2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
CatchOfTheDay
July 26, 2011, 6:23pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +77
Gold Stars: 1
hi i have only just got the fishy so i was just wondering how do you upload an picture from the internet to be your avatar?
Logged Offline
Private Message
tonyfordsmicrofro
July 26, 2011, 6:36pm

Lower Findus
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +37 / -4
Approval: +26
Find the picture you want on the web and copy the URL. Then click on the Member Centre Tab, this should take you to your profile. On the left hand side of your profile details you'll see a list of options. Under 'Edit Profile' click on avatar settings, then just paste the URL into the box that says avatar URL. Click save at the bottom of the page and you should be done.

*edit* I think the URL has to be a link to a JPG.

You fill up my senses,
Like a barrel of Tetley's,
Like a packet of Woodbine,
Like a good pinch of snuff,
Like a night out in Cleethorpes,
Like a greasy chip butty,
O, Super Black and Whites,
Come fill me again
Na na naa naa naa naaaa TOWN!!
Na na naa naa na na naaaa
Na na naa naa na naaa naaa
Na na naa naa naa naaaaaaa!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 11
CatchOfTheDay
July 26, 2011, 7:10pm

Table Wine Drinker
thanks
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 11
Maringer
July 26, 2011, 7:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,704
Gold Stars: 189
From certain animated pics seen on this site, I'm guessing GIF files can be linked to as well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 11
CatchOfTheDay
July 26, 2011, 7:28pm

Table Wine Drinker
GIF?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 11
Theimperialcoroner
July 26, 2011, 7:34pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,318
Gold Stars: 103
GILF?????????? That's just mucky.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 11
Super Clive
July 26, 2011, 7:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +55 / -24
Approval: +1
yep they can indeed
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 11
nelly_gtfc
July 26, 2011, 7:59pm
Guest User
Quoted from tonyfordsmicrofro
Find the picture you want on the web and copy the URL. Then click on the Member Centre Tab, this should take you to your profile. On the left hand side of your profile details you'll see a list of options. Under 'Edit Profile' click on avatar settings, then just paste the URL into the box that says avatar URL. Click save at the bottom of the page and you should be done.

*edit* I think the URL has to be a link to a JPG.
I know it's somewhat boring but Hot-linking is illegal and anyone found guilty could face criminal prosecution, it's often referred to as bandwidth theft - it actually costs the URL owner money, proving bandwidth theft is easy.

To get around this you can always save the picture to your computer then using a Free Image Hosting website like [url=http://imageshack.us/content.php?page=uploader]Imageshack - Uploader[/url] or [url=http://photobucket.com/]http://photobucket.com/[/url] etc etc.

Also using images from other websites that are copyrighted can also face criminal prosecution unless you get permission from the owners of the pictures, you may even get asked to pay a royalty fee.

This is why alot of pictures on sites like wiki often get removed unless it can be proved you are the owner of the actual picture.

Saying all this, I have used Images from the Grimsby Town website and thus I should really ask permission from Grimsby Town to use, if I get asked to remove them then I would no questions asked.

At least people know the legality issues concerning images on websites.  
Reply: 7 - 11
tonyfordsmicrofro
July 26, 2011, 9:09pm

Lower Findus
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +37 / -4
Approval: +26
Quoted from 470
I know it's somewhat boring but Hot-linking is illegal and anyone found guilty could face criminal prosecution, it's often referred to as bandwidth theft - it actually costs the URL owner money, proving bandwidth theft is easy.

To get around this you can always save the picture to your computer then using a Free Image Hosting website like [url=http://imageshack.us/content.php?page=uploader]Imageshack - Uploader[/url] or [url=http://photobucket.com/]http://photobucket.com/[/url] etc etc.

Also using images from other websites that are copyrighted can also face criminal prosecution unless you get permission from the owners of the pictures, you may even get asked to pay a royalty fee.

This is why alot of pictures on sites like wiki often get removed unless it can be proved you are the owner of the actual picture.

Saying all this, I have used Images from the Grimsby Town website and thus I should really ask permission from Grimsby Town to use, if I get asked to remove them then I would no questions asked.

At least people know the legality issues concerning images on websites.  

I was going to mention all of this but it must have slipped my mind

Good to see you got your avatar on CotD.

You fill up my senses,
Like a barrel of Tetley's,
Like a packet of Woodbine,
Like a good pinch of snuff,
Like a night out in Cleethorpes,
Like a greasy chip butty,
O, Super Black and Whites,
Come fill me again
Na na naa naa naa naaaa TOWN!!
Na na naa naa na na naaaa
Na na naa naa na naaa naaa
Na na naa naa naa naaaaaaa!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 11
GrimRob
July 26, 2011, 9:22pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,470
Gold Stars: 115
hate to be boring but you should only use pictures which are free of copyright or you own the copyright on. It's in our forum rules.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 9 - 11
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › avatar

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.