This thread currently has 1,764 views. Print
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Keelbysaint
September 21, 2011, 4:19pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Quoted from upthestripes
There are clubs that survive on smaller gates who also don't have rich chairpersons.
It would make life a lot harder for us certainly, but would we really be doomed?

im sure it is not going to come to this, but with the loss we are making, how would we make it to the end of the season?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 19
DJ Mera
September 21, 2011, 4:59pm
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +18 / 0
Approval: +1
Quoted from carrot top
Either MP knows some wealthy individual ready to take over and purchase his shares from him or we are in a very bad situation. Oh for the benefit of hindsight. If only we had gone into admin on the back of ITV Digital way back then, we may not have been in this mess today. AFC Grimsby doesn't have the same ring to it somehow.

That was my first thought on Monday when I read about Fenty - Leicester & Ipswich both went into admin around that time and they havn't done to bad since have they ?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 19
malkamalka
September 21, 2011, 5:07pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +150
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from DJ Mera

That was my first thought on Monday when I read about Fenty - Leicester & Ipswich both went into admin around that time and they havn't done to bad since have they ?

Because our biggest two creditors were HMRC and the bank which held a mortgage on BP. HMRC had a winding up order in place, so we couldn't go into admin. Then the bank would have foreclosed on the mortgage anyway so we would have ended up with no ground, no club, and directors with no money.

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." (Jimi Hendrix)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 19
upthestripes
September 21, 2011, 5:29pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +68 / -8
Approval: +7
Quoted from malkamalka

Because our biggest two creditors were HMRC and the bank which held a mortgage on BP. HMRC had a winding up order in place, so we couldn't go into admin. Then the bank would have foreclosed on the mortgage anyway so we would have ended up with no ground, no club, and directors with no money.

Apart from that though?  

[img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb71/levite_photo/town/2959063.jpg[/img]

Hitman Hearn - BP Gangsta
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 19
cmackenzie4
September 21, 2011, 5:34pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.24
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from grimsby pete
Unless Fenty or someone puts his own money in,

It's part time for most of the players next year,

AND

Years of non league footy for us.

Thats cheered me right up Pete  

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 19
JazzMariner
September 21, 2011, 5:35pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Rep Score: +8 / -6
You pesimistic sods! We could be back in League 2 by the start of next season with additional financial backing and a new chairman.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 19
cmackenzie4
September 21, 2011, 5:37pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.24
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from JazzMariner
You pesimistic sods! We could be back in League 2 by the start of next season with additional financial backing and a new chairman.  

Thats more like it jazz  

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 19
tashee69
September 21, 2011, 7:37pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +28 / -4
Approval: +970
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from JazzMariner

Well keep your fingers crossed that I win big on the eurolottery

Baldrick ! The only impression you can do is that of a man with no talent !!
GTFC team 09/10 - Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 19
Claudius Tiberius Smith
September 21, 2011, 8:15pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +3
[color=red][/color]
Quoted from grimsby pete
Unless Fenty or someone puts his own money in,

It's part time for most of the players next year,AND

Years of non league footy for us.

Lets just "think outside of the box" for a moment,.
I.M.O. most of the lower levels ie. L1, L2,  BSP, & Conf N & S are "in the Sh#t" & may well be trading at a loss. This could continue for several years as the world wide recession looks like it may be getting worse, & people are increasingly more worried about their jobs, cost of living, inflation, poor returns on savings etc.etc.etc. These extra demands on the pocket are not being taken into account by football clubs (except a couple of clubs that are promoting offers on season tickets examples are Hartlepool & Bradford City.) The players at Plymouth were all asked months ago to accept a pay cut, & with one exception they all refused, now the club are in admin, & the players haven't been paid their full wages for ages. If they had been factory workers they would all have been put on a 2 day week. It seems to me that footballers are holier than everyone else & recession proof! I.M.O. players should be paid a much lower basic wage but with good incentives based on "bums on seats" & league position.
I believe that there may well be several chairmen that have had enough of chucking wads of cash at their club & are considering going part time. Perhaps after the first one does it then several will  see the light & follow the example.
I think that Fenty has hinted that this is the path that Town may have to follow, but rest assured loads of other clubs will be in the same boat.

Proud to be a Pleb!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 19
Devonmatt
September 21, 2011, 8:22pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +19 / -3
Approval: +18
[color=red][/color]

Lets just "think outside of the box" for a moment,.
I.M.O. most of the lower levels ie. L1, L2,  BSP, & Conf N & S are "in the Sh#t" & may well be trading at a loss. This could continue for several years as the world wide recession looks like it may be getting worse, & people are increasingly more worried about their jobs, cost of living, inflation, poor returns on savings etc.etc.etc. These extra demands on the pocket are not being taken into account by football clubs (except a couple of clubs that are promoting offers on season tickets examples are Hartlepool & Bradford City.) The players at Plymouth were all asked months ago to accept a pay cut, & with one exception they all refused, now the club are in admin, & the players haven't been paid their full wages for ages. If they had been factory workers they would all have been put on a 2 day week. It seems to me that footballers are holier than everyone else & recession proof! I.M.O. players should be paid a much lower basic wage but with good incentives based on "bums on seats" & league position.
I believe that there may well be several chairmen that have had enough of chucking wads of cash at their club & are considering going part time. Perhaps after the first one does it then several will  see the light & follow the example.
I think that Fenty has hinted that this is the path that Town may have to follow, but rest assured loads of other clubs will be in the same boat.

CTS you are spot on with this.  The coming two years will, IMHO, represent a unique opportunity for football clubs to reorganise their cost base.  Outside of the top two divisions footballers are going to have to recognise their true value and that value is no where near what they have been over the last few years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 19
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Cutting our cloth

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.