Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 107 Guests

Great Expectations

This thread currently has 674 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
80sglory
September 4, 2011, 3:53am
Guest User
Nice to see everyone so pleased including those saying we can fly high now(!) but a thought just occured to me on the subject.

When S&H asked for patience saying things will take time, does that mean their hopes don't realistically reach as far as e.g. the playoffs ?
What if we narrowly beat H&Y with another "workmanlike performance" ?

Just wonder if the hopes and expectations of optimistic fans will outweight the managers or whether theirs will also change like the fans do after every good result and leap up the table.

What will dictate their thoughts - wins ? good performances ? consistency ? league position ? improvement ? (OMG I sound like Rob Scott)

Given they like to think of themselves as "winners" what will be going through their heads with every small step forward ?
Setting ambitious objectives for the season or a cautious "wait and see" approach ?

After 7 games in do you think they'll be feeling quietly optimistic for the season on the back of some good performances or slightly concerned ?
Do you think they know any more about where we'll end up than we do ?!!      
Discuss...
Bignic69
September 4, 2011, 7:19am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +540
Gold Stars: 5
Don't think we are bad enough to get relegated or actually be in that scrap tail end of the season, however we are certainly not good enough or consistent enough to get promoted or even make the playoffs. Mid table mediocracy for this season and keep a core of players and the management team so we've got a good solid base to start from next season. Me personally am done with chopping and changing year in year out, i don't think its doing anyone any good.

Back of the net
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 5
upthestripes
September 4, 2011, 10:44am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +68 / -8
Approval: +7
I would be slightly disappointed not to finish in the play offs but think this season is really about building that platform which can be strengthened next year. After that, howvever, I will be expecting us to get in the POs at least.
We all want to go up this year but I think this time we all really need some patience, such a rare thing in footy these days.

I don't think we played awefully yesterday, I think we just set out to try something different (maybe/hopefully just away from home) and credit to H&S it worked. They said we may have to 'win ugly' [sic] and I think that's exactly what we did.
Or my second thought is that we are concentrating on defense and gettng that in order before we start to work more on attacking.

[img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb71/levite_photo/town/2959063.jpg[/img]

Hitman Hearn - BP Gangsta
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 5
Roast Em Bobby
September 4, 2011, 11:08am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,721
Gold Stars: 44
I've expected the play-offs since the start of the season, and I still expect that to be the case.

80's if you remember the fans forum - Rob Scott also said he was aiming for promotion. I know he toned that down in his recent statements (understandably given our initial form and also maybe just trying to manage fans expectations). Public statements aside, I don't doubt for a minute that they are still looking to achieve a play-off place.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 5
AdamHaddock
September 4, 2011, 12:15pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,839
Gold Stars: 26
I thought we were in with a reasonable shout of the title before the Fleetwood game. Now I think we'd do well to finish 5th.

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 5
80sglory
September 4, 2011, 1:59pm
Guest User
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby
80's if you remember the fans forum - Rob Scott also said he was aiming for promotion. I know he toned that down in his recent statements (understandably given our initial form and also maybe just trying to manage fans expectations). Public statements aside, I don't doubt for a minute that they are still looking to achieve a play-off place.

Good points thanks.
I agree he has toned down expectations and avoided all talk of the playoffs but I'd agree they're still looking to achieve a playoff place.

Who wouldn't be I suppose - whether they feel confident they can or not is another matter but that may change with some momentum which is what I'm sure they're looking for as much as we all are.
Reply: 5 - 5
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Great Expectations

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.