1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Paris Mariner
September 21, 2011, 2:51pm
www.theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +809
I didn't attend the match last night but I've read the GET report (which reads well for GTFC in my opinion), my brother went to the game and has informed me that, in his opinion, we played well and you could see the winner was coming.

Now, lots of people came on here last night blasting another mediocre performance and had a go at one or two of our players. Again.

Am I stupid or is 9 points from the last 4 games not a bad return? OK, our players can be inconsistent - Makofo and Eagle's crosses may only be successful 2 out 10 times but is that not what you get at this level? Is that not why these players are playing for GTFC and not a League 1 or 2 side?

A win is a win in my book and had it not been for such a shoddy start we'd be much further up the table already! Look how close it is at the minute though, several teams on a similar amount of points from top to bottom and The Town seemingly heading in a positive direction. So for a change, can we try and be positive regarding the team going into the next couple of games and looking back at the last result?

Up the Mariners!

bilbaogroundguide.wordpress.com
ingoldale.tumblr.com Football and gig ticket blog
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
RoboCod
September 21, 2011, 3:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.90
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Fair point. It's a shame 9 points from 12 is being overshadowed by other events. I'd like to add to this that our 'midweek hoodoo' seems well and truly banished too.
We barely ever seemed to win in midweek games under Newell and Woods.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 9
Devonmatt
September 21, 2011, 3:28pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +19 / -3
Approval: +18
Very good point RC, I had forgotten about the midweek curse which stretched back several seasons I think?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 9
lew chaterleys lover
September 21, 2011, 3:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,758
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Paris Mariner
I didn't attend the match last night but I've read the GET report (which reads well for GTFC in my opinion), my brother went to the game and has informed me that, in his opinion, we played well and you could see the winner was coming.

Now, lots of people came on here last night blasting another mediocre performance and had a go at one or two of our players. Again.

Am I stupid or is 9 points from the last 4 games not a bad return? OK, our players can be inconsistent - Makofo and Eagle's crosses may only be successful 2 out 10 times but is that not what you get at this level? Is that not why these players are playing for GTFC and not a League 1 or 2 side?

A win is a win in my book and had it not been for such a shoddy start we'd be much further up the table already! Look how close it is at the minute though, several teams on a similar amount of points from top to bottom and The Town seemingly heading in a positive direction. So for a change, can we try and be positive regarding the team going into the next couple of games and looking back at the last result?

Up the Mariners!

Your brother is right - we did play well and the Stockport game aside we seem to be heading in the right direction - on the field at least!
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 9
upthestripes
September 21, 2011, 3:45pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +68 / -8
Approval: +7
Thinking short-term, very happy.
Thinking long-term, very worried.
Complete mixture of emotions but in honesty the worry is overshadowing recent results for me which is gutting in itself as I'd really like to be enjoying them more.

[img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb71/levite_photo/town/2959063.jpg[/img]

Hitman Hearn - BP Gangsta
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 9
ginnywings
September 21, 2011, 3:54pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
I'd like to counter that by saying i don't think we did play particularly well and they were not a very good side,which means we have only beaten sides that are not very good thus far.

However,i'm heartened by our performances of late and thought we played a lot better in defeat against Darlo and by all accounts,were unlucky at Gateshead.

I feel we are lacking in confidence and decisiveness in both boxes,which is born out by our goal difference.We have only scored one goal away from home,although it did give us three points to be fair and we always seem to contrive to give the opposition a goal from virtually nothing.

I also take issue with the statement that poor delivery into the box is forgiveable because of the level we play at.As an amateur footballer for many years,i have played alongside many a player who could cross a ball with more accuracy,especially from set pieces,than some of our "professional" players and to constantly hit the first man or loop the ball into the keepers hands is something that needs to be eradicated,especially as our general all round play is better and we are getting a lot of corners and free kicks.Pearson is deadly from corners as his past record attests but he hasn't looked like getting anything so far,thus negating one of our strengths.

I am delighted we have won 3 games out of 4 but in the past,it has been two steps forward and one step back.When we need to kick on and win those all important 6 pointers ,we have usually failed and not climbed the table,when the opportunity has been there.

In summary,i think we are heading in the right direction and if/when we start to beat the Wrexhams of this world (saturday hopefully) and the confidence that comes with it,then we will be able to say we are ready to challenge.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 9
Paris Mariner
September 21, 2011, 4:03pm
Main Stander
Nothing was mentioned regarding "challenging" just pushing forwards in the right direction. I agree that our set pieces could be better and I made that point in another thread yesterday - it's something that surprises me given that RS an PH come from inferior divisions where set pieces generally offer good opportunities to score.

Of the team who are currently challenging, we've only played Gateshead (by all accounts unlucky), Fleetwood (robbed by a dirty team and a poor ref) and Darlo (unlucky again) so perhaps we do have more reason to be optimistic. You can only beat what's in front of you and current form shows we're improving at that.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 6 - 9
ginnywings
September 21, 2011, 4:19pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Paris Mariner
Nothing was mentioned regarding "challenging" just pushing forwards in the right direction. I agree that our set pieces could be better and I made that point in another thread yesterday - it's something that surprises me given that RS an PH come from inferior divisions where set pieces generally offer good opportunities to score.

Of the team who are currently challenging, we've only played Gateshead (by all accounts unlucky), Fleetwood (robbed by a dirty team and a poor ref) and Darlo (unlucky again) so perhaps we do have more reason to be optimistic. You can only beat what's in front of you and current form shows we're improving at that.

Then i agree with you.We are pushing in the right direction.

I just don't feel,like some,that we played particularly well last night and gave a few reasons why i thought that.If we hadn't won that game,i think the reports from attendees would have been different.Also,those i was sat with last night all thought we were ok and deserved the win but we're still a work in progress.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 9
Paris Mariner
September 21, 2011, 4:41pm
Main Stander
I agree we're a work in progress. I was just looking for a little positivity in light of recent results.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 8 - 9
acko338
September 21, 2011, 4:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +44 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Gold Stars: 33
Steady up the defence to not give away freebie goals, sort out proper corner takers and half the on field battles and worries will go away.

Confidence will bring more win results.

If we are forcing 15 + corners in a match and Pearson doesn't get the chance for one header, then it's wrong to keep Eagle taking them.

We need every opportunity to score, and these set pieces are being wasted badly !

Can no one else kick a dead ball from the corner flag???

The players have to concentrate on their on field work and let the two antagonists at the top play out their power game until the victor has control once and for all, with a new chairman in place !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 9
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Post about the football

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.