This thread currently has 606 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
kingofthekippers
July 15, 2011, 10:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +39 / -4
Approval: +6
The Scunthorpe Telegraph is to cease as a daily publication and become a weekly one. How long before its' sister publication and our dear local rag goes the same way?

Even if it went weekly they'd struggle to make it worthwhile buying.

[url]http://www.thisisscunthorpe.co.uk/Telegraph-going-weekly-month/story-12948441-detail/story.html[/url]

Mr McGee, don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

Logged Offline
Private Message
petethemariner
July 15, 2011, 10:41pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
Yes, but there  are 2 differences between Scumthorpe and Grimsby - we  in GY can read and most of us are English!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 8
bax
July 15, 2011, 11:03pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +25 / -3
Approval: +2,648
Gold Stars: 30
Lincoln Echo's Editor quit in protest on Wednesday as they're also going weekly. Only a matter of time before GY follopws suit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 8
petethemariner
July 15, 2011, 11:07pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
In all seriousness, most, including me, read on line and rarely  actually buy a newspaper, i'm afraid
the dreaded curse of the internet, which  we all rely on now ,has probably signalled the end for most daily
local papers.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 8
Polish Bloke
July 16, 2011, 8:38am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Quoted from petethemariner
Yes, but there  are 2 differences between Scumthorpe and Grimsby - we  in GY can read and most of us are English!

Not in Freeman Street, actually migrants are transforming that  area just like Frodingham Road in Scunthorpe, the local councils don't care so bringing a bit of money into the area and creating jobs is one option.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 8
Polish Bloke
July 16, 2011, 8:41am
Beer Drinker
Quoted from petethemariner
In all seriousness, most, including me, read on line and rarely  actually buy a newspaper, i'm afraid
the dreaded curse of the internet, which  we all rely on now ,has probably signalled the end for most daily
local papers.

I have read the Grimsby Telegraph, there is very little 'news' in it and the letters page is dominated by the same people I read it online and evidently their revenue is now from advertising, if you have 40p a day to spare give it to a tramp on the street, tell him to save up, buy a suit and a bar of soap, prepare himself for a job interview and restore some pride into this country.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 8
Les Brechin
July 16, 2011, 9:00am

Posts Per Day: 4.15
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,737
Gold Stars: 174
It should really be called The Grimsby Yesterday Telegraph now. With it hitting the streets at stupid o'clock in the morning now any news in the latest edition is usally already common knowledge.

Gone are the days when they used to print twice daily with The Final not being printed until around 4pm in the afternoon.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 8
Polish Bloke
July 16, 2011, 9:07am
Beer Drinker
Another dead British tradition, I know everyone has the internet, mobile phones, twitter, text messages, blackberry,  24/7 news but there is something about a proper newspaper, where does this leave the Cleethorpes chronicle?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 8
Mariner Ronnie
July 17, 2011, 5:25pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from Les Brechin
It should really be called The Grimsby Yesterday Telegraph now. With it hitting the streets at stupid o'clock in the morning now any news in the latest edition is usally already common knowledge.

Gone are the days when they used to print twice daily with The Final not being printed until around 4pm in the afternoon.

yeah that wound me up too, when we had town and county and town final, the latter released at about 3 - 4 'o'clock you had all the latest news from the same day as well, shame really

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 8
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Scunthorpe Telegraph

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.