Tommy
December 16, 2010, 12:23pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Maringer
Enhua scored a few goals for us. Unfortunately, as a centre-half, he wasn't particularly good at stopping them going in at the other end.

Agree 100% with that. Never understood people's fascination with him. Played like a headless chicken running about closing down which you just shouldn't be doing as a centre back. Would have done alright as a ball-winning central midfielder i think.

Similarly, Georges Santos was another that was treated as some sort of hero and got all the end of season awards. But i also thought he was quite a poor defender. Good at individual battles or one-on-ones with players but terrible positioning and awareness. I know he came to us as a midfielder and although he got sent off in one of his only games in midfield for us (pretty sure it was against Rotherham and we eventually went down to 9 men but held on to draw), i'd have preferred to see him there.

EDIT: I appreciate Santos was a short term contract, not a loan, but whenever someone mentions Enhua i always think of Santos and how they were both highly thought of by fans but imo were part of the reason we shipped so many goals.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 75
Orange_Sauce
December 16, 2010, 12:33pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +30
David Nielsen is a great call and gets my vote. Class, class act.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 75
siy2k5
December 16, 2010, 12:34pm
Bite me!
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.86
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: -2
Dave beasant for me!

Martin pringle was also a class apart, I can still hear the crack as challinor went through the back of him!

Quoted from marinerian
If Newport win it b4 heir vist to BP, I will sit in The Osmond dressed as Little Bo-Peep for the match against them!  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 75
Tommy
December 16, 2010, 12:35pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
For me the most impressive loan players have been Andy Todd and John Oster. Todd was immense, had a presence/aura about him and was a class above everyone on the pitch everytime he played for us.
Oster was also different class the last time he was here and at that time was too good for the Championship (although maybe not quite ready for the premiership). Was a joy to watch especially in the few games when Kabba was still here too and they were linking up.

The other one that springs to my mind straight away is David Nielsen. Created a buzz and excitement only bettered by Bonetti in the time i've been watching Town. Could have gone on to become a Town hero had he signed for us like he said he was going to.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 75
December 16, 2010, 12:37pm
Guest User
Conlon. He was immense at the end of the 08/09 season. His debut for Town (3-0 against Gillingham?) was one of my favourite memories of the last few years.

Shame about the rest of his time here.  
Reply: 45 - 75
biggles9999
December 16, 2010, 12:44pm
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +367
Quoted from 97
Conlon. He was immense at the end of the 08/09 season. His debut for Town (3-0 against Gillingham?) was one of my favourite memories of the last few years.

Shame about the rest of his time here.  

Another loanee played pretty well that day, Peter Sweeney. Shame he also did a bit of a Conlon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 75
pier39
December 16, 2010, 12:54pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +0 / -3
Approval: +1
todd
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 75
Paddymariner
December 16, 2010, 1:35pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1
Quoted from Orange_Sauce
David Nielsen is a great call and gets my vote. Class, class act.

The reality is, that as an individual, he is the complete opposite of a class act.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 75
Lumpsleftbreast
December 16, 2010, 1:49pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / -1
Approval: +24
Beasant or Pouton for me.Made such a difference for us when Beasant came and Pouton because he was is one of my all time favs.

Gary Lump
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 75
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Most Impressive Players On Loan

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.