4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Billybigbollox
July 14, 2011, 10:31pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +3
Quoted from Paddymariner

I think you're underestimating the power that an in demand player has. Most professionals who are the subject of transfer speculation will just get on with their work. Others, however, will pressure their club until they get a move. I've seen this work in various degrees of absurdity.
A Newcastle player who was wanted by Liverpool actually demanding to be substituted after 20 minutes. A Norwich striker, refusing to move out of the centre circle until he got his move to a giant Premiership club. Closest to home, a Town player, who insisted on taking every free kick, corner and throw in (only to give it to the opposition) until he got his move, which turned out to be a swop deal with a vastly inferior player.

Any Names ???
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 32
gtfc98
July 14, 2011, 10:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.73
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,063
Gold Stars: 68
Quoted from Paddymariner

I think you're underestimating the power that an in demand player has. Most professionals who are the subject of transfer speculation will just get on with their work. Others, however, will pressure their club until they get a move. I've seen this work in various degrees of absurdity.
A Newcastle player who was wanted by Liverpool actually demanding to be substituted after 20 minutes. A Norwich striker, refusing to move out of the centre circle until he got his move to a giant Premiership club. Closest to home, a Town player, who insisted on taking every free kick, corner and throw in (only to give it to the opposition) until he got his move, which turned out to be a swop deal with a vastly inferior player.

I can't see Connell sulking off though to be honest. That was my point.

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 32
July 14, 2011, 11:00pm
Guest User
Quoted from 1600

Personally I'm not saying I don't believe it, I just don't understand how it came about.
At the end of the day if these stories are put into the public domain they will be discussed, especially if there's some doubt what the basis or motivation for them is.

Do you have a view on the basis for this story ?
I'm not too sure you're venting your frustrations at the right persons.
Just when we think things are settled, another story pops up.

Firstly, I don't have any new football-related frustrations - I'm frustrated GTFC have been playing like sh!t for a decade, but I guess most Fishy posters can relate to that.

On the basis for the story, I'd reason that GTFC hierarchy are trying to kill absurd fan speculation by publishing an article assuring the fans that the managers are pleased to have AC on board (not too difficult to believe as he was top goal scorer last season) and that Connell doesn't want to leave to a non-league team (which isn't in dispute as far as I know).

If they (GTFC) say nothing they're accused of keeping us in the dark, and if they say something (in this case - what you would think the fans want to hear) their words are doubted and second-guessed.

If there's no problem, how can you get that across to people who want to believe (or at least suspect) there is a problem?

Have to be honest and admit I thought AC would move this summer, but everything now suggests to me that this won't happen unless megabucks are offered (every footballer has a price).

Me - I'm looking forward to this season more than any other in recent times (rightly or wrongly). UTM!
Reply: 22 - 32
The Grim Reaper
July 14, 2011, 11:42pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +2 / -30
Approval: -533
Gold Stars: 1
is there an option on his contract?

Jesus wants me to be a sunbeam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 32
80sglory
July 15, 2011, 3:11am
Guest User
Quoted from 137
On the basis for the story, I'd reason that GTFC hierarchy are trying to kill absurd fan speculation by publishing an article assuring the fans that the managers are pleased to have AC on board (not too difficult to believe as he was top goal scorer last season) and that Connell doesn't want to leave to a non-league team (which isn't in dispute as far as I know).

I'm not sure what absurd speculation we're referring to here.
If the point of the article was to stop speculation, they haven't done such a great job IMO.

Quoted from 137
If they (GTFC) say nothing they're accused of keeping us in the dark, and if they say something (in this case - what you would think the fans want to hear) their words are doubted and second-guessed.

If there's no problem, how can you get that across to people who want to believe (or at least suspect) there is a problem?

If there's nothing to report no-one is gonna complain about it are they ? Well I'm certainly not.
At the end of the day if the club decide to make statements off their own back when there's no need to and end up putting their foot in it in the process, it's their own doing.

Quoted from 137
Have to be honest and admit I thought AC would move this summer, but everything now suggests to me that this won't happen unless megabucks are offered (every footballer has a price).

Me too.

Quoted from 137

Me - I'm looking forward to this season more than any other in recent times (rightly or wrongly). UTM!

Absolutely, amen to that !!!
Let's all just get on with the season...

Quoted from The Grim Reaper
is there an option on his contract?

You're very funny.
Ask Fenty at the fans forum if you're that bothered  
Reply: 24 - 32
cod.gtfc
July 15, 2011, 7:00am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +31 / -14
Approval: -1
You really need to find something else to do 80s and stop analaysing every single word of every single sentence, you might have a better time of things
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 32
80sglory
July 15, 2011, 2:34pm
Guest User
I'm doing fine, why don't you mind your own business ?

I have to say, my suspicions about you are were fully vindicated when I did a quick search.

"All very well but we still have to accept Luton's offer."
http://www.thefishy.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?m-1309902540/s-25//#num25

Speaks volumes !
Your arguments might even carry some weight if we were a successfully run club not stuck in non league football.

Anyway, you keep playing "follow the leader" and I'll think for themselves and continue to try to keep the club on it's toes.

Oh breaking news Connell is gone....  
Well done mate, I guess you'll be linking arms with Fenty doing a dance in the streets of Grimsby tonight.
Reply: 26 - 32
cod.gtfc
July 15, 2011, 4:56pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +31 / -14
Approval: -1
Quoted from 1600
I'm doing fine, why don't you mind your own business ?

I have to say, my suspicions about you are were fully vindicated when I did a quick search.

"All very well but we still have to accept Luton's offer."
http://www.thefishy.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?m-1309902540/s-25//#num25

Speaks volumes !
Your arguments might even carry some weight if we were a successfully run club not stuck in non league football.

Anyway, you keep playing "follow the leader" and I'll think for themselves and continue to try to keep the club on it's toes.

Oh breaking news Connell is gone....  
Well done mate, I guess you'll be linking arms with Fenty doing a dance in the streets of Grimsby tonight.

errr hes not gone to Luton, because we didn't except an offer from them. Hes also gone to a league club after he handed in a transfer request, and we accepted 6 figures which was our value for him.

Stop nitpicking little things and look at the bigger picture
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 32
80sglory
July 15, 2011, 5:03pm
Guest User
YOU wanted to sell him to Luton, even Fenty isn't daft enought to do that.

Bigger picture ?  
We've sold a 29 goal marksman for relative peanuts to the clubs debt and the money we're losing hand over fist every year we're in the BSP.
It's all down to Scott, Hurst and Hearn now.
Reply: 28 - 32
RalphFilthy
July 15, 2011, 5:09pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +27
Quoted from 1600
YOU wanted to sell him to Luton, even Fenty isn't daft enought to do that.

Bigger picture ?  
We've sold a 29 goal marksman for relative peanuts to the clubs debt and the money we're losing hand over fist every year we're in the BSP.
It's all down to Scott, Hurst and Hearn now.

I don't keep up with non-league transfer fees, but I'd be interested to know how many players have been sold from this league in recent years for £100,000 or more, with said players having handed in transfer requests and only 1 year remaining on their current contracts

Bored beyond belief
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 32
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › No issue between the managers and Connell

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.