2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
forza ivano
October 20, 2011, 11:32am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,267
Gold Stars: 266
just refelecting on those  2 performances and in many ways ebbsfleet was worse. ok we had an abysmal 2ndhalf against Braintree, but it would be fair to say that we dominated much of the first half and we were unlucky not to be a couple of goals up before they scored. ebbsfleet on the other hand was pretty dire from start to finish, apart from a 15 minute period in the 2nd half.the fact that we don't appear to have learnt any lessons 15 games into the season makes it all the worse.
the other thought is that i think we may have hit another all time low. the result against another bunch of part time non league stalwarts was not as bad , but the way it has been accepted this time around by supporters just shows how low we continue to fall. only 200 bothered to go and even then the vast majority had left before the end. we don't even bother booing anymore  - we now accept losing poorly to part timers is par for the course.
and scott n hurst wonder why we're all so negative.....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Dan
October 20, 2011, 11:38am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +36 / -17
Approval: +551
It's the first game I've ever left early. Enough is enough. It's over. Let's all find something else to do.

Quoted from John Fenty, April 2013
I deconstructed the flag to the point where it was safe and couldn’t be considered a danger
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 14
cmackenzie4
October 20, 2011, 11:44am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.25
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from Dan
It's the first game I've ever left early. Enough is enough. It's over. Let's all find something else to do.

I am work for 90% of games Dan,i am a shift worker and to be honest Dan this season i am glad to be at work mate.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 14
oldludensian
October 20, 2011, 12:43pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +8 / -8
Approval: +57
I went to the Ebbsfleet game and yes we lost but I thought it really wasn't as bad as people are making out. I'm not sure how useful that analysis is as I've only seen about 2 town games in two years so you can either say I don't know what I'm talking about or I've brought fresh eyes to the party.

In parts we had a bit of possession, including for sometime before they scored the third. There were numerous times we were in the the last third but didn't make it count. Yes some crosses weren't great and neither were some corners BUT some corners did beat the first man, there were opportunities which we could've done better. Elding actually looked okay (I thought) as did Hearn. Artus although not looking like a great player, had a few shots and also had the opportunity to put either Hearn or Elding in (was down the other end in the first half and I couldn't quite see it). We had a few crosses/dangerous balls in the area in the second half. I really do think that game could easily have ended up a draw or a win for us.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is if we only had a little bit of quality on the ball it could all have been so different.

I've seen some stinking performance over the years from Town and okay we weren't in the Conference then, but this really wasn't up there with them. I think that maybe morale is so low with everyone connected to this club (fans, players, managment - even JT on the Radio)), we're just too quick to criticise and jump on the "town-are-complete-sh1te-and-we'll-never-get-out-of-this-league bandwagon (which incidentally I completely understand the reason for) for people to be 100% objective.

No I didn't come away from the game happy, fulfilled, expectant of the future but likewise it wasn't the worst performance ever seen and the world is not going to end tomorrow.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 14
forza ivano
October 20, 2011, 1:01pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,267
Gold Stars: 266
the trouble is old ludensian is that our team of well paid pros lost to part time ebbsfleet with scarcely a whimper.
10 years ago we had stinking performances against leicester or man city, 7 years ago we had stinking performances against huddersfield or sheff MASSIVE wendy, 3 years ago we had stinking performances against wycombe or gillingham or rotherham, now we are having stinkers against bath city and braintree.
now hurst is saying that we are looking over our shoulders as we are in danger of getting involved in a relegation scrap to BSP Feckin north ffs!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 14
FishOutOfWater
October 20, 2011, 2:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,575
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from forza ivano
just refelecting on those  2 performances and in many ways ebbsfleet was worse. ok we had an abysmal 2ndhalf against Braintree, but it would be fair to say that we dominated much of the first half and we were unlucky not to be a couple of goals up before they scored. ebbsfleet on the other hand was pretty dire from start to finish, apart from a 15 minute period in the 2nd half.the fact that we don't appear to have learnt any lessons 15 games into the season makes it all the worse.
the other thought is that i think we may have hit another all time low. the result against another bunch of part time non league stalwarts was not as bad , but the way it has been accepted this time around by supporters just shows how low we continue to fall. only 200 bothered to go and even then the vast majority had left before the end. we don't even bother booing anymore  - we now accept losing poorly to part timers is par for the course.
and scott n hurst wonder why we're all so negative.....

I know some of the 200 were exiles (which shows the pull we still have from people who have moved on from Grimsby the town but not Grimsby Town) but I would have thought that with travelling the best part of 200 miles down country on a weekday, so effectively writing off two full days if you went from N E Lincs, 200 is a pretty good showing not only at this level but also for Leagues 1 & 2
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 5 - 14
lowerfindus
October 20, 2011, 2:10pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +202
Gold Stars: 2
If we cant get out the league via the top of the table theres only one other route.

BSN here we come! Gainsborough, Halifax, Vauxhall Motors......step right this way 3points for the taking.

Never drink in a pub with a flat roof.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 14
coddy60
October 20, 2011, 2:48pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +656
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

I know some of the 200 were exiles (which shows the pull we still have from people who have moved on from Grimsby the town but not Grimsby Town) but I would have thought that with travelling the best part of 200 miles down country on a weekday, so effectively writing off two full days if you went from N E Lincs, 200 is a pretty good showing not only at this level but also for Leagues 1 & 2

2 days, what are you travelling by, horse and cart?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 14
roundballovalhole
October 20, 2011, 3:02pm
Guest User
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

We would usually get 4-500 for an away game within spitting distance of the smoke so no. . . it is a p1ss poor showing (I didn't go and I could easily have done) why? because after 30years of suppooirting town up and down the country I have pretty much given up!  Heartbreaking as it is to say, Town just ain't worth supporting anymore!
Reply: 8 - 14
grimsby pete
October 20, 2011, 4:31pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,827
Gold Stars: 222
I went to both Braintree and Ebbsfleet,

The were two things that prevented us winning boths games quite comfortably,

1.  We can not shoot straight.

2. We can not defend,

Sort them two problems out and we will be laughing.

Inbetween I did see us beat H + Y 3-0   SO IT CAN BE DONE.  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 14
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › on reflection - braintree / ebbsfleet

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.