1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
bax
September 12, 2011, 12:02pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +25 / -3
Approval: +2,645
Gold Stars: 30
One of the things I thought we did really well on saturday was closing players down, especially in the opposition's defensive third. Although he lost the ball a lot, Serge did really well to win the ball back. Infact the first two goals both came as Town won the ball back 20 yards or so from goal and crossed for Duffy.  Yesterday's Non League Paper suggests the facts kind of backed that up - we've committed more fouls than all but four teams and have had more corners than all but two, suggesting we're trying to push up and pin teams back in their own areas of the pitch.  I've written a blog in a bit more depth here: http://wp.me/p1z5Us-bm

Personally I think that kind of bite and harrassment is what we've been missing for many years - defending from the front and giving sides less time on the ball.
Logged Offline
Private Message
BIGChris
September 12, 2011, 12:11pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
WHS,

I posted last season under Woods that we had the tendancy to drop off, set up two banks of 4 and let thave the ball. All very well at the top level, when players have the skills to exploit the spaces but presurise players in the BSP and you invaribly win the ball back
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 3
80sglory
September 12, 2011, 3:46pm
Guest User
I concur we got stuck in but thought we did it better 2nd half when we were ahead (Churchy helps).
Also don't think we're doing it half as much as we saw in pre-season - just watch the first few minutes of the Barnsley game and compare the two...

It's in OUR defensive third that I worry - at times thought we were ball watching, dropping deep, giving them time to play and not getting close enough or pushing them out of our final third enough.
Not the only game I've seen it happen either.

It's natural for players to "contain", defend deep or even protect what they've got but you won't always be able to get away with it against the better teams - even Cambridge hit the post late on when we should have killed them off at 2-1.

Personally I think we've got the potential to do even better and if we do, we could be a very good team.
Reply: 2 - 3
acko338
September 12, 2011, 7:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +44 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Gold Stars: 33
If results keep improving, and that will only be proven in time and against teams like Stockport and Wrexham over the next couple of weeks, then we will see if the pushing up to create errors closer to the opponents' penalty and goal areas is going to last.

One thing I do know that is fans like to see pressure on opposition defences as the excitement grows, fans are happier with the team efforts as a whole and if results come from this type of play, then the crowds will very slowly return to see a better playing style.

Fans like good players with lots of skill, they also appreciate players giving their all for 90 minutes for a team result.

Saturday seemed to be another small step forward in the correct direction - maybe more time for training and manager information is eventually paying dividends.

The ongoing form of both Mafoko and Duffy is a great bonus, and if the rest can do this magic task of "gelling together", then a target must be to encourage 5,000 fans into BP by Xmas against Lincoln, not counting away fans, just Town supporters - please note the word  - supporters, those behind the team !!

One game at a time - I'd love to see small improvements each week until the closet fans have returned to get behind the team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 3
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Getting stuck in

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.