LondonMariner43
July 15, 2011, 4:01pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,979
Gold Stars: 64
Anyone else see the similarities?

I was gutted when Drinks left but we got good money and it created space in the team for Wilkinson and Lund to come through.

Connell had a great goal scoring record last season but I don't think he was a real team player.  Hearn has a great record and he's younger and hungrier.  For him, playing at a club like ours is a dream come true.  For AC it felt like it was slightly embarrassing to be at our club.  On Twitter he described himself as 'currently' playing for us.  He wanted to go and this would have been bad for the team ethos that H&S are trying to build.  We've got some much needed funds and it's time to move on.  This saga would have run all season so best got out the way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Super Clive
July 15, 2011, 4:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +55 / -24
Approval: +1
No comparison
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 16
Welwynmariner
July 15, 2011, 4:32pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +337
Gold Stars: 1
Losing Drinkell in those pre-Bosman days was a catastrophe - and we got very little for him at that time. He was a £1million+ player at least.

Losing Connell might not be - he can leave in 12 months time for nothing so we can hopefully use the money to good effect. Unfortunately I'm not so confident about the new management's ability to spot decent quality but we are where we are and will have to wait and see - Braintree will be an interesting evening
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 16
July 15, 2011, 4:49pm
Guest User
We got robbed with Drinkell!?
Reply: 3 - 16
FishOutOfWater
July 15, 2011, 9:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.13
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,590
Gold Stars: 37
Can't agree with this...we were stitched up with the fee we got for Drinkell. I've never forgiven Norwich since  

But with Connell I can't help but think the money for him is as good we could possibly get..he's not got age on his side and has had injuries in the past so it's a leap of faith for Swindon. Good luck to him and to them....but it's not the same as when we lost Drinks.

The other thing I recall is Wilkinson and Lund for a while were actually keeping Drinks out of the team...

I dare say there was something behind the scenes going on as he was probably not left out on football ability alone as imho he was much better than the two that came through after him
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 4 - 16
Paddymariner
July 15, 2011, 9:57pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1
Quoted from LondonMariner43
Anyone else see the similarities?

I was gutted when Drinks left but we got good money and it created space in the team for Wilkinson and Lund to come through.

Connell had a great goal scoring record last season but I don't think he was a real team player.  Hearn has a great record and he's younger and hungrier.  For him, playing at a club like ours is a dream come true.  For AC it felt like it was slightly embarrassing to be at our club.  On Twitter he described himself as 'currently' playing for us.  He wanted to go and this would have been bad for the team ethos that H&S are trying to build.  We've got some much needed funds and it's time to move on.  This saga would have run all season so best got out the way.

Don't think you're going to find many people on here who will agree with that. Especially those who know why that fee was decided on.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 16
Theimperialcoroner
July 15, 2011, 10:02pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,358
Gold Stars: 104
One massive difference is 3 local lads. Hearn and Connell's ilk will be off like a shot from any club they play for. Times are so different now, as are the players.
Also Drinks was player of the year in Scotland after he went to Rangers.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 16
CarlitoBrigante
July 15, 2011, 11:02pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +3 / 0
There really is no comparison.  Connell was the one piece of class we needed to help us over the line this coming season, but Drinkell was streets ahead.  Divisions ahead too.

The fact that Norwich paid a fee very similar to what Swindon have paid today but a quarter of a century ago, speaks volumes.  Especially as we all knew we'd been ripped-off back then.

I don't believe we could or should have got much more for Connell today, but I DO believe we could have turned the move down.  How much would success have been worth this coming season?  More than 100K, you can guarantee that......

Drinkell, hands-down.  I don't see any similarities, I have to say.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 16
Marinerz93
July 16, 2011, 12:50am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.55
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
After reading Drinks book it seems what he said had a bearing on the fee.  It was down to Ramsden keeping Drinks when he said that they wouldn't stand in his way if a big club came in for him.  Drinks told the tribunal that the club had promised not to stand in his way but they had.  He also told them that a certain director kept changing the goal posts and kept upping the asking fee.  Norwich wasn't the big club in question, they came afterwards and he took the chance.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 16
Eastendmariner
July 16, 2011, 1:15pm
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +942
Gold Stars: 22
Drinkells move to Norwich was a insult 300k kev was a class striker ! would of easily played at the top level if had been bought by one of the big four !!

oh by the way good luck alan .

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 16
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Alan Connell/ Kevin Drinkell

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.