Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › very confident for the new season..
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 73 Guests

very confident for the new season..

This thread currently has 2,637 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
gtfc91
July 18, 2011, 2:25pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +6 / -36
Quoted from Stew0_0
Church against Hudson - No comparison at all. Church's ability to get up and down the pitch and willingness to join the attack is a breathe of fresh air compared to Hudson's effort last year.

Disley against Cummins and Leary - You can tell just in that one game that Craig's got real quality didn't make a single mis-placed pass, sat in front of the back four mopping up, winning the ball and giving it simple allowing Church the licence to get forward without the fear of the counter attack. Last seasons duo - well what is there to say.

Spencer against Peacock - Damien's an absolute unit, and when fully fit from his illness I think will be very mobile, quick and a real handful for defences. Peaks, although I really liked him was at the end of his career, certainly at this level and was a provider more than an actual goal threat which Spencer gives us now.

McKeown against Arthur - time will tell but James' clean sheet record last year gives me hope that we've signed the next Seb Brown.

Artus against Eagle - Artus looked more composed in possession and put in some good corners in second half two of which lead to a goal disallowed and Pearson effort off the bar. Has quite a cultured left foot and flexible enough to cover left back.

Pearson against Rob Atkinson - Shaun's stronger in the air, naturally left footed - which gives us a bit more balance at centre half and an obvious goal threat going forward. Not concerned that he isn't that quick as Atkinson wasn't neither and he seems to have good positional sense.

Hearn against Connell - Time again will tell if Liam has the ability to match Connell's goal scoring form, but he does add various other abilities that Alan didn't have. Firstly he's only young still, so time for further progression, pace in abundance and seemed to have aerial threat and great self-confidence. Connell of course will be missed although we yet may bring in another striker.

finally...

Gary Silk...  The only player we've signed that I think is just on par with what we already had.  Bradley Wood being out of the team at the expense of Silk would be a real shame.  Yes he sounds a reliable, consistant player, but his lack of pace and aerial ability is concerning against the qualities of Wood. Wouldn't surprise me if Gary starts the season on the bench.

All the above in mind and Yes I am confident about our chances this season.  Maybe even more so with a couple more quality signings.

UTM

agree the performance of church on saturday was one of the best i have seen for town in a long while

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 21
upthestripes
July 18, 2011, 3:14pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +68 / -8
Approval: +7
Quoted from BiloLCFC
From an outsider's perspective, Stockport and Luton are the most obvious front runners next season. Luton came in within a hair's breadth last time round and are a massive club for this division. Stockport have a manager who cut his teeth, albeit briefly, under Sven at Leicester and helped to create a good footballing side here. They are absolutely strapped for cash though and have massive problems relating to Edgeley Park so I personally can't fancy them.

That said, there is no clear front runner like there was last season with Crawley and their millions under that bent twunt Steve Evans, though Fleetwood seem to have a bit of cash behind them. I don't see Lincoln doing much or indeed any of the former league clubs other than Luton as they're all struggling with various monetary problems.

Personally I'd say playoffs would be realistic and once you're there, it's a bit of a lottery. 8/1 about Grimsby going up at Blue Square looks a decent price from where I'm sitting.

Thanks. Always good to hear an impartial view.
Don't think Luton are so 'massive' though. They're not much bigger than us and we're not a very big club!

[img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb71/levite_photo/town/2959063.jpg[/img]

Hitman Hearn - BP Gangsta
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 21
80sglory
July 18, 2011, 3:24pm
Guest User
Good summary Stew agree with almost all though think you're wrong saying Hudson wasn't willing to join in the attack, that was his main strength.
Trouble was he couldn't defend for toffee. (nor could Cummins)

Interesting you think Artus can play left back, be interested to know peoples thoughts on that.
Reply: 12 - 21
Devonmatt
July 18, 2011, 3:28pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +19 / -3
Approval: +18
Quoted from BiloLCFC
From an outsider's perspective, Stockport and Luton are the most obvious front runners next season. Luton came in within a hair's breadth last time round and are a massive club for this division. Stockport have a manager who cut his teeth, albeit briefly, under Sven at Leicester and helped to create a good footballing side here. They are absolutely strapped for cash though and have massive problems relating to Edgeley Park so I personally can't fancy them.

That said, there is no clear front runner like there was last season with Crawley and their millions under that bent twunt Steve Evans, though Fleetwood seem to have a bit of cash behind them. I don't see Lincoln doing much or indeed any of the former league clubs other than Luton as they're all struggling with various monetary problems.

Personally I'd say playoffs would be realistic and once you're there, it's a bit of a lottery. 8/1 about Grimsby going up at Blue Square looks a decent price from where I'm sitting.

Can't have Stockport at all.  I haven't looked at what they have done over the summer, and yes I know they have Hamman as manager now (never been more than a coach as I understand it) but they were in an awful state throughout last season and relied on loans to even make their team competitive (which it wasn't).  Can Stockport really rebuild from that position to have a realistic chance?  I just can't see it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 21
upthestripes
July 18, 2011, 3:31pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Devonmatt

Can't have Stockport at all.  I haven't looked at what they have done over the summer, and yes I know they have Hamman as manager now (never been more than a coach as I understand it) but they were in an awful state throughout last season and relied on loans to even make their team competitive (which it wasn't).  Can Stockport really rebuild from that position to have a realistic chance?  I just can't see it.

I highly doubt it. They've got a year of lessons to learn imo. Lincoln will be like the slow kids who are kept on cos they don't get it.

[img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb71/levite_photo/town/2959063.jpg[/img]

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 21
80sglory
July 18, 2011, 3:32pm
Guest User
Quoted from Devonmatt

You could argue we were in an awful state too.
Reply: 15 - 21
upthestripes
July 18, 2011, 3:33pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from 1600

And then you could argue that WE came 11th!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 21
Devonmatt
July 18, 2011, 3:35pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +19 / -3
Approval: +18
Quoted from 1600

It's all relative.  3 managers, 90 odd goals conceded, all kinds of financial mess, they were very lucky to finish bottom.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 21
80sglory
July 18, 2011, 3:37pm
Guest User
Quoted from upthestripes

And then you could argue that WE came 11th!

True but where would we have finished in L2 ?
Just above Stockport is my guess.
Reply: 18 - 21
upthestripes
July 18, 2011, 3:45pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from 1600

True but where would we have finished in L2 ?
Just above Stockport is my guess.

I think we'd have done alright. Always sounds a strange thing to say but with fewer bus-parking sides I think we'd have avoided relegation at least.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 21
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › very confident for the new season..

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.