Private Message
Reply: 1 - 37
upthestripes
September 6, 2011, 8:55pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +68 / -8
Approval: +7
Didn't even know they were playing! Who's it against?

[img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb71/levite_photo/town/2959063.jpg[/img]

Hitman Hearn - BP Gangsta
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 37
Madeleymariner
September 6, 2011, 8:55pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,076
Gold Stars: 52
Wales
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 37
upthestripes
September 6, 2011, 8:56pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Wales

Cheers

[img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb71/levite_photo/town/2959063.jpg[/img]

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 37
Madeleymariner
September 6, 2011, 8:57pm

Vodka Drinker
1 shot on target between them in 45 mins and that was the goal
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 37
bobbyturtle
September 6, 2011, 9:05pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +29 / -4
Approval: +954
Gold Stars: 18
come on england

Icenian Prediction League 2015 (Game 2) winner
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 37
upthestripes
September 6, 2011, 9:39pm

Vodka Drinker
What a load of sh1t.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 37
bobbyturtle
September 6, 2011, 9:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +29 / -4
Approval: +954
Gold Stars: 18
typical british match, not a great spectacle but 3 points

Icenian Prediction League 2015 (Game 2) winner
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 37
ginnywings
September 6, 2011, 9:54pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
England were pants.Pinned in their own half for most of the second period by Wales ffs.

I almost wish they don't qualify to save us the embarrassment of watching them struggle in the summer against someone like Latvia.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 37
tashee69
September 6, 2011, 10:12pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +28 / -4
Approval: +972
Gold Stars: 23
Hands up all those people who had a go against town, saying its pointless talking about the missed chances or that they scored and hardly troubled the keeper.
Now I hear it when we win
I'm only up to the rating of a lager drinker, there a lot of WhINE drinkers on here  
We won, lets be miserable about it.  

Baldrick ! The only impression you can do is that of a man with no talent !!
GTFC team 09/10 - Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 37
upthestripes
September 6, 2011, 10:42pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from tashee69
Hands up all those people who had a go against town, saying its pointless talking about the missed chances or that they scored and hardly troubled the keeper.
I'm only up to the rating of a lager drinker, there a lot of WhINE drinkers on here  

To be honest, a bit sadly, I really don't care any more, win draw or lose.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 37
zorro_is_a_Mariner
September 6, 2011, 10:51pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +30 / -6
Approval: +1,369
Gold Stars: 4
Wins a win imo

Gtfc all the way
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 37
Limerick Mariner
September 6, 2011, 10:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,784
Gold Stars: 138
The England that are worth watching are already world champions - they beat India four nil. The other England worth watching will start the difficult task of reaching a third world cup final in a row on Saturday morning v Argentina. Funny, there are no over the top hysterics about that England team, nor the cricket team. They just quietly go about their business.

Not sold out tonight, maybe alot of others feel the way most of us do on this forum.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 37
SuperBobbyC
September 6, 2011, 11:10pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Genuinely hard to believe that anybody gives that shower of sh*te, masquerading as an England team, any chance of winning anything.  2 hours of my life wasted tonight.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 37
tashee69
September 6, 2011, 11:15pm

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
The England that are worth watching are already world champions - they beat India four nil. The other England worth watching will start the difficult task of reaching a third world cup final in a row on Saturday morning v Argentina. Funny, there are no over the top hysterics about that England team, nor the cricket team. They just quietly go about their business.

Not sold out tonight, maybe alot of others feel the way most of us do on this forum.

I think, although they do get acknowledged, they don't get the hype because they're not really sports that are played by a lot of nations.
I've always been of the opinion that the football team is overhyped, yes we may have a good standard league but that doesn't mean you are the best nation. A "team" will beat a group of "individuals" the majority of the time and with our team there are too many overpaid egos in the squad.

GTFC team 09/10 - Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 37
Limerick Mariner
September 6, 2011, 11:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from tashee69

I think, although they do get acknowledged, they don't get the hype because they're not really sports that are played by a lot of nations.
I've always been of the opinion that the football team is overhyped, yes we may have a good standard league but that doesn't mean you are the best nation. A "team" will beat a group of "individuals" the majority of the time and with our team there are too many overpaid egos in the squad.

England 2007 prime example - written off before the start of the RWC as no hopers, lost the first game to the Saffas 36-0. Then pulled themselves together, showed some superb team spirit, played to their strengths, worked around their weaknesses and rubbed the noses of the fancied Wallabies in the dirt in Marseilles and then did the same to France in Stade de France to reach the final. Ingurlund seem to do the opposite, think they are better than they are as individuals, zero team spirit and consistently underperformed as a team since about 60 minutes into the quarter final in 1970.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 37
tashee69
September 6, 2011, 11:35pm

Cocktail Drinker
I also meant to say that when you look at the England team, are they as good as you think or do people just think it's England we should beat these. Since I can remember watching football we've got to the same amount of semi-finals in major competitions as Poland and Sweden, 2, does that really label us a top team. If you could place England in the Prem, where do you think they would finish.
The closest we've been in recent years is when Sven took us to 3 quarter finals and he was labelled a disgrace.

Private Message
Reply: 17 - 37
FishOutOfWater
September 7, 2011, 12:27am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,590
Gold Stars: 37
"4th in the world, you're having a laugh"....the Welsh fans hit the nail right on the head with this chant
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 18 - 37
gtfc71
September 7, 2011, 12:37am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +8
Quoted from tashee69
I also meant to say that when you look at the England team, are they as good as you think or do people just think it's England we should beat these.

If you could place England in the Prem, where do you think they would finish.

I think your top statement is very true and is similar to GTFC in the Blue Square. Expectation does not match up with reality.

If England were a Premiership side? I'll have a stab and say Tottenham. Capable of beating anyone on their day, a sprinkling of big name players  but not going to win the title and make qualification for the big one always look difficult (although I must say I nearly went for Everton).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 37
Brisbane Mariner
September 7, 2011, 6:40am

UTM!
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +163
Quoted from tashee69

Love it. I totally agree. A win is a win surely better than playing great football and being undone by a freak goal! At least we are not San Marino!

Its hard enough remembering my opinions without remembering my reasons for them!
Brisbane - beautiful one day and perfect the next! UTM!!!

Religion: An Idiotic holding of firm belief in an unknown entity. The more challenging it gets, the firmer the hold. Atheists are often condemned as enemies, infidels or morons. Strange rituals are performed at the weekend. My Religion is GTFC!
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 20 - 37
Les Brechin
September 7, 2011, 7:59am

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,730
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

I admit that cricket isn't my game but I just can't seem to get very patriotic about the England Cricket Team as these days it's becoming more and more like an All Nations XI.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 37
Mariner_501
September 7, 2011, 8:40am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +14 / -8
Approval: +223
Gold Stars: 28
I'm done with England after the world cup. It was the easiest group we could possibly wish for and if we topped it we would have had an easy run up to the semi finals. But no, we manage to intercourse up and finish second and get Germany. How everyone jumped on the bandwagon with the media "oh were gonna win the world cup" after we managed to scrape a 1-0 win against some shite team when it was obvious the result was actually going to mean we met Germany next round.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 37
marinerian
September 7, 2011, 9:37am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +33 / -16
Approval: +15
So people join another 'bandwaggon' of slating their own nation. Yes we didn't play well we concentrated on nullifying instead of playing to our strenghts which was width,pace and power.

We could not risk not winning the game. The team had to be patient and professional.

FFS give Wales credit, they did play some good football and did try to attack, christ how many teams come to Wembley and try to do both?

Try being proud of being English, intercourse the media, those idiots do not write true feelings, they write to sell papers using sensationalism to create moods of hysteria.

Look at the players coming through, some exciting prospects indeed. We have fullbacks who can get forward, skillfull wingers and some fantastic forwards and yet you all moan.

Lets just concentrate getting to the Euro 2012 finals and lets see if we can actually perform in well in them, should we qualify!

UP THE MARINERS
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 37
Garth
September 7, 2011, 9:54am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
Get real we won the match, we are only a small country in a small island and our top league is only what it is because of the many foreign players in it, we have no given right to win anything and on our day can beat any team, also of course that theory applies to most of the other so called top teams
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 37
BIGChris
September 7, 2011, 10:02am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.96
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Wales are rated on par with Haiti.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 37
grimsby pete
September 7, 2011, 10:07am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.78
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,842
Gold Stars: 222
Just remember when you watch town and they are not playing well and banging 6 goals in against a team ranked 113 places below us,

They are not being paid £100,000 per week,

So if we ONLY beat H+Y  1-0 on saturday,

Thats a good result !!!!

BECAUSE

They are above us in the league.

PS. I KNOW 10 YEARS AGO WE WERE TOP OF THE CHAMPIONSHIP,

BUT,

ITS NOT FECKING 10 YEARS AGO.

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 37
Biccys
September 7, 2011, 10:10am
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from marinerian
So people join another 'bandwaggon' of slating their own nation. Yes we didn't play well we concentrated on nullifying instead of playing to our strenghts which was width,pace and power.

We could not risk not winning the game. The team had to be patient and professional.

FFS give Wales credit, they did play some good football and did try to attack, christ how many teams come to Wembley and try to do both?

Try being proud of being English, intercourse the media, those idiots do not write true feelings, they write to sell papers using sensationalism to create moods of hysteria.

Look at the players coming through, some exciting prospects indeed. We have fullbacks who can get forward, skillfull wingers and some fantastic forwards and yet you all moan.

Lets just concentrate getting to the Euro 2012 finals and lets see if we can actually perform in well in them, should we qualify!

I agree. I still am left cold by the England games though.

You're right, wales did try and play the British way, predictably. We've said for years that England try and play the Continental patient, keep ball way, which doesn't suit. We're a thud and blunder team, always have been. "Get into 'em," has been more apt for a team than England. girl private footing around the back 4 just isn't the way English players play.

Look at some of our players of recent years. Gerrard, great vision and passing ability and a wicked shot but now injury prone. Rooney, he's no doubt a very talented player, but he loses out on the ball all the time. Lampard, what does he offer exactly? Stability and composure on the ball and again a tremendous shot? That's about it for me. Terry. A defensive liability. The opposition will have a penalty shout whenever he plays, guaranteed. I can't believe players such as these were labelled as World class by the media and Joe Public swallows it whole.

The youth coming through are very promising. I've always been a fan of Young, Wilshire and now Smalling looks to be a competent fullback as well. Downing is no World class player but he certainly can put the ball where he wants 90% of the time and appears 2 footed.

IMO the future looks promising for England. I just hope I can be enthused by them as I was in '96 once again.

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 27 - 37
topuphere666
September 7, 2011, 10:42am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.18
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +1,843
Gold Stars: 3
If Earnshaw could finish it would have been exactly what Wales deserved, England got very lucky last night, but we did the job and got 3 points. It wasn't pretty but then again do England ever play brilliant football, ala Barca/Man Yooo - where its quick one touch passing and loads of movement.
We played well against Bulgaria (first half) and the team shouldn't have changed for the Wales game, bringing Lampard back into the middle seemed to bring back a lackluster performance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 37
ginnywings
September 7, 2011, 10:42am

Recovering Alcoholic
Every few years we get a crop of "promising" youngsters and they turn into the same old sh1te in an England shirt.

We were at home,against a very young inexperienced team,a few of whom play for teams outside the Prem and yet they looked the better footballing side to me and certainly created enough chances to scupper our qualification.

Somehow,we are ranked 4th in the world and they are ranked with teams who don't even have a professinal league.I don't think the criticism of England is unwarranted but that's just my opinion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 37
Les Brechin
September 7, 2011, 10:51am

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,730
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from ginnywings
Every few years we get a crop of "promising" youngsters and they turn into the same old sh1te in an England shirt.

We were at home,against a very young inexperienced team,a few of whom play for teams outside the Prem and yet they looked the better footballing side to me and certainly created enough chances to scupper our qualification.

Somehow,we are ranked 4th in the world and they are ranked with teams who don't even have a professinal league.I don't think the criticism of England is unwarranted but that's just my opinion.

Wales don't have a professional league either though do they?

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 37
ginnywings
September 7, 2011, 10:59am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Les Brechin

Wales don't have a professional league either though do they?

Fair point,but any good young Welsh players will soon be picked up by a professional outfit,whereas the Haiti's of this world are a bit isolated.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 37
Tommy
September 7, 2011, 11:01am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,869
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Biccys

You're right, wales did try and play the British way, predictably. We've said for years that England try and play the Continental patient, keep ball way, which doesn't suit. We're a thud and blunder team, always have been. "Get into 'em," has been more apt for a team than England. girl private footing around the back 4 just isn't the way English players play.

It will be easier for England to play it out from the back and more natural for us to keep possession of the ball when we bring players in the team who are capable of it.

When Phil Jones is one of our centre backs you will see a guy as good/comfortable on the ball as the Spanish defenders who half the time look like midfielders. Its painful watching Terry play one-footed on his wrong side and have to pass back to the keeper so much because he can't adjust his position and his feet to find an England player. Its cringeworthy watching Ashley Cole in possession who plays like it's a hot potato and looks like he's going to excrement himself whenever he's got the ball.

Barry is there to do a job that he does fairly well but he's very slow to turn out and pass (no zip in his passes). Lampard is also slow passing the ball and is so predictable it's untrue. You can read what he's going to do as soon as he gets the ball and he doesn't have the ability to play a creative defence-splitting pass. It's a crime that Sven shifted Scholes to left midfield to accomodate this guy in the middle.

The future will be better than our present though I'm sure. Jones and Smalling centre backs with some full backs that can defend and attack, Cleverley and Wilshere in the middle passing and moving sharply and were halfway there. People need to ignore whatever the national papers say about the England team though. As someone's already said they sensationalise everything to either extreme to sell papers and seem to pride themselves on being able to get a manager sacked. People with a mind of their own should see we are miles behind the likes of Spain, Holland and Germany. But some of the players coming through might help us close the gap if we don't build them up too much and if they keep playing simple football (i.e. Not the Gerrard/Beckham 70 yard pass attempts that come off one in three goes and make themselves look good).

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 37
marinerian
September 7, 2011, 11:30am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +33 / -16
Approval: +15
Quoted from Biccys

Look at some of our players of recent years. Gerrard, great vision and passing ability and a wicked shot but now injury prone. Rooney, he's no doubt a very talented player, but he loses out on the ball all the time. Lampard, what does he offer exactly? Stability and composure on the ball and again a tremendous shot? That's about it for me. Terry. A defensive liability. The opposition will have a penalty shout whenever he plays, guaranteed. I can't believe players such as these were labelled as World class by the media and Joe Public swallows it whole.

The youth coming through are very promising. I've always been a fan of Young, Wilshire and now Smalling looks to be a competent fullback as well. Downing is no World class player but he certainly can put the ball where he wants 90% of the time and appears 2 footed.

IMO the future looks promising for England. I just hope I can be enthused by them as I was in '96 once again.

For me the Baines has to be our left back, he is much better at defending, his set pieces are world class and he can score goals.

Terry is past his best. He would be ok in a 3 man defense to attack the high balls. He has had his time.

Our best midfielder is Scott Parker, he offers us everything, having him and a fit Gerrard in a match squad would really worry the opposition.

Lampard is not the player he was and has never really hit any kind of decent form for England, a shame because he has been fantastic at club level.

As you said we have Smalling,Jones as well as players like Richards, both Johnsons,Wilshire,Bent, Crouch in and around the team.

It shouldn't be all doom and gloom, if we can get the Wembley issue off our back we would be a real danger.

The biggest mistake for me was revamping Wembley and stopping the team playing around the country!

UP THE MARINERS
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 37
tashee69
September 7, 2011, 12:52pm

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from BIGChris
Wales are rated on par with Haiti.

I would like to see those two play each other and I think I know who may win comfortably.
These rankings are just like fifa themselves,a joke. Any country that can move up two places after not playing sums it up.
How often do Haiti play the teams that Wales play?

Private Message
Reply: 34 - 37
Limerick Mariner
September 7, 2011, 2:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Les Brechin

I admit that cricket isn't my game but I just can't seem to get very patriotic about the England Cricket Team as these days it's becoming more and more like an All Nations XI.

Well an Irishman and a few Saffa born but only Jonathan Trott of the Saffas doesn't have at least one English parent. Sadly, the number of international quality cricketers coming through the state comprehensive education system here seems at an all time low (where are the next Trueman / Boycotts / Flintoff going to come from)   - but I'm not going to get into that otherwise I'll start ranting...

The England XV on Saturday will have a few overseas born players all but one with at least one English parent, the exception being the hulking Manu Tuilagi of the widely televaised left jab: left jab: right hook fame. Samoan born, Leicester educated from 12. Again state school representation scandalously low...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 37
Madeleymariner
September 7, 2011, 5:51pm

Vodka Drinker
I dont mind if England dont entertain as I have the option to not bother watching it, but we should win more easily than they did last night. I worry how we will cope against teams with top class players like Germany, Italy & Spain at later stages
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 37
STB
September 7, 2011, 6:00pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +66 / -22
I love it when England play and I enjoyed the match against possibly the best Welsh team I've seen play.
I dream of town having a hatful of 'lucky' 1-0 wins like they did under . . . . . . sorry SH & Superjonnycon nostalgia ban just kicked in.  

Former lover of all things GTFC . . .
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 37
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › England

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.