July 18, 2011, 4:42pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.78
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,842
Gold Stars: 222
2 year deal,

BUT

Has the club the option for another year.

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 26
80sglory
July 18, 2011, 4:57pm
Guest User
Best listen to Fenty at the fans forum on that one !  
Reply: 2 - 26
AndyGTFC
July 18, 2011, 4:57pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +808
Gold Stars: 5
Who's Connell?  

Seriously though, got no hard feelings. You can't blame someone for wanting to further their career. Good luck to him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 26
gtfc98
July 18, 2011, 5:09pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.73
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,061
Gold Stars: 68
Connell's gone? Have I missed something?? I thought in Fridays telegraph Fenty said he wasn't for sale....

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 26
cod.gtfc
July 18, 2011, 5:31pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +31 / -14
Approval: -1
Quoted from gtfc98
Connell's gone? Have I missed something?? I thought in Fridays telegraph Fenty said he wasn't for sale....

he did but like all good politicians he followed that statement with another that started "Unless...."

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 26
Townfantom
July 18, 2011, 5:40pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +20 / -6
Approval: -1
It breaks my heart seeing him in that Swindon shirt  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 26
cmackenzie4
July 18, 2011, 5:46pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.23
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from AndyGTFC
Who's Connell?  

Seriously though, got no hard feelings. You can't blame someone for wanting to further their career. Good luck to him.

WHS  

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 26
Kris2
July 18, 2011, 6:14pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
Wah wah Connell is gone boo Fenty! You lied when you said you wouldn't sell him to a non league club...Oh wait you didn't. Boo Fenty how dare you sell a player who clearly wants to stay and play for us...Oh wait you didn't do that either....Well Boo Fenty anyway because these people need somebody to blame for all lifes problems dammit!
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 26
80sglory
July 18, 2011, 6:37pm
Guest User
Equally if anyones bothered, Connells coming up on RH soon.
Reply: 9 - 26
upthestripes
July 18, 2011, 9:25pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +68 / -8
Approval: +7
Quoted from 1600
Equally if anyones bothered, Connells coming up on RH soon.

What did he say? That he was heartbroken to leave us etc?

[img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb71/levite_photo/town/2959063.jpg[/img]

Hitman Hearn - BP Gangsta
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 26
80sglory
July 18, 2011, 9:43pm
Guest User
Pretty much what we already knew.
That he was happy until his dream move came along and didn't fancy going anywhere else that cropped up.
Great memories of Grimsby etc.
Reply: 11 - 26
geir
July 18, 2011, 9:47pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +1,385
Gold Stars: 9
Good luck to Alan Connell! Thanks for the goals! He is now unfollowed on my Twitter account. The Connell saga is over - long live the new king(s) at Blundell Park!  

My non-football related blog: http://geirmykl.wordpress.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 26
marinerian
July 18, 2011, 10:28pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +33 / -16
Approval: +15
oh well onwards and upwards, lets get 2/3 more decent young, energetic players with potential, first that Vardey from Halifax would be nice.

Couldn't we look at Scandinavian players? Many would fit the criteria, big strong,athletic and also they tend to play in summer months leaving them half a year free to play football

UP THE MARINERS
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 26
geir
July 18, 2011, 11:19pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +1,385
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from marinerian

Couldn't we look at Scandinavian players? Many would fit the criteria, big strong,athletic and also they tend to play in summer months leaving them half a year free to play football

Good idea! I really don`t know why there isn`t more interest in this idea at the club. The second level of Norwegian football is very similar to the BSP. Some clubs can afford to pay decent wages, but most clubs consists of part-time players on little more than breadcrumbs. My guess is that a lot of players would welcome a chance to become pro. Most speak the queen`s english fairly well (like me).
If I could help the managers and the club in any way regarding this - you know where to find me.

Here is an example from a typical football game in the Norwegian second tier (Adeccoligaen). This game is between two teams that never have or will go up in the Norwegian Premier division, but are regulars at the 2nd tier.
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiuIy1gn1nE&feature=related[/url]

One example more:
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLz-AXxGors&feature=related[/url]

UTM

My non-football related blog: http://geirmykl.wordpress.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 26
Harry Haddock
July 19, 2011, 12:01am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +18 / -8
Approval: +670
Look on the bright side, at least Connell didn't go to Luton  

I don't think anybody can complain about him wanting to play at a higher level, closer to home etc....

At the of the day, he's helped steady the ship, we've made over 100k for him and seen some great goals

Hope he does well at Swindon.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 26
upthestripes
July 19, 2011, 12:20am

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from 1600
Pretty much what we already knew.
That he was happy until his dream move came along and didn't fancy going anywhere else that cropped up.
Great memories of Grimsby etc.

Ok, cheers, predictable, blah blah...
Well anyway S&H want players with ambition and if Al has spent all his life dreaming of playing for Swindon Town he's clearly got a huge lack of it.

Sorry, bit bitter  

[img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb71/levite_photo/town/2959063.jpg[/img]

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 26
Harry Haddock
July 19, 2011, 12:45am

Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +18 / -8
Approval: +670
Quoted from upthestripes

Ok, cheers, predictable, blah blah...
Well anyway S&H want players with ambition and if Al has spent all his life dreaming of playing for Swindon Town he's clearly got a huge lack of it.

Sorry, bit bitter  

Isn't playing in a higher league with better players being ambitious ?  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 26
WackyCod
July 19, 2011, 1:01pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +11 / 0
apparantly he had been wanting to leave since december ? and the fee will be payed over 3 years

McKeown

Silk       Garner        Miller     Townsend  

Soares    Thanoj       Disley      Coulson  

Elding        Hearn

RIP MarinerMatt24
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 26
upthestripes
July 19, 2011, 2:43pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Harry Haddock

Isn't playing in a higher league with better players being ambitious ?  

"Dreaming" about playing for Swindon? Ok, Barca or Manure, but Swindon?
Anyway it was just tongue in cheek mate

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 26
The_Laughing_Mariner
July 19, 2011, 3:04pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,047
Gold Stars: 10
Oh get copulated,  What is this, 3 years FFS.   Its only £115k, and they want 3 years.   If they want him they should pay for him up front.  What with Bennett being a drip feed over 5 years, what we sell our best players and get intercourse all for them,  Installments means the fee gets swallowed up in normal finances rather than having a war chest to replace him.

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 26
Devonmatt
July 19, 2011, 3:14pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +19 / -3
Approval: +18
Oh get copulated,  What is this, 3 years FFS.   Its only £115k, and they want 3 years.   If they want him they should pay for him up front.  What with Bennett being a drip feed over 5 years, what we sell our best players and get intercourse all for them,  Installments means the fee gets swallowed up in normal finances rather than having a war chest to replace him.

95% of football clubs are financially challenged.  Very few clubs in the football world have a proverbial pot to p1ss in.  Banks are no longer interested in offering huge loans to football clubs in respect if future earnings.  £115k, in the current market, represents a considerable amount of money.  If it is structured over three years then so be it.  And if it gets swallowed up in normal finances then so be it because we are losing 900k a year!!!!!!

BTW Fenty was on record as saying that the first installment will be going straight to the managers and if that doesn't buy you a good centre forward at this level then something is very wrong!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 26
80sglory
July 19, 2011, 3:23pm
Guest User
Oh get copulated,  What is this, 3 years FFS.   Its only £115k, and they want 3 years.   If they want him they should pay for him up front.

I agree with the sentiment but to hazard a complete guess, I do wonder if the club are suffering cash flow problems and that may be part of the motivation for the sale.
But even if that were to be true, the whole thing is confusing because we have set a good budget for promotion.
If it's not true and the club simply thinks it's a good deal or good business then you could argue they're missing the bigger picture in relation to enhancing our promotion chances when on the face of it, it looks quite important for us this season.
Reply: 22 - 26
Devonmatt
July 19, 2011, 3:27pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +19 / -3
Approval: +18
Quoted from 1600

I agree with the sentiment but to hazard a complete guess, I do wonder if the club are suffering cash flow problems and that may be part of the motivation for the sale.
But even if that were to be true, the whole thing is confusing because we have set a good budget for promotion.
If it's not true and the club simply thinks it's a good deal or good business then you could argue they're missing the bigger picture in relation to enhancing our promotion chances when on the face of it, it looks quite important for us this season.

AC wanted to go, that should by itself be enough, but on the back of the 40kish we will get this year from the transfer plus the wages we will save, (pure speculation) let's say 50k, then it strikes me that S&H will have more than enough funds available to do what they consider appropriate in the transfer market.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 26
80sglory
July 19, 2011, 3:41pm
Guest User
Of course Connell most probably wanted the dream move all along but we wanted the right deal too.
You say "AC wanted to go, that should by itself be enough" but the club weren't willing to sell at ANY price, that's the point - you don't just roll over because a player desires a move, the club turned down a number of offers before accepting.
So it all boils down to opinions about where the line should have been drawn(if at all) but like I said, we're not privvy to the clubs internal finances.
Reply: 24 - 26
mariner marc
July 19, 2011, 4:20pm
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Quoted from The Grim Reaper
sad to see him go.Big blow for our promotion hopes this season.Hope we can get a adequate replacement asap.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 26
Paddymariner
July 19, 2011, 4:28pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1

I'm sure when we pay a fee for a player, it will be by instalments as well though. Oh! hang on, we don't pay fees for players. Perhaps we should start to?
And before anyone gets pedantic, yes I know we paid £3.50 for Ademeno!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 26
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Connell completes move

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.