1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 13, 2011, 11:39am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Great innings by Cook regardless of the poor quality bowling the Indians served up for a lot of the time.

I was wondering if anyone remembers when John Edrich got 310 not out against New Zealand at Headingley in 1965. In those days test matches were played Thursday to Tuesday with a day off on Sunday. Edrich was not out on the Saturday night and next day came here to play in a charity match at Ross Group. If memory serves me right he was bowled out by Geoff Robinson but allowed to stay in because of his current popularity. I think he went back to Headingley and completed his 310 next day.

There were some cracking Sunday games at Ross Group in those days featuring some of the greats of the time like Trueman and Roy Gilchrist who started his run up actually beyond the boundary opposite the pavilion. Ross had some good players of their own - the Aussie John Rutherford and West Indian Ivan Madray spring to mind. Then they had Norman McVicker of course.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
grimsby pete
August 13, 2011, 11:50am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,827
Gold Stars: 222
Great innings by Cook regardless of the poor quality bowling the Indians served up for a lot of the time.

I was wondering if anyone remembers when John Edrich got 310 not out against New Zealand at Headingley in 1965. In those days test matches were played Thursday to Tuesday with a day off on Sunday. Edrich was not out on the Saturday night and next day came here to play in a charity match at Ross Group. If memory serves me right he was bowled out by Geoff Robinson but allowed to stay in because of his current popularity. I think he went back to Headingley and completed his 310 next day.

There were some cracking Sunday games at Ross Group in those days featuring some of the greats of the time like Trueman and Roy Gilchrist who started his run up actually beyond the boundary opposite the pavilion. Ross had some good players of their own - the Aussie John Rutherford and West Indian Ivan Madray spring to mind. Then they had Norman McVicker of course.

Yes I remember all of that chips,

Once I saw Freddie Trueman bowl left handed off a 4 yard run up and he was still the fastest bowler on the pitch.

There was  a lot of good cricket in GY/CLEE at that time, Mcvicker went on to play at a lot higher level ,

Martin Maslin was very good at Cleethorpes and could have gone on to better things but he was in bussiness and did not feel the need to turn pro, I think.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 4
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 13, 2011, 1:05pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from grimsby pete

Yes I remember all of that chips,

Once I saw Freddie Trueman bowl left handed off a 4 yard run up and he was still the fastest bowler on the pitch.

There was  a lot of good cricket in GY/CLEE at that time, Mcvicker went on to play at a lot higher level ,

Martin Maslin was very good at Cleethorpes and could have gone on to better things but he was in bussiness and did not feel the need to turn pro, I think.

I forgot about Brian Evans. For a time he and McVicar were playing for Lincolnshire together as well as Ross Group.

When I first started watching Jeff Todd was still playing and he was a fine batsman.

Don Wilson was my favourite Yorkshire player of the 60s. When he bowled I used to go behind his arm at the sight screen to try and see how he did it. The ball used to do tricks through the air and then go off nearly at right angles when it hit the pitch. Geoff Cope played at Ross as well. He was in the middle of his chucking controversy and played for Yorkshire Seconds. You could see what his problem was straightaway, he elbow used to straighten like a baseball pitcher's.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 4
Paddymariner
August 13, 2011, 3:20pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1
My parents took me to watch a game between Ross and the West Indies when I was about 5. My only recollection is a ball hit by Rohan Kanhai heading straight for my face. My Dad stuck out his hand and caught the ball about 1 millionth of a second before it removed my head.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 4
jock dock tower
August 13, 2011, 5:43pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Used to go to the Ross Club many a time for the cricket. Saw Jimmy Bink's and Ray Illingworth have their testimonials there ( a VERY young David Gower was playing for Leicester then) Madray won 2 caps for the WI and was a class player, playing out his time - wonder how much he got paid? Norman McVicker went on to play for Warwickshire for many years and was plumb accurate for the very good seam bowler he was. Right about Martin Maslin...undoubtedly could have been a pro had he chosen to go down that route. Did anyone ever watch the Ross Group football club when they were a power in the Lincs League in the early 60's? Used to be an apprentice to a couple of the players.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 4
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Test Match - Cook & Edrich

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.