Wrawby_Mariner
July 22, 2011, 12:44am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +50 / -13
Approval: +862
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from Gtfc grassroots
Grimsby lesuire centre is planned to be closed I believe as is scartho pool.

If thats the case then it could be a win win all round
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 10 - 46
RexFannies
July 22, 2011, 1:26am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +517
Gold Stars: 5
I think i see a newt !!

[img]http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/7876/gtfcstadium.jpg[/img][/quote]

The Only Way Is Up
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 11 - 46
nelly_gtfc
July 22, 2011, 2:58am
Guest User
The only problems I can see with this land is it's previous existance as a rubbish dump, I remember about 20 year ago all the ground just going up in flames! I was there when it was happening!

Apparantly it was due to the high concentrations of natural methane gas produced and I'm guessing it would all need probally digging up bigtime to get rid of it all, not sure how expensive that would be.

If it was turned into a Stadium / Retail function, the roadways etc, not sure how it could be done as it would bring alot of traffic congestion to populated areas? Boulevard Ave / Cromwell Road?
Reply: 12 - 46
AdamHaddock
July 22, 2011, 3:27am

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +37 / -5
Approval: +2,842
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from 470
If it was turned into a Stadium / Retail function, the roadways etc, not sure how it could be done as it would bring alot of traffic congestion to populated areas? Boulevard Ave / Cromwell Road?

Not if they reopen Cleveland bridge to vehicles again, then they could get straight through to the A180 without going up Boulevard Avenue. Also, people who live in Wybers, Willows etc can just go over the new bridge opposite the leisure centre.

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 46
July 22, 2011, 7:12am
Guest User
£81 million needs to be found. Well, that was the Great Coates project amount and without an anchor tenant we're buggered.
Reply: 14 - 46
acko338
July 22, 2011, 7:22am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +44 / -6
Approval: +3,213
Gold Stars: 33
Hasn't Freeman Street already got full regeneration plans and proposals in through the Freemen of Grimsby?

Plans are on the wall on the corridor leading to Contract CIC Lincs offices and training facilities on the market for open viewing.

But, it would be a hell of a vision to try to relocate the leisure centre / ice rink, swimming pool, what about a hotel facility there as well, and small businesses spaces in units on the ground itself.

On all local transport routes, so could limit the need for huge car parking facilities - do the local council a favour by regenerating a huge dead area in the town, enliven the local shops and pubs and food outlets - be a genuine rival to Freshney Place as it could bring back the M&S type conglomerates to the area.

The council could contribute / invest via their regeneration funds, and outside retailers wanting to be part of being on there?

EEC funding for regeneration already in place, I think ?

Sell Blundell Park and make it into social housing at affordable rates with good design to attract buyers and renters into the area. That would benefit the locals, shopkeepers and traders with more 7 day a week families around their area, not soccer fans and troubles with parking on two days per week during the season.

If only I had won that £161 million !!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 46
ginnywings
July 22, 2011, 8:09am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from acko338
Hasn't Freeman Street already got full regeneration plans and proposals in through the Freemen of Grimsby?

Plans are on the wall on the corridor leading to Contract CIC Lincs offices and training facilities on the market for open viewing.

But, it would be a hell of a vision to try to relocate the leisure centre / ice rink, swimming pool, what about a hotel facility there as well, and small businesses spaces in units on the ground itself.

On all local transport routes, so could limit the need for huge car parking facilities - do the local council a favour by regenerating a huge dead area in the town, enliven the local shops and pubs and food outlets - be a genuine rival to Freshney Place as it could bring back the M&S type conglomerates to the area.

The council could contribute / invest via their regeneration funds, and outside retailers wanting to be part of being on there?

EEC funding for regeneration already in place, I think ?

Sell Blundell Park and make it into social housing at affordable rates with good design to attract buyers and renters into the area. That would benefit the locals, shopkeepers and traders with more 7 day a week families around their area, not soccer fans and troubles with parking on two days per week during the season.

If only I had won that £161 million !!

All good stuff but it needs our council to suddenly become far sighted and pro-active.Not something they are reknowned for.A lot of northern towns like ours will just be left to their own devices by this government because frankly,they don't give a crap about places like this,so i wouldn't expect a lot of help there.

I asked in the other thread whether there was European money available for re-generation because the Freemo re-vamp plans have been kicking around for ages without anything actually getting started.Remember them being on the front page of the GET years ago.The town could do with a boost but the way things are going,the recession is set to worsen.Not the best of times to be looking for investment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 46
July 22, 2011, 8:15am
Guest User
Don't want to sound a killjoy but all this about the council investing ain't going to happen, the council are in the excrement financially hence the closures, the cancellations, and job cuts that are ongoing at the min. Any spare cash they can scrape together goes on the all important gy/clee in bloom bollox. Maybe if they ask the Icelandic banks nicely for our money back we could use some of this?
Reply: 17 - 46
Super Clive
July 22, 2011, 8:36am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +55 / -24
Approval: +1
Quoted from gtfc98
More importantly, why are you now 'newfootballer' as opposed to 'oldfootballer'??

Zzzzzzzzz

Don't you ever give it a rest, moaning at everything that does not  concern you, get a grip will you for intercourse sake.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 46
The_Laughing_Mariner
July 22, 2011, 8:56am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,047
Gold Stars: 10
They capped the methane about 15 years ago.  they dredged the river and dumped the mud there.  I was on the security gate through the summer letting the lorries in and keeping the gypos out.

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 46
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › TOWNS NEW GROUND,WILL IT EVER HAPPEN

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.