moosey_club
September 27, 2011, 10:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,318
Gold Stars: 229
from the Countryman.....

well done. Got at least the point you deserved for a determined performance, sprinkled with some neat football, bossing midfield and picked up most of the second balls throughout.

Punished for two defensive errors, Pearson for hesitating and Mckeown for his angles.

Main observations for us to improve on;

following up and anticipation in the six yard box,  at least three times there were opportunities but nobody there.
Free kicks , woeful free kicks throughout the game from excellent positions 20 - 30 yds out, seemed to be no set plays or defined taker

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
80sglory
September 27, 2011, 10:50pm
Guest User
Good observations esecially the first one !

It's a bit disappointing when Scott keeps paying lip service to these set-pieces.

I feel we're putting too many aimless balls into the box without picking a player out.
Reply: 1 - 6
September 27, 2011, 11:03pm
Guest User
We're clearly too slow at the back. Why not try defending lower down the pitch? Maybe hold a line 30-35 yards out? If we hold a high line, we are suceptible to average players (like him that scored tonight) just bursting through with pure pace.
Reply: 2 - 6
Maringer
September 27, 2011, 11:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,680
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from 1600

I feel we're putting too many aimless balls into the box without picking a player out.

It is very rare that a set piece actually picks a player out, unless you are talking about a ball going near-post for a flick-on or back post to knock it across the goal. Generally, what you need to do is whip it in to a dangerous area and make sure your players are attacking that space.

Unfortunately, we tend to just chip or loft the ball into the box which makes it much easier for the defenders to attack it and head clear.

It seems a very long time since we actually were any good at scoring from corners. Back in the days of Lumpaldinho and the beanpole, I suppose.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 6
STB
September 27, 2011, 11:41pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.70
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Quoted from Maringer

It seems a very long time since we actually were any good at scoring from corners. Back in the days of Lumpaldinho and the beanpole, I suppose.

Ah, the Jones brothers  

Former lover of all things GTFC . . .
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 6
petethemariner
September 28, 2011, 12:06am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
Quoted from 75
We're clearly too slow at the back. Why not try defending lower down the pitch? Maybe hold a line 30-35 yards out? If we hold a high line, we are suceptible to average players (like him that scored tonight) just bursting through with pure pace.

I know  what you mean Vicar and there is some sense in that, the only problem being that any team switched on enough to realise this will exploit  the maybe 10 yards  of free space in front of our back four, the only way we can counter this is to drop our  midfield back  to cover and then our forwards become isolated.
H & S seem to have got our players fit at least, so i personally think we should just press,press and press again - the opposition in this league under pressure aren't great, its only when  they are under pressure that you can exploit their  shortcomings.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 6
80sglory
September 28, 2011, 1:05am
Guest User
Quoted from Maringer

It is very rare that a set piece actually picks a player out, unless you are talking about a ball going near-post for a flick-on or back post to knock it across the goal. Generally, what you need to do is whip it in to a dangerous area and make sure your players are attacking that space.

Sorry my fault wasn't clear I meant from open play.
I agree we should whip those balls in from set pieces.
Reply: 6 - 6
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.