2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
TAGG
October 19, 2011, 12:53pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,939
Gold Stars: 126
Dave Booth on Talk Sport talking about how it is being a manager in Cambodia, it sounds very bazaar. They only have one stadium so they play all league games there. Four games in a day one after the other.
Great defender.  Should have stayed as Town manager, big mistake walking away.  

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
BlackBoots
October 19, 2011, 12:59pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Yes and then Andy Gray says he played against Dave Booth's Grimsby and Richard Keys says that was one of the games that brought about Evertons reserection!!!

WTF
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 10
RoboCod
October 19, 2011, 1:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
It was a mistake. And one that he regretted badly, if I remember later reports correctly. No shocks or melodramatics when Booth, the Assistant, was promoted to the Boss's job after Kerr left. Just a happy continuation of great football and giving it to the big boys. It all seemed so simple back then..

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 10
TownSNAFU5
October 19, 2011, 2:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,894
Gold Stars: 42
Dave was a great servant for the Club.  How we could do with his solid defensive skills now.

It was easy then.  Barca make the game look easy now. It is Town who make it look so difficult.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 10
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 19, 2011, 3:01pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
David left at just the right time (for him). The club would not have bankrolled a promotion push so the only way was down. Good professional decision to go, even if he personally regretted it later.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 10
RoboCod
October 19, 2011, 3:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
David left at just the right time (for him). The club would not have bankrolled a promotion push so the only way was down. Good professional decision to go, even if he personally regretted it later.

I remember it a little differently RRFC. I seem to recall he left for the States for a business venture, ( possibly with his brother in law or something). He pondered over it and went for it, but I'm sure I read a few years later he'd regretted it. Whether the business didn't pan out or he just missed the football I'm not sure.
Either way, it ultimately lead to the lows (Mick Lyons) and the highs (Buckley) and is all now part of this clubs once-rich history.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 10
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 19, 2011, 3:29pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from RoboCod

I remember it a little differently RRFC. I seem to recall he left for the States for a business venture, ( possibly with his brother in law or something). He pondered over it and went for it, but I'm sure I read a few years later he'd regretted it. Whether the business didn't pan out or he just missed the football I'm not sure.
Either way, it ultimately lead to the lows (Mick Lyons) and the highs (Buckley) and is all now part of this clubs once-rich history.

It was a property development business, I think in the Canaries. The key factors were the departure of Chris Nicholl to Southampton and the boardroom shenanigans. Nicholl was more important to the club than people realised and when he went it left a big hole in the management side. In fact the side that Dave had helped to build from Div 4 was coming to the break up stage as well. He certainly regretted leaving football but unfortunately he couldn't make a go of it at Darlo so he's been wandering the world ever since.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 10
RoboCod
October 19, 2011, 3:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker

It was a property development business, I think in the Canaries. The key factors were the departure of Chris Nicholl to Southampton and the boardroom shenanigans. Nicholl was more important to the club than people realised and when he went it left a big hole in the management side. In fact the side that Dave had helped to build from Div 4 was coming to the break up stage as well. He certainly regretted leaving football but unfortunately he couldn't make a go of it at Darlo so he's been wandering the world ever since.

Aah right. I still remember the thrill at getting Nicholl here. He'd played in the World Cup in '82, and was joining little old Grimsby. What an era  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 10
Limerick Mariner
October 19, 2011, 5:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,720
Gold Stars: 137

I think you are right on this. The club had failed to capitalise on the momentum from the double promotion and cup heroics followed by reasonable challenge in the first season in Div 2 (up to the West Ham game) by investing in the team and stadium. Board room disharmony (plus ca change!) meant additional investment could not be brought into the club and gates had fallen dramatically - it was also the height of the hooliganism epidemic so the game as a whole was suffering. We had that stupid decision to put away fans in the Pontoon in that period.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 10
Marinerz93
October 19, 2011, 6:45pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1

Drinks tribunal and the board constantly changing Drinks value played part too.  There are more than a few factors and I believe Booth saw what was coming when he saw how the board at the time were acting and where he saw things going.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 10
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Dave Booth

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.