Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Change needed?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 158 Guests

Change needed?

This thread currently has 2,735 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
AdamHaddock
September 18, 2011, 12:38pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +37 / -5
Approval: +2,838
Gold Stars: 26
We should definitely make a few changes for Tuesday as some players are just not effective.

..............McKeown
Wood Pearson I'anson Green
Church Disley Thanoj
Hearn Duffy Eagle

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 23
marinette
September 18, 2011, 1:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +38 / -4
Approval: +320
Gold Stars: 3
Having been slightly distrustful of last weekend's 'glorious' victory, I'm now a bit disgruntled.  It's only September, and it doesn't really matter, but 17th in the league is still not very comforting.  The thought of 'changes' doesn't fill me with enthusiasm either.  I heard Hurst say there may well be 'changes' after yesterday. I can't help wondering if change after change after change got us into the position we're in, in the first place.

The way I see it, we've got a relatively young side, some of whom are inexperienced at this level.  Perhaps they need a bit of stability and time to settle down, not constant changing.  We also have a fairly small squad, so whatever changes are likely to be made, I can't see them being very earth shattering or inspirational.

Not fishing for any predictions here, but is anyone still confident that we are going to make the play-offs?  I'd like to see a bit of inspiration on the pitch - I warm to players such as Serge and Bradley Wood who seem to give everything, and I think we've got some youngsters coming through who are potentially good players for the future, but what about the here and now?  Where is the inspiration?  I don't see it.

Private Message
Reply: 11 - 23
80sglory
September 18, 2011, 3:21pm
Guest User
Maybe the inspiration is 2 home games coming up - get 6 points and it's 12 pts from 15 which is promotion form.
One game are a time...
Reply: 12 - 23
jonnyboy82
September 18, 2011, 3:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from 1600

Why do I need to get out more and not you ?
Because I've got football ideas or can string more than a few sentences together ?

Pardon me for having an opinion, I just care about the club's existence and want it to be successful to survive  - do you ?!!
Or you think it's certain to last forever or that everyone running the club must always knows what they're doing ?

Yeah right, "keep the faith", it's always worked before !  

Anyway, assume whatever you like, no skin off my nose.
I'm just here for the greater good of GTFC because I've been provenly right time and time again.
Ooops sorry can't say the club might have got it wrong or look like I'm trying to "show off"  
Think I enjoy wasting my time on here ?
Think I give a honestly give a toss what people think about me ? You don't get +36/-26 for nothing !
If I wanted to make friends I'd be pissing about on my mobile or on facebook.

Just bear in mind you might not always be smiling if the sh1t hits the fan and we hit new lows or worse, there's no club left....  
Or does that not matter either ?  

Maybe I should just intercourse off and leave the club to rot - a lot of fans don't seem to give an excrement what happens just so long as the club's authority is worshipped so why should I care ?

I could also save my own time and money like so many before me have done, and give it up as a bad job.
Or maybe just stop caring, say nothing and let GTFC die a slow death whilst crossing my fingers.
I'll do that shall I ?....

your right 80`s,intercourse em

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 23
Keelbysaint
September 18, 2011, 4:11pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Quoted from 1600

I agree, not convinced at all - sounds like no-one played well today and the service to the front players was awful.
Listening to Hurst on MP he says the amount of space between the front players and the rest was too big and we didn't learn to play it in shorter to them.
Is this why people were reporting us hoofing the ball and there was little understanding between players ?
Sounds about right...

If you're creating sodomist all or can't keep possession from the back I don't see how you can single out Hearn as the problem as he's one of the best bringing other players in.

So this whole idea that you can change strikers and magic a hatful of goals is missing the point IMO.

Out of the goals we've scored this season how many of them have been from "moves" ?
Let's go through them....

Cambridge - Thompson - corner. Duffy - corner.
Darlington - YES (from a Coulson breakaway!)
Forest Green - Serge robbed their goalie, Coulo scored the follow up.
Hayes & Yeading - "gimme" into Duffy's path, Hearn cross for Duffy = YES(another header !), Bradley Wood fluke.

So 6 goals, 2 which you could call "open play moves" ?

Where's the passing & possession football to unlock defences ?

Ok I accept we've created chances and not had much luck but still feel there's plenty of work to be done going forward.

I agree - he's no wide player - can't cross very well, hasn't got a great touch and can't beat his player very often.

Loves to come centrally, run with ball (in space), link up and score goals !

Convinced this is the main reason why.

It's all well and good the manager saying he has to do a job for the team, but if it's not a temporary thing and we're not playing to our strengths week in week out then maybe it's complete folly to persevere long term - better to change it sooner rather than later !

People may want to pretend the squad is "balanced" til they're blue in the face to pretend everything is hunky dory but they're only prolonging the inevitable and helping make things worse IMO.
Sooner we face up to REALITY instead of pretending we don't have problems the better for the club and for everyone !  

Sod innefective wide players playing 4-4-2 even Makofo looks more dangerous in the box !
Firm up the centre, get their @rses shifting to win, keep and pass the ball and get Coulson up front or behind a front 2 in a 4-3-3 !!!

Team for Tuesday

..........................McKeown
Wood.......Kempson.......Pearson......Ridley
..........Church........Disley........Artus
..........................Coulson
.................Duffy.............Hearn

I agree with where your coming from, but im not sure they will change the formation. Things are not working as they are, thats for sure. all of the players seem short on confidence, which im sure is part of the problem. this for me is what needs to be addressed. you cannot play football, or look like winning with a team that go out nervous and down on themselves. Whether this is something that has come from training, from the poor start, or from signing players who are not used to the pressure of playing for a propper club, or a mixture of them all.

Its becoming a no win situation, as if they leave things as they are and try to settle a team, people slate them. if they change things and it doesnt work, well where do you go from there.

Were really missing connells goals from last season, as he took his chances, which is what the new signings are not doing YET

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 23
jock dock tower
September 18, 2011, 5:13pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
A few thoughts on Saturday. Town were woeful. Distribution was poor, although they did try at times to play the ball on the deck. There was a lot of humping the ball up to the front two, which usually gives possession back straight away to the defending team. Can't recall anyone going down to the byline and crossing the ball back once - or is that a feeble attempt at trying to mix the old game with it's much poorer modern counterpart? They had a ginger in the middle of the park that dictated the whole game. Speaking to some County fans in the Crown pub after the game, he was only playing because two other players were out. We were off the pace, slack in marking, nil movement, etc. What can you really expect for Hearn if he's not getting decent distribution? Bring back Bore.....

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 23
80sglory
September 18, 2011, 5:31pm
Guest User
KeelbySaint, thanks for your comments.
Confidence - a very good point !

Funny you'd have thought they might have been more confident with the 3-0 win.
Is it because they were away from home ?
I'd like to think so but who knows, I'm not totally convinced.

Quoted from Keelbysaint
Its becoming a no win situation, as if they leave things as they are and try to settle a team, people slate them. if they change things and it doesnt work, well where do you go from there.

I appreciate and take your point and said myself it wasn't any easy decision, but maybe all the more reason to change things around AWAY from home where there's slightly less pressure.
Then if you lose at least you've got some slack/excuses and can go back to the winning team with home advantage...
As it is we've lost playing the perceived best team.

At the end of the day, there will always be some pressure whether you're winning or losing and you can't please all fans all of the time.

I'm sure some fans might have moaned at changing the team round had we done that and lost, but as it happens we've lost anyway.
Not just that but out of the fans that would have moaned, none of them would have had any answer about how long you keep playing with the same team. The reason is obvious - because it's almost impossible for a squad to keep doing it week in week out.

Remember even Hurst said it was a squad game - I really didn't mind them playing the same team but they didn't really go for it or rise to the occassion which is a bit disappointing. Maybe it's conficence like you say but is it about having a positive attitude too ?

Hurst now says he didn't tell them to sit behind the ball.
Suppose I can go with it but when you read his pre-match comment about being prepared for Stockport to take the game to us and look how we've shaped up defensively in all our away games, I'm not entirely convinced he told them to go out and attack for 90 minutes either.

I just think we had little to lose by changing things around but now we're in a trickier situation.
I guess that's exactly why your comment "if they change things and it doesnt work, well where do you go from there." is now true ?
Reply: 16 - 23
mariner91
September 18, 2011, 6:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,748
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from jock dock tower
A few thoughts on Saturday. Town were woeful. Distribution was poor, although they did try at times to play the ball on the deck. There was a lot of humping the ball up to the front two, which usually gives possession back straight away to the defending team. Can't recall anyone going down to the byline and crossing the ball back once - or is that a feeble attempt at trying to mix the old game with it's much poorer modern counterpart? They had a ginger in the middle of the park that dictated the whole game. Speaking to some County fans in the Crown pub after the game, he was only playing because two other players were out. We were off the pace, slack in marking, nil movement, etc. What can you really expect for Hearn if he's not getting decent distribution? Bring back Bore.....

Think you're right about the byline bit. We have nippy wide players who seem unable to cross a ball accurately (Makofo and Coulson) so get them running at the defenders and cutting it back with pace, nobody can mess that ball up its simple but effective.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 23
barralad
September 18, 2011, 6:14pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,299
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from jock dock tower

I can count on one finger the number of times we put a telling cross into the box. The most disappointing aspect of the whole performance was our dead ball delivery. We had quite a few corners and a couple of free kicks in potentially dangerous areas but each time the ball when it was delivered gave the keeper a chance for an easy catch or didn't beat the first defender. Forwards thrive on service but we provided them with precious little. Having said that the lad marking Hearn did a great job on him. They'd obviously had him watched.
We did TRY to play some "on the deck" football but the application was woeful and for large parts of the game we were passed off the park.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 23
barralad
September 18, 2011, 6:28pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,299
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from 1600

I appreciate and take your point and said myself it wasn't any easy decision, but maybe all the more reason to change things around AWAY from home where there's slightly less pressure.
Then if you lose at least you've got some slack/excuses and can go back to the winning team with home advantage...
As it is we've lost playing the perceived best team.

At the end of the day, there will always be some pressure whether you're winning or losing and you can't please all fans all of the time.

I'm sure some fans might have moaned at changing the team round had we done that and lost, but as it happens we've lost anyway.
Not just that but out of the fans that would have moaned, none of them would have had any answer about how long you keep playing with the same team. The reason is obvious - because it's almost impossible for a squad to keep doing it week in week out.

Remember even Hurst said it was a squad game - I really didn't mind them playing the same team but they didn't really go for it or rise to the occassion which is a bit disappointing. Maybe it's conficence like you say but is it about having a positive attitude too ?

Hurst now says he didn't tell them to sit behind the ball.
Suppose I can go with it but when you read his pre-match comment about being prepared for Stockport to take the game to us and look how we've shaped up defensively in all our away games, I'm not entirely convinced he told them to go out and attack for 90 minutes either.

I just think we had little to lose by changing things around but now we're in a trickier situation.
I guess that's exactly why your comment "if they change things and it doesnt work, well where do you go from there." is now true ?

Several points which I'd like to make (providing you don't have a go at me for replying to your posts...)

I saw no evidence that they "sat behind the ball". County used the wings and pushed into the space left by our midfielders playing too centrally. This is my big issue with 4-3-3. Time and again Wood (particularly) and Green were left rather exposed.
Surely only a suicidal manager would tell his team to go out and attack for 90 minutes away from home. I assume your post is the latest in a few where you made the suggestion that we should have changed things around. Apologies for not having the time to go back over the last few days but given our injury situation our options were limited. The injury to Spencer meant our only forward option appeared to be the introduction of Elding (much to the hysterical delight of the County fans!) in a like for like swap with Duffy. Personally I think we will live to rue the day we decided to do away with the reserves team. Poor old Church looks well short of match practice and quite often yesterday there was frustration on his face when he couldn't do what he wanted to with the ball because his touch wasn't there.
Again personally I'd like to see Eagle start on Tuesday even though I'm not convinced at his ability to cross the ball in effectively.
Do you mean we should have changed the formation? If so I'm with you on that score.....

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 23
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Change needed?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.