37 Pages Prev ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 All Recommend Thread
gobby
September 28, 2011, 8:06am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +776
Gold Stars: 7
Am I mistaken but did Duffy not miss a sitter with his head and Eldings header was between him and Pearson to who got there first? Duffy's attempt was woeful but nobody seems to be mentioning it, its all anti Elding which is a bit unfair as he was in the right place to put the defence under pressure for the goal to go in.
UTMM

PS, Nope I got the wrong header from Elding it was sitter.Doh!

The Icenian Predicition League  CHAMPION 2016/17
Beat The Clock Champion 2020/21 🏆 👏

My old man said follow the Town
And dont dilly dally on the way
We'll take Scunny in half a minute
We'll take Lincoln and all thats in it!

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 360 - 367
Havelock the Dane
September 28, 2011, 8:09am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +7 / -5
This is why we need a reserve team, so players like Elding can get his touch back again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 361 - 367
carrot top
September 28, 2011, 8:10am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +22 / -1
Approval: +817
Gold Stars: 2
Sick of all this slating of Elding. He needs support from fans for christ sake. I thought he did OK when he came on last night and agree with Gobby that he was in the right place for the goal as it put a lot of pressure on the defender.

Please get off his back

[color=black]The Ecky 1977
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 362 - 367
ginnywings
September 28, 2011, 8:47am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Strikers who score regularly,as Elding has done most of his career,know where to be and when.He has that ability and i would be more worried if he wasn't finding those spaces to miss those chances.

How many of our other strikers are getting themselves into those positions? For all Hearns good play,he doesn't lose his marker that much and apart from his goal,i can't remember him getting goalside of the defence regularly,but he has other attributes.

Seems to me that Elding was dismissed before he had kicked a ball.Let's not forget that he played in a badly struggling side at Stockport and i imagine the chances to score and keep up his confidence levels were pretty slim.

There's definitely a good striker there somewhere.His record proves that.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 363 - 367
oldun
September 28, 2011, 8:58am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Elding's game is about getting into good positions in the danger area and finishing off. He is not a target man, never has been. If he plays then his team mates need to get the ball to him in the right areas. On Saturday he took up some great positions but was never found. He kept looking fo space and losing his marker. OK he has missed one or two sitters and he needs to finish them off but you can see why he has scored loads of goals in the past. I have a concern about the team not making the most of corner kicks. Another 12 corners last night, that makes double figures in each of the past 3 games with not a lot to show for it. something to work in training I think.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 364 - 367
springstomind
September 28, 2011, 9:16am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +322
buzzing with that goal. After completely ripping Elding a new one haha. Not a bad result given Kiddy's form and away from home and all out injuries.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 365 - 367
Garth
September 28, 2011, 9:32am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from 2972[b
]Elding's game is about getting into good positions in the danger area and finishing off. He is not a target man, never has been[/b]. If he plays then his team mates need to get the ball to him in the right areas. On Saturday he took up some great positions but was never found. He kept looking fo space and losing his marker. OK he has missed one or two sitters and he needs to finish them off but you can see why he has scored loads of goals in the past. I have a concern about the team not making the most of corner kicks. Another 12 corners last night, that makes double figures in each of the past 3 games with not a lot to show for it. something to work in training I think.

WHS    give the guy a chance, I`d sooner have a striker who misses a few and scores a few than one that never gets in those positions, even Rooney can go without for periods of time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 366 - 367
chicaneuk
September 28, 2011, 1:48pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +14 / 0
Approval: +1,486
Gold Stars: 5
Went along to the game last night and thought it was pretty good stuff. Kidderminster looked pretty decent in the first half, but as often seems to be the case for town (certainly under this new management) they came out for the second half having had a rocket from Scott & Hurst and were on top most of the time!

Some excellent saves from McKeown (think we've done well signing him!) and some good bits of play, predominantly in the second half. We needed that equaliser and to be honest I'm surprised we didn't end up beating them. They certainly had a few chances against us (their player Matt was pretty deadly and had good pace) but we had just as many including a great run and shot on target from Makofo.

It certainly helped that they had a man sent off and for once we did seem to get *some* favourable decisions by the ref.. but did have to laugh how he ended up getting abuse from our fans in the first half, and then their fans in the second half.. lots of bad decisions!

For me the one frustration still seems to be just how we finish. Looking at Kidderminster they'd make some good runs and make some excellent strikes, which really tested McKeown. However for us there always seems to be a lot of build up, and trying to pass the ball around outside the goal but never actually committing to just wellying the thing and having a shot. Everyone seems afraid to commit! We normally end up just giving it away.. there's never any immediacy.

However I still think this seasons Grimsby Town is a significant improvement over last seasons, and at this point I'm not walking away feeling disappointed for my ticket price every time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 367 - 367
37 Pages Prev ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Match Thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.