No Members and 79 Guests

One thing I've learnt this week

This thread currently has 631 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
sweetGTFC
September 22, 2011, 8:46pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
First of all my first post in absolutely ages (Perhaps in embarrassment at my previous drunken rants).  Back to the current situation:- I can't help but be despairing of some of the ill-informed, unrealistic and unreasonable 'demands' of some of our fans.  This is like a protracted 'who dun it' saga, whilst appreciating that the majority only have concern for the club they love at heart, the endless speculation and blame culture really doesn't help.  The only important thing for non-shareholding supporters is that the club has the finances to turn out a team each week, our duty is then to turn up and support the players and managers of the club we love.  We can influence the performance of the team on the pitch by getting behind them.  

Despite GrimRobs belief that TheFishy runs GTFC, the reality is somewhat different, perhaps that's just the over inflated ego of a web master.  However, the bottom line is that our collective like or dislike of the warring party's is irrelevant, ultimately the two power holders don't have a bottomless pit of finance to prop up the club, whatever the outcome the owners will rely on our support and cold hard cash through the turn-styles and merchandise purchase to keep the club afloat.  Now is not the time to turn away, never has the expression 'use it or lose it' been more relevant.  It really is in our hands irrespective of who owns what shares or who has loaned the club money.  One point I'd like to add, and this is in no way an indication of my support for either party, but ask yourself this question........ If Mr Fenty is a genuine supporter, and I for the record believe he is, do you honestly think he will take a decision that will result in the death of a club that he must love?

As ever my post is merely my opinion therefore counter or ridicule at your leisure, but back to the subject of 'One thing I've learnt (or learned, lets allow the spelling police to decide) this week.  I'm in the process of setting up a new business, I need an accountant, an operations manager, a HR manager, a communications manager, a solicitor, a business development manager and a catering manager.  from the views expressed I obviously need look no further than the Fishy for my recruitment campaign.  However the one thing I can't seem to be able to procure via the fishy are the shop floor workers, the ones that really matter and are the cornerstone of any business.  Support your club!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Borbs
September 22, 2011, 8:55pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Good post perhaps white smoke will appear over the boardroom next week and these allegedly life long supporters of GTFC will realise what damage this bickering is causing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 9
GrimRob
September 22, 2011, 9:00pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,450
Gold Stars: 114
"TheFishy runs GTFC" is tongue in cheek but what it take it to mean (and I presume David Burns too) is that public opinion appeared to influence Fenty so much. The Fishy (and by that he meant this forum) is not the only place where public opinion is expressed, but it was picked by Burns as a symbol of internet chatter generally.

I bet the board members and shareholders not on the board have taken a few looks at what he have said on here over the last few days.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 2 - 9
sweetGTFC
September 22, 2011, 9:11pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob
"TheFishy runs GTFC" is tongue in cheek but what it take it to mean (and I presume David Burns too) is that public opinion appeared to influence Fenty so much. The Fishy (and by that he meant this forum) is not the only place where public opinion is expressed, but it was picked by Burns as a symbol of internet chatter generally.

I bet the board members and shareholders not on the board have taken a few looks at what he have said on here over the last few days.

I accept your position Rob and also applaud the effort you put in to provide a vehicle for fans to express their views.  My issue therefore is that the easily influenced have perhaps allowed very serious decisions to be influenced by the anonymous ill-informed (generalisation but accepting that there are some who speak from a position of knowledge and understanding).  All that aside the only thing that matters to me is that I have my home town club to support, this week, next week and every week until I am no more.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 9
sweetGTFC
September 22, 2011, 9:13pm
Lager Top Drinker
P.S.  That T-Shirt you sold me four years ago has a hole just below the collar, any chance of a refund or replacement?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 9
MuddyWaters
September 22, 2011, 9:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from sweetGTFC
First of all my first post in absolutely ages (Perhaps in embarrassment at my previous drunken rants).  Back to the current situation:- I can't help but be despairing of some of the ill-informed, unrealistic and unreasonable 'demands' of some of our fans.  This is like a protracted 'who dun it' saga, whilst appreciating that the majority only have concern for the club they love at heart, the endless speculation and blame culture really doesn't help.  The only important thing for non-shareholding supporters is that the club has the finances to turn out a team each week, our duty is then to turn up and support the players and managers of the club we love.  We can influence the performance of the team on the pitch by getting behind them.  

Despite GrimRobs belief that TheFishy runs GTFC, the reality is somewhat different, perhaps that's just the over inflated ego of a web master.  However, the bottom line is that our collective like or dislike of the warring party's is irrelevant, ultimately the two power holders don't have a bottomless pit of finance to prop up the club, whatever the outcome the owners will rely on our support and cold hard cash through the turn-styles and merchandise purchase to keep the club afloat.  Now is not the time to turn away, never has the expression 'use it or lose it' been more relevant.  It really is in our hands irrespective of who owns what shares or who has loaned the club money.  One point I'd like to add, and this is in no way an indication of my support for either party, but ask yourself this question........ If Mr Fenty is a genuine supporter, and I for the record believe he is, do you honestly think he will take a decision that will result in the death of a club that he must love?

As ever my post is merely my opinion therefore counter or ridicule at your leisure, but back to the subject of 'One thing I've learnt (or learned, lets allow the spelling police to decide) this week.  I'm in the process of setting up a new business, I need an accountant, an operations manager, a HR manager, a communications manager, a solicitor, a business development manager and a catering manager.  from the views expressed I obviously need look no further than the Fishy for my recruitment campaign.  However the one thing I can't seem to be able to procure via the fishy are the shop floor workers, the ones that really matter and are the cornerstone of any business.  Support your club!!!

Give me a PM, I do business planning for a living!!

Private Message
Reply: 5 - 9
sweetGTFC
September 22, 2011, 9:29pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Give me a PM, I do business planning for a living!!

Sorry but the setting up a new business part was a slight distortion on the truth.  I suppose like most forum members I'm somewhat less than I'm comfortable admitting to.  Best of luck with your venture.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 9
80sglory
September 22, 2011, 9:55pm
Guest User
sweetgtfc,

It's all well and good giving fans the emotional cry to arms but Fenty said:

"While this situation continues and control sits outside the board room, I do not suspect anyone will be willing to provide money to meet losses.
Would anyone with any sense really expect them to?"

Do you expect fans to "step up to the plate" to meet the losses ?
Or are we just the 'shop floor workers' without any sense ?

If Fenty isn't willing to fund the losses, why should the fans ?
Reply: 7 - 9
sweetGTFC
September 22, 2011, 10:12pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from 1600
sweetgtfc,

It's all well and good giving fans the emotional cry to arms but Fenty said:

"While this situation continues and control sits outside the board room, I do not suspect anyone will be willing to provide money to meet losses.
Would anyone with any sense really expect them to?"

Do you expect fans to "step up to the plate" to meet the losses ?
Or are we just the 'shop floor workers' without any sense ?

If Fenty isn't willing to fund the losses, why should the fans ?

Actually I'm not an overly emotional person but if that's your perception then so be it.  'If Fenty (he does have a first name by the way) isn't willing to fund the losses, why should the fans'.  Very simple answer my friend, forget the money men, we turn up because we have an allegiance/love mainly through birthplace or family, it isn't something you can turn on and off at random.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 9
80sglory
September 22, 2011, 10:20pm
Guest User
When did I mention your emotions ?

Yes I do know we turn up because we have an allegiance/love and we do.

But you're the one asking fans to go the extra mile for the club when it seems Mr Fenty(so sorry !  ) isn't willing to do the same right now.

So just posing the question and wondering about your view on it.

No problem with your view and I suppose you're right but will you also be asking Mr Fenty (and Mr Parker) to do the same too ?
Reply: 9 - 9
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › One thing I've learnt this week

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.