fair, Derby signed 9 new players into their team this season - look at where they are !
You don't hear fans complaining about needing more time when their teams are flying.

Really, I think you should be telling the boardroom to start thinking, not the fans.
Who was saying we needed time before the season started ? Everyone (including the board) was thinking promotion ?
You can't have it both ways - either you're going for promotion or you're building for the future.

If it was the latter then we should have had a policy of bedding in younger players and a smaller playing budget to match.

If you think it's asking a lot for a team of new players to instantly gel(which is my general view), then maybe we shouldn't be thowing so much money at unproven managers in an instant promotion bid (not that I think it's all over yet)
That's what we did under Woods too.
Reply: 5 - 7
Borbs
October 20, 2011, 9:48pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Exactly well said the expectation by Fenty and all is we are a big club in this league so have a right to get promoted. That expectation manifests itself in player lack of confidence because they know, when they have made mistakes in games heads go down. I don't think shorty and shouty have settled on a recognised team they get a good performance one week and shite the next. The confidence issue has hit earlier this than last season the cup defeats started the rot and players then went hiding in games, main culprit Atkinson IMHO.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 7
acko338
October 20, 2011, 9:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,230
Gold Stars: 33
Constant changes to the back four through injuries and poor performances isn't helping either - we need players to either stay fit or come good in a steady side - neither looks possible at the moment as they all go missing at corners and set pieces.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 7
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Eighteen months to two years.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.